Connection Between Back And/or Neck Tensions And Mental Issues/disorders ?

Motif

In my circle of friends it's really conspicuous that everyone who has chronical issues with his neck and / or back tensions has a Diagnose like adhd or depression or even schizophrenia.

Anybody knows where the connection is?

Prosper

Postural problems undermine the natural energy flow in your body, either by restricting bloodflow or causing the skeleton to press on vital organs. Thus a state of imbalanced anatomy is a state of imbalanced mental health. Work on your hips, spine, shoulders and neck until the spine is free and has full range of motion - suddenly you may realize that your problems have gone away. Just be prepared for 6-24 months of work.

Diokine

I think that this is primarily related to excessive release / inhibited turnover of acetylcholine, secondary to a lack of proper dopaminergic signalling. Lack of proper dopaminergic signalling and improper catecholamine metabolism reduces sensitivity of the sympathetic/adrenergic nervous system, and requires substantial intervention by the more basal areas of the brain to maintain homeostasis. I think hypothyroidism, cholinergic insensitivity, poor sleep, and insulin resistance play large roles in this issue. A generalized adaptation to chronic stress is almost always a factor as well, deranging normal tryptophan metabolism.

HDD

Hypothyroidism. Thyroid uses cholesterol to make hormones involved in ligaments and connective tissue.

HDD

I know you weren’t asking about pinched nerves but Peat’s answer gives more detail regarding low thyroid, joints, cartilage, nerves.

E: I am reading a simple question from a caller. Her friend had atrophy related to a pinched nerve in the neck and was curious about any dietary information that might be able to help atrophy related to a pinched nerve.

RP: There are several things that could hormonally and nutritionally relate to a pinched nerve. One of the most common situations of nerve pinching has to do with swelling of the sheath (or membrane) around the nerve. It swells up so much. And, for example, in thyroid deficiency or estrogen excess, the water makes this sheath compress the nerve. So that even without much external pressure or irritation, the nerve starts being damaged by the water-logged condition of its environment. And if it's in a neck joint, your cartilage might get softened, because of this hypothyroidism (which tends to cause water-logging of the cartilage, and causes it to be over-compressible). So, the structure of the cartilaginous disc, for example, can compress under the weight of your head and of the body, causing the disc to spread out and push on your spinal cord and nerves.

All of the connective tissues tend to swell up with high estrogen or low thyroid. So you want to check your hormones whenever there is a nerve pressure pinching problem.

In dogs and horses, many years ago they saw that dogs and horses both suffered spinal nerve compression. And paralysis of the rear legs was a common result from a compression of the spinal cord. And they found that a copper deficiency was responsible.

And keeping horses indoors eating dry hay was considered responsible for the copper deficiency; but the absence of light is one of the things that makes your respiratory enzymes lose its necessary copper. So the combination of darkness and possibly a copper deficiency in the diet will cause an energy failure, leading to a swelling of the connective tissues, leading to pinching of the nerves

OP
M

Motif

Thanks for the answers, guys.

So could a bad posture from sitting too much / lack of movement be also responsible for other health issues?

Another symptom I suffer from is cracking joints, but I think it's a tendons issue

bcopeland

In my circle of friends it's really conspicuous that everyone who has chronical issues with his neck and / or back tensions has a Diagnose like adhd or depression or even schizophrenia.

When I hear ADHD, depression, schizophrenia, chronic neck / back tension those all typically point to vestibular (inner ear), frontal lobe, and/or cerebellar issues. That is a bit of an oversimplification but when working with the brain you have to simplify to make it clinically useful.

When I have clients with these symptoms I do an in-depth neural screening but typically doing saccadic eye drills, vestibular drills, and spinal postural coordination drills will do the trick. And by "do the trick" I mean eliminate the neck / back tension, reduce or even eliminate ADHD and depression. I have not specifically worked with schizophrenia clients but I would expect to see similar improvements.

Last edited:

bcopeland

Sorry for double post, Safari didn't seem to play well with the forum so I had to move to Firefox.

Last edited:

fradon

a lot of brain activity happens in the spine...most people think only in the brain but the brain has that long spine stem and a lot of thinking can happen there especially at the neck area.

dfspcc20

When I hear ADHD, depression, schizophrenia, chronic neck / back tension those all typically point to vestibular (inner ear), frontal lobe, and/or cerebellar issues. That is a bit of an oversimplification but when working with the brain you have to simplify to make it clinically useful.

When I have clients with these symptoms I do an in-depth neural screening but typically doing saccadic eye drills, vestibular drills, and spinal postural coordination drills will do the trick. And by "do the trick" I mean eliminate the neck / back tension, reduce or even eliminate ADHD and depression. I have not specifically worked with schizophrenia clients but I would expect to see similar improvements.

Where can we learn more about these drills?

OP
M

Motif

Sounds awesome! I would like to know more about that too

YourUniverse

Posture problems can cause energy flow problems, sure, but energy flow problems in the form of low self-esteem can cause posture problems, too. Chicken and egg.

If I come home and have back pain/tension, I know I did not assert myself in my environment. I did not take up space in the room, I did not spread myself out, and that usually stems more from mental inhibition and lack of confidence.

Prosper

Posture problems can cause energy flow problems, sure, but energy flow problems in the form of low self-esteem can cause posture problems, too. Chicken and egg.

If I come home and have back pain/tension, I know I did not assert myself in my environment. I did not take up space in the room, I did not spread myself out, and that usually stems more from mental inhibition and lack of confidence.
Breathing so that you reach both maximal inhale and maximal exhale straight out of bed can be helpful in this. Reichian breathing exercises are very good for "unlocking" breath after a night of sleep. basically you inhale yourself as full as you can and allow the spine and shoulders to curve and expand backwards. Then you exhale air out by compressing the spine & torso forwards and inwards. Done right, it is like simultaneous workout & stretching session for the torso.

The inhale & exhale postural musculature are two distinct chains that have to rest and work against each other in order for your body to have solid anatomical support. Many people have only about 1/2 - 3/4 engagement within these postural chains, and there is much variation in which links of the chain in particular are lacking. Ideally when everything is working together, you will feel a state of gentle physical tension throughout your body. Every part of the anatomical structure will be resting against the rest of the structure.

One visualization that can help is imagining that you are radiating warmth outward from your body through the total surface area of your skin. This will encourage your body to relax and widen. You may feel a bit tingly. This is the first step to learning to become aware of the energy flow within.

Last edited:

YourUniverse

Breathing so that you reach both maximal inhale and maximal exhale straight out of bed can be helpful in this. Reichian breathing exercises are very good for "unlocking" breath after a night of sleep. basically you inhale yourself as full as you can and allow the spine and shoulders to curve and expand backwards. Then you exhale air out by compressing the spine & torso forwards and inwards. Done right, it is like simultaneous workout & stretching session for the torso.

The inhale & exhale postural musculature are two distinct chains that have to rest and work against each other in order for your body to have solid anatomical support. Many people have only about 1/2 - 3/4 engagement within these postural chains, and there is much variation in which links of the chain in particular are lacking. Ideally when everything is working together, you will feel a state of gentle physical tension throughout your body. Every part of the anatomical structure will be resting against the rest of the structure.

One visualization that can help is imagining that you are radiating warmth outward from your body through the total surface area of your skin. This will encourage your body to relax and widen. You may feel a bit tingly. This is the first step to learning to become aware of the energy flow within.
This is money. I do tend to breathe shallow breaths without thinking (when stressed), and I think it's contributing to a recent BP problem. I just did this, and I instantly felt warmer. This addresses the physical reasons for poor posture and energy blockage nicely, but what about psychological/emotional reasons (inferiority, low self esteem)?

lampofred

Wow, now that I think about my ADHD symptoms started right when I began getting neck, shoulder, and back tension.

ironfist

Post the exercises.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals