How To Make Hot Water Extract Of Yeast?

Bluebell

I'd like to make hot water extract of yeast, to extract the b vitamins and leave the estrogen-like stuff behind.

From Ray:

“Brewer’s yeast has been used traditionally to correct diabetes, and its high content of niacin and other B vitamins and potassium might account for it beneficial effects. However, eating a large quantity of it is likely to cause gas, so some people prefer to extract the soluble nutrients with hot water. Yeast contains a considerable amount of estrogen, and the water extract probably leaves much of that in the insoluble starchy residue.”

“Zinc, as in oysters, and potassium and the B vitamins, as in brewer’s yeast, are sometimes necessary. Many people get gas from the complex carbohydrates in yeast. This can be prevented by steeping a tablespoonful in a cup of boiling water, and drinking only the yellow liquid and throwing away the sediment. Protein is lost, but the other nutrients are highly soluble.”

How long do I leave the yeast steeping in the water to get the vitamins out?

My total guess would be pour water just off the boil onto the yeast, leave for a few hours (?), then stir strain and drink the liquid.

Functional Alps person say to simmer the yeast in rolling boil for 2-5 minutes, but I think B vitamins would be lost that way as I think some are heat sensitive.

mt_dreams

I was thinking the exact same thing with regards to the boiling water & duration that Functional Alps was recommending. it appears from the below link that b1 is damaged in boiling water, and folate is damages at high heat (not sure what that means), so using water below boiling seems to make sense, unless the boil is needed for the mineral extraction.

http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-coo ... d-2e.shtml

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

That's a useful link, thanks.

Have you made the extract?

I'm wondering if enzymes or slight acid solution might help extract the Bs, like in the stomach.

Katty

Just double checking, but can't do brewer's yeast if you don't eat gluten, correct?

TeslaFan

Katty said:
Just double checking, but can't do brewer's yeast if you don't eat gluten, correct?

The Brewer's Yeast I use says "Gluten Free". I assume all brewer's yeast is gluten free, too?
I am using Lewis Labs brand.

Katty

skominac said:
Katty said:

The Brewer's Yeast I use says "Gluten Free". I assume all brewer's yeast is gluten free, too?
I am using Lewis Labs brand.

Just saw this response, thank you! I do think some brands have gluten, so it's good to know there is a gluten free option.

Wilfrid

You can use a coffee filter and " infuse " a tbsp of yeast in 1 cup of hot water and then collecting the yellow liquid. This process took time and you have to be sure that the temperature is constant.
The easiest and quickest way is to stepp a tbsp of yeast in a cup of hot water for ~ 10 minutes and then to use a filter to separate the yeast solids from the liquid part.
The best temperature for extraction of most of the vitamins is around 60 degrees celsius.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10 ... e31bccb9f0

achillea

Does anyone know how often to use the B vitamin extract? I have read so many differing opinions on B vitamins....toxicity for some and not others. Does anyone have an idea of the amount of B vitamins in the extract. We feel like we are not getting enough of the broad spectrum .Thanks

Any one notice Brewers yeast darkens hair.Years ago,in my thirty's I took Brewers yeast for around a year ,my hair at that time naturally very dark brown,no grey went a lot darker,friends and family presumed I had dyed my hair black,just thought I'd mention this.

Jac

Any one notice Brewers yeast darkens hair.Years ago,in my thirty's I took Brewers yeast for around a year ,my hair at that time naturally very dark brown,no grey went a lot darker,friends and family presumed I had dyed my hair black,just thought I'd mention this.

I think savoury yeast does the same thing. Similar to brewers yeast too.

Luann

Helloo.

So I am trying this yeast extract for B vitamins, trying to lower estrogen. My mom has sleep issues during her cycle and when I started getting the same thing, I thought of estrogen and how she and her mom are dominant in it.

Since taking the yeast broth well-filtered, three or four times a day for two days, the estrogen symptoms are worse. I have water retained in belly and thighs, sore legs and feet after work, weird edge feeling in the gut, sinus stuffed up, and headaches on and off. Is this detoxification?

Last edited:

Luann

I finally got great sleep, for what it's worth. But it was probably because of taking B complex drops, not the yeast.

Honest2Pete

@ Katy's remark about not eating Brewer's Yeast with a Gluten Sensitivity: Some say there is a "Cross-Reaction" with yeast and Gluten as with Milk and Coffee with Gluten Sensitivity and so some don't feel well until these substances are out of their diet. I read it would be best to be Gluten free for a year before trying to introduce yeast in case of cross-reactions with yeast.

Helloo.

So I am trying this yeast extract for B vitamins, trying to lower estrogen. My mom has sleep issues during her cycle and when I started getting the same thing, I thought of estrogen and how she and her mom are dominant in it.

Since taking the yeast broth well-filtered, three or four times a day for two days, the estrogen symptoms are worse. I have water retained in belly and thighs, sore legs and feet after work, weird edge feeling in the gut, sinus stuffed up, and headaches on and off. Is this detoxification?

doesn't sound promising...

Ella

Forum Supporter

My mother is sensitive to everything and finding vit. b supplements that she can tolerate has been a delemma. I finally placed her on the Lewis Brand nutritional flakes and she had no issues with it. Her hair is as white as snow. I noticed that she started getting black hair around her temples. So exciting.

Even more exciting was when I increased my own liver consumption. My mother hates liver and would never cook it for herself. She eats it when she stays with me. She says I make it taste good. I think it is just laziness on her behalf which is typical of old people when it comes to preparing food. They have no issues when you place the food in front of them but issues when it comes to cooking. :(

Anyhow, my hair basically turn white overnight from the shock my body was placed in. I hate dyeing my hair and noticed with the increased eating of liver my hair was less white and getting more darker. I have not taken the yeast extract but now I think I will add it into my diet. It would be nice to know that hair can get darker as we age. Liver is a rich source of catalase. We have plenty catalase when young however we have less as we age. Catalase is an iron dependent enzyme. Tyrosinase is involved in pigment regulation and is a copper dependant enzyme. Low copper can seriously effect this enzyme's activity. Liver is also rich in copper.

Luann

doesn't sound promising...

Yeah it's nice not to be doing that any more. I found a new way to get the B vites I needed. It's delicious and much easier and cheaper, and yeah it's baked potatoes. Gotta loved those baked potatoes.