MEDICINAL HERBS I LOVE

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Plant defensive chemicals can have beneficial uses as drugs. Plants are important sources for chemicals used in chemotherapy of cancer, with the purpose of stopping cell division. Other plant drugs can stimulate cell division. The drug from one plant will sometimes protect cells against the toxic effects of another plant. The use of any drug that isn’t a natural part of animal physiology will have many biological effects, so that a beneficial drug action will usually be accompanied by unwanted side-effects. An antioxidant may turn out to disrupt the endocrine system, an antiinflammatory drug may be mutagenic or carcinogenic.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Holistic medicine and holistic psychology came into existence as attempts to overcome the dogmatic compartmentalization of reality that is endemic. Whenever rigidity is a problem, looking for ways to create new patterns that by-pass the petrified pattern can lead to a solution.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
It isn’t an herb, but I am a big fan of bee pollen, propolis and raw honey, BIG fan….

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“A basic meaning of homeopathic medicine is the support of the organism's ability to heal itself; the essence of allopathy is that the physician fights "a disease" to cure the patient, e.g., by cutting out tumors or killing germs.

Confidence in the organism's essential rationality led the doctors with a homeopathic orientation to see a fever as part of a recuperative process, while their allopathic opponents sometimes saw fever as the essence of the sickness to be cured. Homeopaths concentrated on the nature of the patient; allopaths concentrated on a disease entity in itself, and were likely to ignore the patient's idiosyncrasies and preferences.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Here is something for you @coffeelover

“Rosemary Oil hydrates the skin, which helps to control oil production. It also provides an antibacterial surface for the skin, keeping acne at bay. Rosemary Oil's antiseptic properties are beneficial to skin conditions such as eczema.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“It can be used in many of the same ways as spinach and lettuce, such as in salads or sandwiches.

Purslane grows in many parts of the world, in a wide range of environments.

It can grow in gardens and sidewalk cracks, but can also adapt to harsher conditions. This includes drought, as well as very salty or nutrient-deficient soil (1Trusted Source, 2Trusted Source).

Purslane has a long history of use in traditional/alternative medicine (3Trusted Source, 4Trusted Source).

It is also high in many nutrients. A 100 gram (3.5 oz) portion contains (5Trusted Source):

• Vitamin A (from beta-carotene): 26% of the DV.
  • Vitamin C: 35% of the DV.
  • Magnesium: 17% of the DV.
  • Manganese: 15% of the DV.
  • Potassium: 14% of the DV.
  • Iron: 11% of the DV.
  • Calcium: 7% of the RDI.
  • It also contains small amounts of vitamins B1, B2, B3, folate, copper and phosphorus.
You get all of these nutrients with only 16calories! This makes it one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet, calorie for calorie.“

Purslane has a laxative effect-and helps to relieve constipation effectively.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Sulfur is a very important element for optimal health and wellbeing and is a highly recommended by Dherbs.com. Make sure Vitamin C is consumed with MSM sulfur because Vitamin C is dependent upon sulfur for absorption.

Sulfur-rich foods include:

• Onions
  • Garlic
  • Brussels sprouts
  • Cabbage
  • Kale
  • Sunflower seeds
  • Lentils
  • Soybeans
  • Turnips
  • Beans
  • Wheat germ
Sulfur-rich plants include:

This substance can also be found in the following facial skin clays:

And because sulfur is widely available, it can be used in chakra balancing. Sulfur is a beautiful yellow color which means its a beneficial stone to use for the 3rd chakra, solar plexus.

The 3rd chakra of the human energy system deals with issues of personal power, intelligence, ambition, drive, self-esteem and self-image and ego.”

ddjd

I am icing some chamomile after reading the study linked above. I steeped the tea and threw in some frozen peaches and white whipped honey. I will pour it over ice in a couple of hours.
Why does the icing help?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I finally got the nerve up to eat fresh nettles yesterday. With the tiniest little touch of a leaf the sting is really something! I don’t panic anymore, when I inadvertently brush up against a leaf, I just rub some wet baking soda on it, and the discomfort subsided after about ten minutes, but the thought of putting it my mouth was scary, especially when I had to use gloves to cut and wash it. I put a bunch of it in my soup yesterday. Next I will try sautéing them to get a bigger and more regular dose of it. I am growing mine in milk crates, on my patio, three boxes of it.

Attachments

• 66E2FD00-05AB-4617-9462-E547ADF75F0E.jpeg
    66E2FD00-05AB-4617-9462-E547ADF75F0E.jpeg
    684 KB · Views: 5
  • 1D384480-DE08-4427-91D5-76343731AE7A.jpeg
    1D384480-DE08-4427-91D5-76343731AE7A.jpeg
    465.2 KB · Views: 6
  • B646465B-6568-42E4-B83D-4A85E22A20D9.png
    B646465B-6568-42E4-B83D-4A85E22A20D9.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“In white hair, the amount of tryptophan is higher than in hair of any other color. Although serotonin and tryptophan are very important during rapid growth, their presence in senile tissues is probably closely associated with the processes of decline. The hair loss that occurs in hypothyroidism, postpartum syndrome, and with the use of drugs such as St. John's wort (which can also cause the “serotonin syndrome”) could be another effect of excess serotonin.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Caller: I have temperature problems. I’m a light sleeper, and I’ve recently heard that valerian tincture improves one’s ability to relax, fall asleep, and stay asleep through the night. I’ve taken it, and have been astounded how helpful it was ( and for my brother too, who has trouble falling asleep). I wanted to ask if one can develop dependency, and if there are any contra-indications ?

HD: No. Valerian works on Gaba channels. But, in very rare occasions, some people get very stimulated by it. The majority of people do find a good benefit from it, and it does shut off that internal dialogue that keeps people awake when they sit and talk to themselves, and especially if people wake in the early hours. But I know Dr Peat’s interpretation of any kind of insomnia would generally be down to high adrenalin, preventing people from entering a deep, restful sleep.

RP: Valeriane’s Gaba mechanism is very good; it’s a very safe drug. But I think that using a drug of that sort is protective. But it is potentially habit forming. And besides my own experience, when I took thyroid, being able to relax and sleep soundly… on one of my trips, talking to doctors and such, I’ve ran into a doctor who looked horrible, said he hadn’t slept for three nights. And I mentioned my experience with thyroid, and gave him 10mcg of cytomel. And the next night of my talk, he pulled me aside before introducing me, and said: “That stuff’s better than morphine!”.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat

I am growing saffron now…​

“[Are orange blossom, rose water, saffron and hibiscus tea safe/beneficial?]​

Ray Peat: “I think they are safe; I have enjoyed all of them at different times. Hibiscus tea is recognized as a treatment for high blood pressure, and saffron has been used successfully for treating many problems.”​

1698937289890.jpeg

1698937315841.jpeg

AlaskaJono

Stinging nettles is everywhere in SE Alaska particularly, and in South Central AK. Usually I would make a few Springtime meals including sautéed nettles with olive oil and pinch on salt. Not my fav but part of eating with the seasons and the country. Other folks would put them in soups . Carry on.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals