Cascara Tea - 5 minutes boil

aquaman

I have used Cascara tea for a longish time, but only recently started to boil it for 5 minutes (which I read about somewhere), and it makes it much better for me. Faster acting, and it doesnt' taste like if you just make the tea and drink it. I think it's a winner.

I also think I need to use less (half a capsule normally does it now).

4peatssake

This is the recipe I use, with aged bark. Never use fresh bark.
Extremely effective. This way it's brought to a boil and then simmers for 10 minutes. I use 1 tb rather than 1-2 tsp. It's bitter tea but I don't mind it.

Cascara Sagrada (Rhamus Parshiana)

Also know as buckthorn or sacred bark, Cascara Sagrada is a shrub or tree which is native to North America. The bark is the active component of this plant. The fresh bark contains an emetic (vomit-inducing) quality which diminishes with storage or heat.

Healing uses:
Cascara Sagrada one of the most efficient herbs for relieving constipation. The most effective way to take cascara Sagrada is as a decoction. Cover 1-2 teaspoons of the dried bark with 1 cup of water. Bring to the boil, and allow to infuse for ten minutes. This decoction should prove to be an efficient laxative.

You will find that most health stores will have ready to use products containing Cascara Sagrada for the relief of constipation.

The decoction can discourage children and adults from biting their fingernails. Simply coat the nails with the liquid.

A slightly ber decoction can help fight herpes simplex, or cold sores. Boil 2 tablespoons of the dried bark in 1 litre of water for 10 minutes. Allow the mixture to stand for a further 30 minutes, then strain and refrigerate it. Three cups of this decoction should be drunk each day, as well as wiping the sores with a cotton ball soaked in the liquid. This is highly successful for driving the virus into remission and preventing sores from developing.

loess

Just tried this method, and I really like it. I had been simply pouring boiling water over the powder in a tea cup, letting it steep for a few minutes while the powder settles to the bottom of the cup, then drinking it. With this method the water comes out much darker and tastes more bitter, so I'm assuming that the longer boiling/simmering process extracts more of everything out of the bark and into the liquid. Definitely going to do it this way from here on out!

4peatssake

jaa said:
Where do you get the aged bark stuff 4ps?
I got a 1lb bag of aged bark from Amazon but the vendor I used is no longer there.
If I was buying again (no need yet, a lb of it is a lot!), I would order from here:

Cascara Sagrada Bark

I like using the bark for tea and it makes a dark, bitter tea as loess described and it works! ;)

ilovethesea

Is there anything I can do about the bitterness?

I tried making a tea out of 1/2 tsp (not even boiling for 10 mins, just pouring the boiling water over) and I can't stand to drink it. I have a lot of trouble with bitter tastes - they always make me gag. (For the same reason I can't handle my Lotioncrafter niacinamide.)

My cascara is from here http://www.endtimeessentials.com/cascar ... wder-16oz/

charmer

Perhaps bland cascara with something else like licorice or mint? Someone may slap me for mentioning licorice on this forum though.

tara

I've been breaking open a Nature's Way capsule to boil. It's hardly bitter at all - though maybe that's a low dose. Anyone know a reason to avoid this brand?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals