PFA's Toxic ‘forever chemicals’ widespread in top makeup brands, study finds

Green Dot

PFAS, or per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances, are a class of about 9,000 compounds used to make products such as food packaging, clothing and carpeting water and stain resistant. They are often dubbed “forever chemicals” because they do not naturally break down and have been found to accumulate in humans.

The chemicals are linked at certain levels to cancer, birth defects, liver disease, thyroid disease, decreased immunity, hormone disruption, and a range of other serious health problems.

PFAS, or per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances, are a class of about 9,000 compounds used to make products such as food packaging, clothing and carpeting water and stain resistant. They are often dubbed “forever chemicals” because they do not naturally break down and have been found to accumulate in humans.

The chemicals are linked at certain levels to cancer, birth defects, liver disease, thyroid disease, decreased immunity, hormone disruption, and a range of other serious health problems.
Good to know, but if they don't have to label it how are we suppose to avoid it?

OP
Green Dot

Green Dot

Good to know, but if they don't have to label it how are we suppose to avoid it?
I assume most cosmetic products have PFA's. Just go for a simple ingredient alternative, I suppose.

I'd also like to add that many soaps, fragrances and other personal hygiene products also contain hormone disruptors, if you didn't know already.

I assume most cosmetic products have PFA's. Just go for a simple ingredient alternative, I suppose.

I'd also like to add that many soaps, fragrances and other personal hygiene products also contain hormone disruptors, if you didn't know already.
I know almost everything has hormone disruptors nowadays! I am down to a simple coconut oil bar soap and mostly organic make-up. Looks like I will have to go 100% and ditch the Lancome mascara ?

"They are often dubbed “forever chemicals” because they do not naturally break down and have been found to accumulate in humans."

Accumulate equally in everybody? There must be some ways to remove them?

Maybe they don't necessarily accumulate in people's bodies, but there is evidence of how they accumulate and there isn't (much? well known?) evidence of specifically how they're removed, so the conservative stance of the scientific community until more is known about it is to say they accumulate.

Last edited:

meatbag

Looks like they're now detecting PFAS and other chemicals in fetal organs even after they've been banned for several years;
Several persistent chemicals found in fetal organs
1623895807901.png

P

Peatness

Clothing may be of concern too

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom