Carob Powder And Barley Coffee

Ulla

Hey,

I didn't notice anywhere on the forum about these two;
carob powder in that kind of form
carob-powder_pods.jpg

- I imagine it could be inappropiate because of PUFA

and barley coffee since I don't always trust decafinated coffee. Until Peat-style I always though this was a perfect way to drink 'coffee/capuccino' in the evening time but now I am having doubts.
What do you think?
8517383.jpg

- I imagine it could be inappropiate because of PUFA

OP
Ulla

Ulla

Actually not much PUFA (checked only now, didn't remember before but I asumed they have some fats and it is plant source...) but no one talks about those two here.
Any other second thoughts?
Otherwise I will consider them as safe :) I like carobs, they are sweet :)

tara

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Ulla

Ulla

I like it like 1 tbs in the cottage, apple sauce... so no harm done here :D

beachbum

I like it like 1 tbs in the cottage, apple sauce... so no harm done here :D
FYI...Carob cal to ph ratio is 4 to 1, pretty dang good. Low in pufa 0.7 in I think it was 3 oz. Good nutrients also:
This is the link of what I copied and paste below:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/296593-nutrition-in-carob-vs-chocolate/

Carob is frequently used as a substitute for chocolate because it can be made to taste and look similar to chocolate. Additionally, carob is often touted for its high nutrient content. However, closer examination reveals that both carob and chocolate both are quite nutritious, as long as they do not contain large amounts of added fat or sugar.

Fat
Carob is significantly lower in fat than chocolate. According to the National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, 1 ounce of unsweetened chocolate contains 15 grams of fat, while 1 ounce of carob flour, which is about 1/4 cup, contains 0 grams of fat. The same amount of cocoa powder, which has had much of the fat-containing cocoa butter removed, provides 4 grams of fat. Carob is a good alternative if you are following a low-fat diet, but carefully examine food labels, because carob-containing products may include added fat from other sources.

Carbohydrate
Another distinctive difference between carob and chocolate is the carbohydrate content. Chocolate contains about 8 grams of carbohydrate per ounce and cocoa powder 16 grams per ounce, but both contain 0 grams of sugar. Carob flour, on the other hand, provides 25 grams of total carbohydrate and 14 grams of sugar per ounce. Just as carob products often contain added fat, many chocolate products contain added sugar, which would offset this difference. Both carob and chocolate are also sources of dietary fiber, containing 11 grams and 5 grams per ounce, respectively.

Vitamins
Both carob and chocolate contain a variety of B vitamins, but carob contains higher concentration of these essential nutrients, including thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6 and folate. Neither is a good source of vitamin B12, which is found mainly in animal products.

Minerals
Both carob and chocolate are also sources of many essential minerals. Carob is particularly high in calcium, containing nearly 100 milligrams per ounce. Calcium is an important mineral for maintaining bone health, according to Medline Plus. Both are rich in iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper, manganese and selenium, but chocolate contains higher concentrations of each of these minerals.

Stimulants
One of the more important differences between carob and chocolate is the level of stimulants they contain. Chocolate contains small concentrations of caffeine and another stimulant called theobromine. According to Medline Plus, certain individuals should limit caffeine intake, including pregnant women and some people with heart conditions. These individuals could use carob as a chocolate substitute, since carob does not contain caffeine or theobromine.

HLP

Not so sure about Carob. One good thing about it, for those with loose stools....it will bung you up!

Apple

Anything wrong about carob ?
Low phosphorus, high in calcium , also magnesium , Potassium
No oxalates (unlike Cocoa )
Carob fights cancer.

Minerals
NutrientAmountDV
Calcium358.44 mg28 %
Copper0.59 mg66 %
Iron3.03 mg17 %
Magnesium55.62 mg13 %
Manganese0.523 mg23 %