Coca-Cola sued over claims its 'all-natural' Simply Orange Juice has high levels of toxic forever chemicals

neuroplasma

• Simply Orange Juice is claimed to contain high levels of toxic PFAS chemicals
  • Its parent company, Coca-Cola, is facing a lawsuit following third-party tests
  • PFAS, known as forever chemicals, can lead to increased risks of some cancers
By BRITTNEY GRIMES FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 18:47 EST, 20 January 2023 | UPDATED: 18:51 EST, 20 January 2023

Coca-Cola is facing a lawsuit over claims its Simply Orange Juice contains toxic forever chemicals.
The lawsuit claimed the product deceived customers with allegations of being an all-natural product.
Third-party testing was alleged to have found the juice contained PFAS, known as forever chemicals, at levels hundreds of times greater than federal limits for drinking water.
Exposure to high levels of PFAS can lead to increased risks of kidney or testicular cancer, fetal complications, liver disease and increased cholesterol levels.
66804307-11659385-Simply_Orange_Juice_in_a_refrigerator-a-2_1674255058726.jpg

The label that states the juice is natural is said to be misleading and deceiving, according to the lawsuit.
Joseph Lurenz filed the complaint on December 28 at the US District Court for the Southern District of New York against the Coca-Cola Company and the Simply Orange Juice Company.

WHAT ARE PFAS?​

PFAS are man-made chemicals used as oil and water repellents and coatings for common products including cookware, carpets, and textiles.
These endocrine-disrupting chemicals do not break down when they are released into the environment, and they continue to accumulate over time.
PFAS chemicals can contaminate drinking water supplies near facilities where the chemicals are used.
PFAS contamination has been detected in water near manufacturing facilities as well as military bases and firefighting training facilities where foam containing PFAS is used.
They also enter the food supply through food packaging materials and contaminated soil.

It said the company misrepresented their products, using terms such as 'simply natural', 'nothing to hide' and 'all-natural' on its labels, despite containing PFAS.
Mr Lurenz believes that the defendants knew the fruit juice contained dangerous chemicals which can pose a health risk, but failed to disclose the information to consumers.
He said: 'In reality, [the] plaintiff's testing has revealed that the product contains per- and polyfluoralkyl substances ('PFAS'), a category of synthetic chemicals that are, by definition, not natural.'
The lawsuit said third-party testing revealed PFAS in the juice. Specific test results were not provided, but the lawsuit said the levels were 'hundreds of times' above federal limits for drinking water.
The limits, which were made stricter last summer, are 0.02 ppt for PFOS and 0.004 ppt for PFOA.
The juice is marketed as all-natural and contains labels that say 'made simply', a claim the plaintiff refutes.
It is currently unknown as to how PFAS chemicals might have contaminated the water that is being used to make the juice, and if the chemicals could also in the packaging.
PFAS chemicals are also found in items such as cookware and food packaging, often used for their non-stick, heat resistant and water-resistant properties.
According to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), PFAS do not breakdown easily and can build up in our bodies and environment.
The same properties that make PFAS chemicals helpful in products are also what make them dangerous for consumption – the chemicals' abilities to be long-lasting and break down slowly.
People can be exposed to PFAS through numerous ways, though water is considered the main way.
However, PFAS are also found in air, fish and soil in locations around the world. There are thousands of PFAS chemicals used to make various products.

It is currently unknown as to how PFAS chemicals contaminated the water that is being used to make the juice, and if the chemicals are also in the packaging

It is currently unknown as to how PFAS chemicals contaminated the water that is being used to make the juice, and if the chemicals are also in the packaging
'As one of the most widely recognized brands in the world, The Coca-Cola Company knows the importance of marketing and labelling, including the value of the label representations they carefully choose for placement on the Product,' the complaint stated.
The lawsuit claims that the product's brand name is designed to increase sales to unsuspecting consumers.
This is done by targeting health-conscious buyers who believe the orange juice is simply all-natural and free from synthetic ingredients, which are harmful for human consumption, according to the complaint.
The testing was performed independently to check for PFAS chemicals.
The plaintiff is seeking an undisclosed monetary compensation for himself and the class suit, along with an award for damages and civil penalties to be issued towards the brand.
Drinking orange juice is often seen as beneficial to one's health, as the drink has been shown to cut the risk of strokes by nearly a quarter, according to a study.
Many people drink orange juice if they have a cold, as it is known for its vitamin C content.

bornamachine

Wow, thanks for sharing, these are the two brands that we buy even though more recently less

Mossy

I'm starting to think that the only answer to how to get your orange juice is to squeeze your own; though, budget wise, that would allow for significantly less amounts.

I've been drinking Walmart's brand—if Coca-Cola is doing that, Walmart can't be far behind.

DBCoast

Amazing how hard it is to avoid poison these days. What a shame. If the allegations are true, how much of a difference will the penalty really make to a company of Coca-Cola’s size?

LadyRae

Greeeaaaat......🙄 I currently have a few bottles of that and my kids have been drinking it....

Honestly I fear that at some point I'm going to become a neurotic hermit that will only hang out with her children and dog...

I thought I was doing well buying a product that wasn't from concentrate. At Costco yesterday I noticed that they have organic pulp- free orange juice not from concentrate, two jugs for $10

Peachy

Yikes! I’m wondering if this is in the packaging. If so, all juices in plastic are in question. Well, that’s the nudge I needed. Thankfully a good metabolism guards against these things to some extent.

JamesGatz

I hope you guys know this isn't authentic - many class action lawsuits happening recently against food companies (like heavy metals in chocolate/hershey's)

They're using it as an excuse to pull it off the shelves and to further disrupt the chain I believe

BUT ON THE BRIGHT SIDE

at least, the NWO really doesn't like plastic because its not biodegradable like natural fibers so the good news is the NWO is actually going to improve the clothing and food supply through this process but THERES ALWAYS A CATCH so enjoy the class action lawsuits 🤗

Vileplume

Greeeaaaat......🙄 I currently have a few bottles of that and my kids have been drinking it....

Honestly I fear that at some point I'm going to become a neurotic hermit that will only hang out with her children and dog...

I thought I was doing well buying a product that wasn't from concentrate. At Costco yesterday I noticed that they have organic pulp- free orange juice not from concentrate, two jugs for $10
The Costco organic OJ is delicious, very sweet

Limon9

Yikes! I’m wondering if this is in the packaging. If so, all juices in plastic are in question. Well, that’s the nudge I needed. Thankfully a good metabolism guards against these things to some extent.
Acidic commercial orange juice seems likely to dissolve some of its container. Firefighters are occupationally exposed to more PFAS than the baseline population, and were able to reduce blood levels with regular plasma donation. I refuse any kind of medical injection though, so drawing one's own blood might be a fun experiment for the "extremists."

Peachy

Acidic commercial orange juice seems likely to dissolve some of its container. Firefighters are occupationally exposed to more PFAS than the baseline population, and were able to reduce blood levels with regular plasma donation. I refuse any kind of medical injection though, so drawing one's own blood might be a fun experiment for the "extremists."
That’s interesting about the plasma donation.

Maybe cartons are better? If that wax coating is benign. I don’t know.

Xemnoraq

I just wanted to mention this because i think its worth mentioning, there was a time in my life when i was very sick, i lived on a predominantly liquid diet, part of that was guzzling back orange juice all the time or fruit juice and alot of simply orange. Everytime i drank orange juice it made my liver swollen, and gave me this odd disorientated feeling, it took me a while before i could make the connection that it was the orange juice doing this, i thought it was healthy how could it possibly harm me? Well the truth is besides the pfas, oj always comes in plastic containers with the acidity leeches into the juice, not only that fruit juice made from concentrate is made with fluoridated water.

Ironically i decide one day to drop all orange juice for good, and then later on eventually drop all fruit juice (unless homemade and self juiced from fresh fruits) low and behold fastforward almost all of my chronic and even really severe health issues go away, no more swollen liver, no more brain fog constant irritation, my dental health seems to be improving whereas before it looks like i was dealing with fluorosis from the white lines on my teeth. My hair and skin have even improved too, mood is more up.

If i could give anybody here some advice, despite what Ray has said about oj and fruit juice i would stay as far away as possible from processed fruit juice UNLESS you make it yourself at home.

Fruit juice from the store usually always has fluoride in it if its from concentrate and if its not from concentrate its in a thin plastic container and if its not that well now we know it has PFAS in it from these lawsuits, and who knows whatever the **** else. **** these companies and their bull****! Stay away from this fake garbage **** food, honestly instead of fruit juice now i just drink milk all the time and when i crave fruit juice i blend smoothies with mangos etc with my milk.

But its crazy that i learn about this lawsuit with PFAS in oj, fluoride in oj, the plastics etc all this junk, and crazy to think that when i drop oj and other fruit juices all my chronic and even debilitating health issues that sent me back and forth to the hospital to screen for issues like tumours all went away on their own naturally by dropping this ***t.

Processed food really is garbage and we should make all our food at home from scratch, dont just think its only simply orange that has PFAS in it i guarentee you all these other brands would probably get busted for that too and if not that plenty of other things, stay weary friends!

Nfinkelstein

I hope what @JamesGatz is hypothesizing is correct (that the class action is bs) because wow, those allegations against coca cola / simply are horrendous.

amd

Simply Orange Juice Is Under Fire but You're Blaming the Wrong Juice

The Simply Orange Juice Company is being sued for chemicals in its juice, but not the orange juice as has been reported by another news outlet. The Guardian reported that the lawsuit alleges Simply Orange contains unnatural ingredients. However, the lawsuit filed against The Coca-Cola Company and its brand The Simply Orange Juice Company actually alleges that the Simply Tropical juice is the one containing chemicals.

Simply Tropical is a tropical fruit juice containing pineapple juice, lemon juice, and mango puree.

Joseph Lurenz filed a class action lawsuit in New York claiming that the companies are misrepresenting the Simply Tropical juice drink as an "all-natural" product.

While the Simply Tropical bottle prominently displays an "All Natural" label, the juice actually "contains per- and polyfluoralkyl substances ('PFAS'), a category of synthetic chemicals that are, by definition, not natural," according to Lurenz's independent testing.

While Simply produces multiple juices, including orange, fruit punch, apple, and cranberry, this lawsuit alleges that only Simply Tropical contains PFAS.

Not only does the lawsuit allege that Simply is misrepresenting the product with its label, but also with its marketing and the use of the word "Simply."

Sumbody

Personally prefer Trader Joe's Unpasteurized 'fresh squeezed' orange juice when it's available. It is tasty, and from one batch to another actually tastes slightly different, you know, like real oranges do.

Just about every commercial orange juice on the market tastes the same. Ever notice this?

The juice not for concentrate sits around in holding tanks. This has been discussed quite a bit here in other threads. After pasteurization and sitting around for a while in oxygen depleted tanks, the taste and nutrients become depleted.

At this point flavor packs are added, essential oils to mimic the taste and smell of Valencia oranges.

Then to top it off, a little known fact, when products naturally contain a depleted mineral and or nutrient it is totally fine for the manufacturer to "add them back in".

In this case things like cheap vitamin C powder from China with all it's excipients are dumped back in. In the case that the product originally had those nutrients, it is not necessary to list those things as "added ingredients". So no need to mention that on any packaging label.

Surprised to see so many of you consuming commercial grade "orange juice".

Sumbody

very true but organic oj or trader joe-style products are often not readily available in smaller communities
True, and the quality/source could often be just as questionable. So it really is the luck of the draw when it comes to getting quality food and beverage product this day and age.

Such a shame.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals