Cheesecake

tara

Baked lemon cheeese cake

I just baked a cheesecake, and it tastes really good!
I'm afraid I can't give precise measurents, but roughly:
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp salt
3 tsp oyster shell powder (optional)
1 drop/smidgen vanilla paste
Cottage cheese from 3+ litres milk (1 litre whole and 2+ skim - may use whole next time)
20 g butter (I'd leave this out if I used whole milk)
1 tbsp tapioca starch (optional - could use rice flour or probably omit altogether if avoiding starch)
20ml milk (optional - I just used it to mix the tapioca cos I forgot to put it in with the sugar in the beginning)

Mix. Pour in greased dish. Bake 200 deg C not sure about time maybe 40 min.

You could probably vary the quantities of any of these ingredients and still have it taste good, to make it more or less sweet, fatty, etc.

superhuman

great thanx, i have wanted a RP cheesecake recipe for quite some time. Do you have picture as well of it ? :)
How does it taste like? how would you approach making a chocolate flavor cheesecake? adding cocoa fat free powder to it ? or maybe strawberry flavor?

OP
T

tara

I think it tastes great, but maybe a little too sweet. I can feel lumps of cottage cheese, and they'd probably be softer if it was made with full fat milk, and maybe extra cream, or maybe blended it instead of just mixing with a fork.

Chocolate should be easy: my guess is just mix cocoa powder in with the sugar and other dry stuff.
Strawberry: I'd stew strawberries with just a tiny bit of water, and either blend, or seive out the seeds if you can be bothered, and just mix in with the rest.
But I haven't tried these variants. Please report back if you do. :)

My next plan is to make a cold black currant cheesecake with gelatine and cottage cheese.

superhuman

Thanx. Yeah im gonna put everything in a blender or food processor might be better?
Gonna try with cocoa powder i think

OP
T

tara

Cottage cheese jelly dessert

Today's experiment tastes ok to me. Again, approximate quantities only - I didn't actually measure anything.

1 cup fresh or frozen berries (I used cranberries,; next time I'll use blackcurrants)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup gelatine
cottage cheese made from 3 litres of milk
1-2 tsp salt
1-3 oyster shell powder (optional)
water

Topping (optional): keep a bit of the jelly mix to pour a thin layer over the top.

I didn't make a base this time. If I come up with a good one, I'll post it.

Stew fruit with some of the sugar and enough water to cover. Cool. You could strain out seeds and skins, but I just blended. In a pot, mix gelatine with remaining sugar and salt. Add fruit puree/juice. Mix. If there is not enough moisture to soak all the gelatine add a bit more cold water. Let it sit for a few minutes. Gently heat till it all dissolves. (If you don't want to wait till the stewed fruit cools, you could just add cold water to the gelatine to let it bloom.)
Put cottage cheese in blender, add oyster shell (I accidentally forgot this, but will include next time) and gelatine-puree mixture. Blend till smooth. Pour into CO- greased dish and cool.

Proportions are arbitrary - if you change them it will just be a bit firmer or sloppier.

You can freeze portions of this for another day.

loess

Andreas, it's very easy; simply heat milk to about 180°F/82°C and stir in lemon juice or vinegar which separates the curds from the whey. Strain the curds from the whey and you are done. See Mittir's instructions here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2882#p34585

OP
T

tara

tara said:
Baked lemon cheeese cake

I just baked a cheesecake, and it tastes really good!
I'm afraid I can't give precise measurents, but roughly:
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp salt
3 tsp oyster shell powder (optional)
1 drop/smidgen vanilla paste
Cottage cheese from 3+ litres milk (1 litre whole and 2+ skim - may use whole next time)
20 g butter (I'd leave this out if I used whole milk)
1 tbsp tapioca starch (optional - could use rice flour or probably omit altogether if avoiding starch)
20ml milk (optional - I just used it to mix the tapioca cos I forgot to put it in with the sugar in the beginning)
I now prefer a slightly simpler version made with 3% milk cottage cheese and without the whole milk, starch, butter, vanilla.

OP
T

tara

Re: Cheesecake - with berry or chocolate sauce

Berry or chocolate sauce to go with it. :)

Berry: In a pot boil fresh or frozen berries, sugar, a little water for a few minutes. Blend or not. I guess the seeds and skins may not be optimal - you could strain to remove them, but I don't usually bother.

Chocolate: In a pot, mix and gently heat sweetened condensed milk, cocoa, optional coconut oil.

Green

Thank you for sharing, Tara. I enjoy it! I made it with cheese(3/4tsp of salt in it) from 3 quarts of whole milk, the juice of 1 lime, 1 cup of sugar, 1tsp salt, and 4 eggs. I blended those ingredients. I'm going to make a cherry jam to top it.

OP
T

tara

Hi, lately I've been using all my cottage cheese for cheese cake, so I just salt when I mix everything up. Earlier I salted teh cottage cheese and then a little more in the mix. Lime juice and cherries sounfd very tasty.

Green

As a kid I always said I could live off of cheesecake. Morir soñandos, too. Thanks again for this recipe. I now use 2 eggs instead of 4, 2 Tbsp of lime juice, and 1.5 tsp of salt altogether. It's really delicious; I eat it daily.

BingDing

Morir soñandos. "To die dreaming". What a wonderful name for milk and oj! It's a classic Dominican drink, now I have a great answer when people look at me funny. Thanks, Green.

I've been thinking about both cheesecake and custard for two years, I gotta get it in gear.

Would Quark be more similar to the cheese usually found in cheesecakes? Apart from the sourness, of course.

OP
T

tara

Such_Saturation said:
Would Quark be more similar to the cheese usually found in cheesecakes? Apart from the sourness, of course.
I haven't tried it, but I expect it would work similarly.

Green said:
As a kid I always said I could live off of cheesecake. Morir soñandos, too. Thanks again for this recipe. I now use 2 eggs instead of 4, 2 Tbsp of lime juice, and 1.5 tsp of salt altogether. It's really delicious; I eat it daily.

What a great drink! I made it with two cups of freezing cold milk, one and-a-third cup of orange juice, a third of a cup of sugar, and ice.

sunmountain

Here is what I've been using to make cheesecake, a hybrid between Tara's and Lindsay's Russian Cheese Pie:

2 cup skim ricotta cheese
1 cup sugar
4 T gelatin
4 T flavored Greek yogurt
4 eggs
2 t vanilla
4 T oat flour
1/2 t baking powder
Coconut oil to grease baking dish

It is so delicious that my daughter and I keept eating it, and keeping making it. Next time, I'll use lemon or lime juice instead of vanilla.

sunmountain said:
Here is what I've been using to make cheesecake, a hybrid between Tara's and Lindsay's Russian Cheese Pie:

2 cup skim ricotta cheese
1 cup sugar
4 T gelatin
4 T flavored Greek yogurt
4 eggs
2 t vanilla
4 T oat flour
1/2 t baking powder
Coconut oil to grease baking dish

It is so delicious that my daughter and I keept eating it, and keeping making it. Next time, I'll use lemon or lime juice instead of vanilla.

How do you make the crusty base of it?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals