Help Eliminate Chronic Bloating

Sumbody

I've had this issue for more than 10 years.

Recently I have traveled several paths in an attempt to resolve this in regards to either candida, SIBO, or dysbiosis, but without much luck.

I have tried natural antibiotics, amoxicillin, biofilm disrupters, fiber, various natural antifungals/parasites, etc., B vitamins, thyroid (currently taking thyroid), and just recently phages and probiotics that were recommended around here.

Just about all foods seem to cause this issue, fruit perhaps a little less. I have yet to try a temporary restrictive diet like a fruit and milk regimen, but I'm a little hesitant to try that just yet.

One thing that drives me crazy is the constant belching. This occurs in the mornings upon an empty stomach as well as after meals. But it baffles me as to why it occurs even on an empty stomach and this may be telling of the cause? It's almost as if my gut is constantly producing gases. Even swallowing a pill with a small amount of water produces lots of belching.

I rarely if ever have any associated stomach pains, just the discomfort of having a severely distended gut. Plus a little bit of self-consciousness as I'm a fairly slim guy, but a swollen gut makes me look like I'm 40lbs heavier than I am.

I've also tried Betaine HCl briefly but don't remember having any changes from it. I know that carrot salad is a Peat staple but I have tried this with zero effect as well.

Typically I have on average 3-5 bowel movements a day. Although while taking the probiotics, which I have discontinued, I was down to maybe 2-3 movements at best. Mornings I have a mildly coated tongue, but nothing to the extremes of some of the images I have seen online (yuck!)

Oddly enough I did seem to get some relief which lasted a couple of weeks after taking a 7-day cycle of a prescribed fluoroquinolone antibiotic (ciprofloxacin). At the time I was unaware of the dangers of these types of antibiotics, but I was prescribed this before my knowledge of it for an unrelated issue and noticed a bit less bloating and belching afterward. Although that was short-lived.

That alone might point to a SIBO issue, but why would ciprofloxacin have that effect while amoxicillin does not?

Feel free to share what has worked for you or any recommendations you may have. I feel like I have been taking shots in the dark and need to get to a more precise dialed-in approach, so your experiences may help guide me in the right direction. Much appreciation!

Peaterpeater

I’m in the same boat and still haven’t figured it out but I am already overweight and the distention is painful.
I’ve recently started a starch free diet and hoping that might help some.

mostlylurking

I've had this issue for more than 10 years.

Recently I have traveled several paths in an attempt to resolve this in regards to either candida, SIBO, or dysbiosis, but without much luck.

I have tried natural antibiotics, amoxicillin, biofilm disrupters, fiber, various natural antifungals/parasites, etc., B vitamins, thyroid (currently taking thyroid), and just recently phages and probiotics that were recommended around here.

Just about all foods seem to cause this issue, fruit perhaps a little less. I have yet to try a temporary restrictive diet like a fruit and milk regimen, but I'm a little hesitant to try that just yet.

One thing that drives me crazy is the constant belching. This occurs in the mornings upon an empty stomach as well as after meals. But it baffles me as to why it occurs even on an empty stomach and this may be telling of the cause? It's almost as if my gut is constantly producing gases. Even swallowing a pill with a small amount of water produces lots of belching.

I rarely if ever have any associated stomach pains, just the discomfort of having a severely distended gut. Plus a little bit of self-consciousness as I'm a fairly slim guy, but a swollen gut makes me look like I'm 40lbs heavier than I am.

I've also tried Betaine HCl briefly but don't remember having any changes from it. I know that carrot salad is a Peat staple but I have tried this with zero effect as well.

Typically I have on average 3-5 bowel movements a day. Although while taking the probiotics, which I have discontinued, I was down to maybe 2-3 movements at best. Mornings I have a mildly coated tongue, but nothing to the extremes of some of the images I have seen online (yuck!)

Oddly enough I did seem to get some relief which lasted a couple of weeks after taking a 7-day cycle of a prescribed fluoroquinolone antibiotic (ciprofloxacin). At the time I was unaware of the dangers of these types of antibiotics, but I was prescribed this before my knowledge of it for an unrelated issue and noticed a bit less bloating and belching afterward. Although that was short-lived.

That alone might point to a SIBO issue, but why would ciprofloxacin have that effect while amoxicillin does not?

Feel free to share what has worked for you or any recommendations you may have. I feel like I have been taking shots in the dark and need to get to a more precise dialed-in approach, so your experiences may help guide me in the right direction. Much appreciation!
Thiamine deficiency/blockage.
Two articles for you:
and: When SIBO & IBS-Constipation are just unrecognized thiamine deficiency

I got interested in thiamine function last fall when I read this article after my health went south after taking a course of Bactrim antibiotics: Bactrim: An Anti-Folate, Anti-Thiamine, Potassium Altering Drug - Hormones Matter

Evidently, a LOT of pharmaceutical drugs including antibiotics block/damage thiamine function. High dose thiamine may be very helpful. I'm taking high dose thiamine hcl with great results.

OP
S

Sumbody

Two articles for you:

I got interested in thiamine function last fall when I read this article after my health went south after taking a course of Bactrim antibiotics: Bactrim: An Anti-Folate, Anti-Thiamine, Potassium Altering Drug - Hormones Matter

Evidently, a LOT of pharmaceutical drugs including antibiotics block/damage thiamine function. High dose thiamine may be very helpful. I'm taking high dose thiamine hcl with great results.

I have taken up to 200mg of Allithiamine a day, but only for short periods of time.

I usually feel pretty good when I take it, but unless it is something I would need to take for very long periods of time it has never had much effect on digestion.

B2 and B3 on the other hand have. They reliably produce more bowel movements, but nothing for the bloating aspect.

My bloating began in my mid to late 20s. Long before I had ever had any antibiotics.

Actually come to think of it, about the time this perhaps started I had a leg injury that became infected so I was prescribed a cycle of amoxicillin. I would not be surprised if this was about the time the bloating began and then worsened as the years progressed.

Last edited:

mostlylurking

I have taken up to 200mg of Allithiamine a day, but only for short periods of time.

I usually feel pretty good when I take it, but unless it is something I would need to take for very long periods of time it has never had much effect on digestion.

B2 and B3 on the other hand have. They reliably produce more bowel movements, but nothing for the bloating aspect.

My bloating began in my mid to late 20s. Long before I had ever had any antibiotics.

Actually come to think of it, about the time this perhaps started I had a leg injury that became infected so I was prescribed a cycle of amoxicillin. I would not be surprised if this was about the time the bloating began and then worsened as the years progressed.
Taking 200mg allithiamine intermittently won't solve anything I don't think. If you have a thiamine deficiency, things get down-regulated to attempt to be in sync with what thiamine is available. Things can improve and get up-regulated if a steady supply of thiamine becomes reliably available. Having a blockage to thiamine function that happens for multiple reasons (mainly pharmaceutical drugs) is similar. The body tries to make do but things don't work so well. The nerves that control the digestive tract need thiamine to work right. If you're putting food in there but there's no stomach acid and the intestine can't move things along you're going to have problems.

I personally experienced amazing improvement on my gut function after two days of taking 2 grams of thiamine hcl/day. I had spent around 6 weeks prior slowly increasing my thiamine hcl dosage up to the 2 gram level.

Here's some videos:

OP
S

Sumbody

Taking 200mg allithiamine intermittently won't solve anything I don't think. If you have a thiamine deficiency, things get down-regulated to attempt to be in sync with what thiamine is available. Things can improve and get up-regulated if a steady supply of thiamine becomes reliably available. Having a blockage to thiamine function that happens for multiple reasons (mainly pharmaceutical drugs) is similar. The body tries to make do but things don't work so well. The nerves that control the digestive tract need thiamine to work right. If you're putting food in there but there's no stomach acid and the intestine can't move things along you're going to have problems.

I personally experienced amazing improvement on my gut function after two days of taking 2 grams of thiamine hcl/day. I had spent around 6 weeks prior slowly increasing my thiamine hcl dosage up to the 2 gram level.

Here's some videos:

I have tried B-vitamins in the past, and even without them I always have at least 3 bowel movements a day.

Perhaps I will try longer duration or larger amounts of Thiamine and see how things play out.

I am very well aware of the B-vitamin - gut connection but from previous attempts, I was never successful in the riddance of the bloating.

Vins7

Two articles for you:

ThiamineI have
Yes, tried it with and without charcoal every morning on empty stomach for like 2 months. No effects.
My symptoms are the same, gut always bloating without pain or excesive gas. I can't fix It.

Vins7

Two articles for you:

Did you have a clear benefit taking Thiamin related to gut bloating?

OP
S

Sumbody

ThiamineI have

My symptoms are the same, gut always bloating without pain or excesive gas. I can't fix It.
Same, in my case I have no pain, but lots of belching throughout the day. And even in the mornings before I eat any food, lots of belching.

mostlylurking

I took this product for a while, felt nothing from it. Took up to 400mg doses in some days, I think
@mostlylurking You think I could benefit from higher dosages?

Not from that stuff. Did you read the excipients in that product? I have no idea if you would benefit from higher doses of pure thiamine hcl. I'm not you.

Get yourself some clean pure thiamine hcl powder to try. Watch the videos I've posted. Learn what you need to take with it: magnesium, potassium (in orange juice) mainly. Be consistent with what you do; make notes. Take your temp and pulse before taking some and then an hour after taking some. If your temp goes up then the thiamine is probably improving your metabolism.

aadrock

BPC 157 works wonders for gut health. Maybe get a blood test also to check your thiamine levels. Then you can find if anything is low or high and contributing to your issues. Then you know where to start

OP
S

Sumbody

Probably LPR
Rarely have issues with reflux like that.

But I'm going to try using large doses of Thiamine for a while with other B vitamins as recommended above. And perhaps consider trying BPC 157.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals