Dismiss Notice
  7. Cascara Sagrada Powder From Farmalabor In Italy
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. **NEW Mini Body Light** MBL1 - Orange & Red Light Therapy Mini Body Light
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Chronic Stiff Neck

Discussion in 'iLoveSugar' started by iLoveSugar, Sep 20, 2013.

1. iLoveSugar

iLoveSugar Member

Has anyone dealt with this? On a daily basis? Curious to what the root to this could be? It's right dead smack in the middle of my neck.

2. Peata

Peata Member

I have it, but on the right side of my neck, from base of skull down right side of neck into shoulder area.

3. 4peatssake

4peatssake Member

I have it like Peata describes, except on the left side. Diagnosed years ago with degenerative disc disease after an MRI. Neurologist was total waste of time. Insisted that it had absolutely nothing to do with stress. Boy was he wrong. :lol:

Nothing worked except acupuncture (slight reduction in pain) until I tried meditation. Go figure. Was in chronic pain for years with it until I learned to meditate. Returns with a vengeance in times of high stress.

4. HDD

HDD Member

I get it left side of neck. Thought it was MS. Lol.

5. Mittir

Mittir Member

What kind of mediation are you doing? People often think if meditation
    is removing pain then the source of pain was stress related, generally
    assumed it is psychological stress. My understanding is that meditation works a lot
    like nutrient. It increases CO2, lowers stress hormones, increases blood circulation etc.

6. 4peatssake

4peatssake Member

I wasn't referring to just psychological stress. Meditation indeed does all those things you describe and more.

I went from having chronic, severe daily pain to pain free with meditation. I don't discuss my practice in public forums, however.

7. Peata

Peata Member

When you meditate, do you breathe in through nose and out through mouth, or keep mouth closed and just breathe through nose? Which is better for CO2?

8. Dan Wich

Dan Wich Member

I really need to start meditating consistently.

ILoveSugar, do you notice any patterns to the stiffness, like it being better or worse after sleeping, a hot bath / heating pad, etc.? That might help determine whether it's the muscles/myofascial tissue directly, or something about your spine.

Peata, does it seem like your pain is related to this muscle group? If so, the ebooks he sells on that site might help (they helped me understand and treat my back pain).

9. Blossom

Blossom Moderator

I like shining the red light on areas that are painful. I fortunately rarely have pain after starting a Peat inspired approach but I do normally take some aspirin most days. :)

10. Peata

Peata Member

I'll check it out. Thank you.

11. Lin

Lin Member

Just to put my 2 cents in here... Have you considered that this might be a type of sinus headache? The sphenoid sinus is at the base of the brain and refers pain to the back of the neck. I had aches there for years, and they would be relieved by decongestants. (Sudafed)
    I have not had the problem while on the Peat inspired diet and supplements... EXCEPT when I take Progest E. That causes what feels like a histamine response, with the face and neck pain and general congested feeling.
    Anyway, something to think about... Maybe it'll help.

12. charlie

charlie The Law & Order Admin

Progest E probably releasing a lot of estrogen so histamine would also be a factor I imagine.

13. Lin

Lin Member

That's a good point, Charlie. I don't take Progest E anymore, since it made me feel so crappy, and seen to be doing fine without it.
    But I put this under the stiff neck topic because it took a while for me to realize that a pain in the neck can be a sinus problem. I did not have a sinus headache or pain in the facial sinuses.
    I think Peat says serotonin and endotoxins from gut irritation are a major cause of sinus inflammation, so the carrot salad must really be working!

14. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

Stiff neck is said to be a symptom of insufficient choline. I don't know why this is. Perhaps the parasympathetic system needs it to balance out the sympathetic system. Ray Peat has criticized the excessive reliance on this duality by clinical science.

15. HDD

HDD Member

I no longer have this symptom of stiff/tight neck and/or shoulder muscles.

16. Dan Wich

Dan Wich Member

Any theories on what fixed it, HDD?

17. HDD

HDD Member

I think taking thyroid is the main reason. I have been supplementing over a year and a few months ago realized that it was gone. In my case, I suppose it is the muscles being able to relax.

18. SQu

SQu Member

Very cool! Things like that make a big difference.

19. sladerunner69

sladerunner69 Member

Econ Student
    I think I am getting a sore enck/headache and stuffy nose from an allergic reacitn to dsmo. It seems the more dsmo products I use the worse my joint and headaches are.