Carnivore for sibo temporarily? hypothyroid/hashis advice please

ratqueen

Hello,
I'm new to this website/forum and I really like Peat's principles of what I understand so far.
However, I have extremely high methane SIBO, hypothyroidism/hashimotos, and extremely high inflammation.
I can't tolerate sugar well at all and my digestion is jacked. I'm wondering if I can adopt carnivore as a temporary relief for my sibo while taking a digestive aid called GB3:
it's used to treat gut dybosis and candida/parasites. I've tried allicin/oregano oil and tumeric for a month and didn't feel any relief.
I'm confused as to what I should be tackling first, I'm also in half a battle convincing my endo I have debilitating fatigue my T3 is minus 2.8, FT4: 15.7, TSH:1.98 and he's not convinced and says I could have CFS and not hypothyroid lol.

I also do coffee enemas once a week as I suspect the root cause of my hashis is the COPPER IUD!
So I am trying to eliminate heavy metals and increase gut motility with them.
I've been taking t3 thybon henning but in 10mg instead of 20 now for a few days under supervision from a functional doctor. I was taking it for a month and felt very little difference, just more anxiety and insomia (albeit I was keto during this so it may have been too much stress) and I wasn't taking full dose.
I'm now taking rifaximin 550mgx3 with high dose alicin 2700mg a day.

My functional doctor wants me to take neomycine and rifaximin he wasn't even aware what rifaximin was untill I told him about it, so i'm hesitant to try any of those black box antibiotics for it if my thyroid is still impaired anyway. I want to try anything before resorting to that.
My logic is if I can at least calm my gut down then that will help with thyroid conversion until I can be properly medicated, then transition from carnivore to a peat lifestyle?
I guess I'm just asking for advice. I know carnivore is not well received on this site but I don't know what to do from here. Eating every few hours (especially carbs) exacerbates all of my symptoms and fatiuge/inflammation. I'm a 25 yr old woman and I can barely function. My functional doctor also advised me to do HIT workouts which I don't understand, isn't that counterproductive??
Any advise please I'm desperate.

Nicole Carter

I coach people with UC/IBD and some have SIBO as well. They seem to do well with carnivore plus honey but it takes a while. I think abx might be needed in some cases.

unsubscribed

Mince & Maple Syrup goes good.
Carnivore with fruits, honey, maple syrup etc is a good place to start to lower the irritation in the gut.

KaiKamp

I coach people with UC/IBD and some have SIBO as well. They seem to do well with carnivore plus honey but it takes a while. I think abx might be needed in some cases.
Yeah, carnivore plus honey (up to like 70 gms of sugar a day for women to prevent the need for gluconeogenesis and related stress hormones) is a great idea.... Simple sugars shouldn't irritate SIBO, it's typically the starches, fibers and other carbs...

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures. I’ve been phasing in and out of mostly carnivore with honey since mid 2019 with good results. I was pretty strict for a couple years and now I will have starches and fibers without any major issues but it took a while. Starch for me is currently only once or twice a week because if I make it daily I start going down hill. Keep in mind I’m 28 years older than you so my healing capacity is probably slower than yours. Best wishes!

Momma

Interesting responses. This is the Ray Peat Forum right? Never read or heard Ray endorse the carnivore diet to heal. Several reasons for that.
Read his work. Tread lightly on the forum while trying to sort through healing.

unsubscribed

Interesting responses. This is the Ray Peat Forum right? Never read or heard Ray endorse the carnivore diet to heal. Several reasons for that.
Read his work. Tread lightly on the forum while trying to sort through healing.

I speak through personal experience. I’m not Ray. I’m me.

OP
R

ratqueen

Thanks for all the responses, I have noticed I tolerate honey OK so I think that will be my next option to try. As of right now i'm on day 7-8 of the rifaximin/alicin combo and my digestion has improved today somewhat, having normal bm and significantly less bloating, less dizzy fatiuge, not waking up in the middle of the night with stomach pains and gurgling. I'm just worried it will rebound as soon as I stop taking them.

I have tried raw milk and I tolerate it ok in the moment but I hear lots of movement in my intestines after trying it, so not sure I should keep drinking that. I think I'll transitions into primarily leaner meat and honey for now. I am eating some fodmaps to "wake up" the sibo as I heard thats the tactic while on antibiotics, thanks for the feedback.
Yeah, carnivore plus honey (up to like 70 gms of sugar a day for women to prevent the need for gluconeogenesis and related stress hormones) is a great idea.... Simple sugars shouldn't irritate SIBO, it's typically the starches, fibers and other carbs...
Interesting I wasn't sure about simple sugars being aggravating or not that opens up some new possibilities to try. 70 grams is a great reference (I had no idea), thank you!

Thank you so much - I will be sure to give it a listen as there's a lot of conflicting info out there especially on youtube
Mince & Maple Syrup goes good.
Carnivore with fruits, honey, maple syrup etc is a good place to start to lower the irritation in the gut.
Never considered maple syrup either that sounds very appetizing actually lol, thank you. Fruits don't sit well with me though I tried oranges/kiwis/grapes and none of them really sat well, organic OJ included. Blueberries were ok though. I will try the maple syrup idea and honey as I said sits well, no bloating, distension etc.

I'm on rifaximin at the moment, I may need to try abx combo, but I would assume fixing my thyroid may even remedy the problem followed by an appropriate diet. My methane is very high like 97ppm last time I checked, but I didn't retest after my herbal round as it wasn't recommended by my doc (now I know better). Just scared of creating future issues with the likes of flagyl or neomycine (my system is very weak as is). Thanks for the confirmation on the honey

Momma

I speak through personal experience. I’m not Ray. I’m me.
It’s not about you. It’s about the collective. The whole. And for me personally, the integrity of Peat’s life work.
It is surprising to click on a thread where it’s endorsed vs questioned (can she even digest meat? Phosphorus concerns. PTH. Stressed metabolism. Lifestyle. Dietary history. Supplemental history. Etc.)

OP
R

ratqueen

It’s not about you. It’s about the collective. The whole. And for me personally, the integrity of Peat’s life work.
It is surprising to click on a thread where it’s endorsed vs questioned (can she even digest meat? Phosphorus concerns. PTH. Stressed metabolism. Lifestyle. Dietary history. Supplemental history. Etc.)
Hi, I can digest meat OK, rice also, sorry I should have clarified that. I'm still reading and experimenting(?) with what I can eat at the moment, thats the only reason I suggested carnivore but I will read more into it, thank you. Any places/threads I can start? Sorry for the spoon-feed request. I don't want to do it long-term, maybe a few months max.

schmolch

Honey does not feed the bacteria that cause (?) SIBO or other digestive issues?
How would reasonable macros look like?
Could you do it high-carb low fat?

Jonk

To add a few things that seems to have helped me with my gut issues is ->
-> Vitamin C flush, a very gentle laxative in my subjective experience. Maybe increased transit from the large intestine and colon can help the SIBO, if it's originating from there and traveling up to the small intestine. Also the vitamin C feels like it's effective at lowering inflammation due to intestinal inflammation/endotoxin etc.
-> I used to drink my juice away from meals to not dilute stomach acid too much. Right now that doesn't feel like it's a problem, maybe because I eat A LOT of salt. Right now I eat about 20g beef tallow, maybe 100g of meat, some gelatin and a big glass of OJ every meal. If you haven't tried - eating plenty of long chain fatty acids with your carbs might slow down the gastric emptying enough that your body can handle it properly.
-> Less of a help, but still helpful, has been zinc supplementation.

Also - when I feel like my intestines are fine after high dose vitamin C, I'm A LOT more comfortable in the sun, where as if I feel my usual endotoxin symptoms sun exposure exacerbates them.

Edit: One more thing - Maybe getting symptoms in check temporarily with the above suggestions, or with any other for that matter, might make it easier for you to raise your vitamin D if that's low. I recently saw in another thread how different inflammatory conditions can shift the vitamin D to convert more to calcitriol instead of calcifediol.

Last edited:

Momma

Hi, I can digest meat OK, rice also, sorry I should have clarified that. I'm still reading and experimenting(?) with what I can eat at the moment, thats the only reason I suggested carnivore but I will read more into it, thank you. Any places/threads I can start? Sorry for the spoon-feed request. I don't want to do it long-term, maybe a few months max.
By all means experiment. But know how to assess or understand how your body is responding.
Starting with why are you in this spot. Why such stress and inflammation. Your history will tell the story and lead the way out. It’s not easy but you hold the answers.

Basics with a concentration on cellular energy:

SamYo123

"other carbs..." what other carbs are there after simple sugars and starches?

Peachy

To add a few things that seems to have helped me with my gut issues is ->
-> Vitamin C flush, a very gentle laxative in my subjective experience. Maybe increased transit from the large intestine and colon can help the SIBO, if it's originating from there and traveling up to the small intestine. Also the vitamin C feels like it's effective at lowering inflammation due to intestinal inflammation/endotoxin etc.
-> I used to drink my juice away from meals to not dilute stomach acid too much. Right now that doesn't feel like it's a problem, maybe because I eat A LOT of salt. Right now I eat about 20g beef tallow, maybe 100g of meat, some gelatin and a big glass of OJ every meal. If you haven't tried - eating plenty of long chain fatty acids with your carbs might slow down the gastric emptying enough that your body can handle it properly.
-> Less of a help, but still helpful, has been zinc supplementation.

Also - when I feel like my intestines are fine after high dose vitamin C, I'm A LOT more comfortable in the sun, where as if I feel my usual endotoxin symptoms sun exposure exacerbates them.

Edit: One more thing - Maybe getting symptoms in check temporarily with the above suggestions, or with any other for that matter, might make it easier for you to raise your vitamin D if that's low. I recently saw in another thread how different inflammatory conditions can shift the vitamin D to convert more to calcitriol instead of calcifediol.
Can you expand on what you do for a "vitamin c flush?"

Nicole Carter

Desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures. I’ve been phasing in and out of mostly carnivore with honey since mid 2019 with good results. I was pretty strict for a couple years and now I will have starches and fibers without any major issues but it took a while. Starch for me is currently only once or twice a week because if I make it daily I start going down hill. Keep in mind I’m 28 years older than you so my healing capacity is probably slower than yours. Best wishes!
Did you have SIBO as well?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Did you have SIBO as well?
I’m not sure. I gave up on doctors a while back. :)
I tried to get a full work up/GI testing in 2015 and was literally on a gurney with sedation on board when my procedure was canceled because the doctor called in… He supposedly was in a car accident but I have no idea if it was true. I gave up trying to go the conventional medical route after that disaster.

Jonk

Can you expand on what you do for a "vitamin c flush?"
Yes sure, it's nothing more than ingesting a lot of vitamin c powder really. I got a lot of inspiration from the site gutsense.org, but his "protocol" is vitamin c and magnesium citrate. The basic mechanism is that the body excretes the excess vitamin c with water back into the large intestine and stimulating a bowel movement. I've used both calcium ascorbate and ascorbic acid and haven't noticed any difference. I've also mixed the powder together with my coral calcium/magnesium supplement, just out of convenience.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals