Cats Know How Much Each Of Protein, Fats, And Carbs They Need

yerrag

Here is an article from Dr. Mercola on cats, showing that cats will choose their food, given a choice, so that they will get a mix of macronutrients that are in the order of 52, 36, and 12% of total calories, for protein, fats, and carbs, respectively:

What Pet Cats Really Want to Eat

I thought to put this to the test by feeding my 3 pet cats cooked mullet (fish), coconut meat, and rice. I did not mix all of them together, but instead laid out the fish separately form the coconut meat/rice mix. I had calculated already beforehand how much fish, coconut meat, and rice was needed, and these were all served in the 56/36/23% distribution of calories. In effect, I was counting on the cats to not just eat the fish, but also the coconut meat and the rice, even if they were not mixed together. I was expecting them to eat like us people, where we don't mix together our steak and potatoes prior to eating.

As you would expect, and as I had hoped for, the cats would finish their meal with both the fish and the coconut meat/rice mix consumed. In subsequent meals, they would leave a few bones, coconut meat, and rice behind, but not so much as to make me think they weren't conscious to mix the macronutrients in the way they were programmed. The cats have the funny habit of moving around and eating from each other's bowl, and they would seem to end a meal, seemingly not interested in eating what's left, only to roam around the house, to shortly come back and finish up.

Next up will be me giving them a choice of chopsticks or spoon and fork to see if their programming allows that. :eek:

OP
yerrag

yerrag

The cats didn't have to be taught one thing: That you still need to eat some carbs as you eat protein.

Ray Peat didn't have to teach them that. Even as they are carnivores, they still need carbohydrates. I guess they knew instinctively that they need it to help them assimilate the proteins, as without carbs they would be deficient on sugar, which is needed as protein is digested and assimilated.

And cats are as paleo as paleo gets!