Revisiting Simple Thyroid Signals: Unpinchable Skin & Grooves Across The Neck

28yo male here.

A month back, I paid for a full thyroid panel that came back normal. In general, I feel in good health. My weight is decent, energy is decent, and mood is good. However, my temps are still low, and I exhibit these two unusual symptoms:

1. I can't pinch/lift the skin on my upper arm or shoulders. It's like thick rubber that won't lift and I can't get between my fingers. I'm curious whether whatever this is continues across my body, as my musculature is quite undefined. Come to think of it, I can't pinch skin anywhere.

2. I have two thick grooves across my neck, where I imagine to be above and below the thyroid.

I remember reading that these two things are a sign of hypothyroidism.

In the context of my "normal" thyroid panel, can anyone shed light on what these symptoms mean or what they could tell me about the current state of my health?

SOMO

IMO being unable to pinch skin is a good sign - that the tissue underneath the skin is "tight" and well-connected.

Not sure what you mean by grooves, as those could just be wrinkles.

OP
T
IMO being unable to pinch skin is a good sign - that the tissue underneath the skin is "tight" and well-connected.

Not sure what you mean by grooves, as those could just be wrinkles.

I can understand your logic, but take a look at this video.

I believe it's mentioned in some older medical textbooks that you should be able to lift the skin.

LUH 3417

I think ray talked about how many young women have clearly defined lines around their neck indicative of thyroid issues. As if they are wearing a choker necklace or something like that, there’s an indentation in the skin around the neck. I guess it could be considered wrinkling. Sorry I cannot for the life of me remember where he said it but I think it may have been a recent interview with Patrick Timpone.

Nicole W.

28yo male here.

A month back, I paid for a full thyroid panel that came back normal. In general, I feel in good health. My weight is decent, energy is decent, and mood is good. However, my temps are still low, and I exhibit these two unusual symptoms:

1. I can't pinch/lift the skin on my upper arm or shoulders. It's like thick rubber that won't lift and I can't get between my fingers. I'm curious whether whatever this is continues across my body, as my musculature is quite undefined. Come to think of it, I can't pinch skin anywhere.

2. I have two thick grooves across my neck, where I imagine to be above and below the thyroid.

I remember reading that these two things are a sign of hypothyroidism.

In the context of my "normal" thyroid panel, can anyone shed light on what these symptoms mean or what they could tell me about the current state of my health?
I have both those symptoms too... the rings around the neck and I can not pinch the skin on my arms either. My skin generally looks plump as compared with my peers and I’ve often wondered if this is one of the few “perks” hypothyroidism. My thyroid labs are good now with the addition of Tyromix. I feel well but those symptoms (if thats what you want to call them) have never gone away. This surprised me as I assumed the arm skin thing was some version of myxedema that should have been corrected with the thyroid. Another “symptom” I have is this dry, cracked skin on my shins. The cracks are long vertical streaks down my leg. I do not have dry skin anywhere else, just there. If you look at photos of classic myxedema online it usually features peoples lower legs and shins. I’ve often wondered if what I have on my shins is the beginning stages of that condition. Maybe even after you correct thyroid, these features persist? No idea...

Doctor Shawn Baker has those lines in his neck. A zero carb diet isn't good for the thyroid.

tara

A month back, I paid for a full thyroid panel that came back normal.
When you say 'normal', do you mean the professionals interpreted the results and told you they were normal, or they sent you the results and you interpreted them as normal?

I can't get much of a pinch on my upper arm skin either, though I can more on the shoulders. It doesn't feel like edema.

Vinny

I`ve watched some of dr Robert Cassar`s videos, where he shows how easy for him to pinch skin anywhere and states it should be like this. Probably he`s right, but it doesn`t seem he connects it to hypothyroidism. I don`t know what to think of it; mine is not pinch-able too.

Amazigh

I have unpinchable skin on my upper arms, and very, very thickened and unpinchable skin on my thighs. I also have puffiness right on and directly below my eyebrows, which is yet another symptom.