2 Weeks of Rifaximin/Neomycin Did Nothing to Cull My Methane Dominant Sibo.

Sam321

So I've struggled with insomnia since February after taking a round of Penecillin. (See: here) It has gotten much better since covid restrictions lifting and being able to hang out with my friends more and all that. I still deal with a night or two here and there of not sleeping though and that is very demoralizing.

I did a SIBO breath test and found that I had a 25 score (mild case) for Methane dominant SIBO. The doctor put me on a 2 week dose of Rifaximin/Neomycin. During that time I had hella liquid poop and developed a ringing in my ears that hasn't gone away. 1 week after I test to see if it is still there or not. Not only is the methane SIBO still there, but it is literally a 26 score now (worse). The naturo wanted me to go on low fodmaps diet during the course to starve it out, but I declined to do so cause... you know... Peat.

I'm in a position where I am feeling pretty demoralized as rifax/neomycin seems like the "most effective" treatment for methane dominant SIBO and it didn't even make a scratch. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

mostlylurking

So I've struggled with insomnia since February after taking a round of Penecillin. (See: here) It has gotten much better since covid restrictions lifting and being able to hang out with my friends more and all that. I still deal with a night or two here and there of not sleeping though and that is very demoralizing.

I did a SIBO breath test and found that I had a 25 score (mild case) for Methane dominant SIBO. The doctor put me on a 2 week dose of Rifaximin/Neomycin. During that time I had hella liquid poop and developed a ringing in my ears that hasn't gone away. 1 week after I test to see if it is still there or not. Not only is the methane SIBO still there, but it is literally a 26 score now (worse). The naturo wanted me to go on low fodmaps diet during the course to starve it out, but I declined to do so cause... you know... Peat.

I'm in a position where I am feeling pretty demoralized as rifax/neomycin seems like the "most effective" treatment for methane dominant SIBO and it didn't even make a scratch. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
info here: When SIBO & IBS-Constipation are just unrecognized thiamine deficiency

and this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi0O_fzczYA

Many antibiotics will block thiamine function which makes the situation worse. I use thiamine hcl; a larger dose is needed because it has a low absorption rate in the gut. A good b-complex and some magnesium are helpful to supplement with as well. I use magnesium glycinate. Carrot salad and also well cooked mushrooms are important too.

Elliot Overton has several excellent videos about thiamine on his youtube channel that I found helpful.

Korven

Hey @Sam321

There's some good evidence that the probiotic bacteria L. reuteri can be used to treat/suppress methanogenic SIBO: IBS-C, methanogenic SIBO, and L. reuteri | Dr. William Davis

L. reuteri produces its own antibiotic substance reuterin which is probably how it kills off M. smithii. There are a couple posts on this forum about L. reuteri, I think the most affordable way is to buy Biogaia gastrus tablets and making your own yogurt.

OP
Sam321

Sam321

Hey @Sam321

There's some good evidence that the probiotic bacteria L. reuteri can be used to treat/suppress methanogenic SIBO: IBS-C, methanogenic SIBO, and L. reuteri | Dr. William Davis

L. reuteri produces its own antibiotic substance reuterin which is probably how it kills off M. smithii. There are a couple posts on this forum about L. reuteri, I think the most affordable way is to buy Biogaia gastrus tablets and making your own yogurt.
Nice, thanks for sharing.
I guess it isn't uncommon also to have to be on abx for 4-6 weeks trying to kill these bastards.

OP
Sam321

Sam321

info here: When SIBO & IBS-Constipation are just unrecognized thiamine deficiency

and this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi0O_fzczYA

Many antibiotics will block thiamine function which makes the situation worse. I use thiamine hcl; a larger dose is needed because it has a low absorption rate in the gut. A good b-complex and some magnesium are helpful to supplement with as well. I use magnesium glycinate. Carrot salad and also well cooked mushrooms are important too.

Elliot Overton has several excellent videos about thiamine on his youtube channel that I found helpful.

Am finally giving this a serious shot. Am up to 200mg a day. Thanks for sharing.

Missenger

The other guys were saying a full month straight with alternating 3 or more antibiotics equally for their symptoms.

mostlylurking

Am finally giving this a serious shot. Am up to 200mg a day. Thanks for sharing.
If you are taking TTFD thiamine, 200mg is a big dose. If you are taking thiamine hcl, 200mg isn't a very large dose at all. I took 200mg/day for 5 years and did OK on it until I got slammed by taking the antibiotic Bactrim (Bactrim blocks thiamine function). In order to regain my thiamine function and restore my oxidative metabolism I wound up taking 2 grams of thiamine hcl/day. Larger doses of thiamine hcl are needed because of poor absorption in the gut.

I tried taking the TTFD thiamine, but one 50mg capsule (pure, no excipients) gave me a headache that lasted 36 hours, so I stuck with thiamine hcl.

I settled on the 2 grams/day of thiamine hcl because that is the dose (based on weight) that Dr. Costantini of Italy used successfully to treat his Parkinson's Disease patients. Here is his site: HDT Therapy

It's important for you to pay attention to your body's reaction to the thiamine to determine what dose and which kind of thiamine will be the most beneficial to you.

OP
Sam321

Sam321

If you are taking TTFD thiamine, 200mg is a big dose. If you are taking thiamine hcl, 200mg isn't a very large dose at all. I took 200mg/day for 5 years and did OK on it until I got slammed by taking the antibiotic Bactrim (Bactrim blocks thiamine function). In order to regain my thiamine function and restore my oxidative metabolism I wound up taking 2 grams of thiamine hcl/day. Larger doses of thiamine hcl are needed because of poor absorption in the gut.

I tried taking the TTFD thiamine, but one 50mg capsule (pure, no excipients) gave me a headache that lasted 36 hours, so I stuck with thiamine hcl.

I settled on the 2 grams/day of thiamine hcl because that is the dose (based on weight) that Dr. Costantini of Italy used successfully to treat his Parkinson's Disease patients. Here is his site: HDT Therapy

It's important for you to pay attention to your body's reaction to the thiamine to determine what dose and which kind of thiamine will be the most beneficial to you.
Thanks.
I am starting low and slow with the HCL.
I'll check that info out.

After reading more about it I was like... well shucks... that actually might be the ticket, particularly with all the sweets I drink.

Jkbp

Forum Supporter
Do you take the 2 grams of thiamine with food? In divided doses? Thanks!

mostlylurking

Thanks.
I am starting low and slow with the HCL.
I'll check that info out.

After reading more about it I was like... well shucks... that actually might be the ticket, particularly with all the sweets I drink.
When I realized I had a major problem and wasn't sure yet what it was, I got real serious about charting my temperature and pulse. I hadn't been serious about it for a couple of years because I was doing so well on my prescription thyroid supplement. I discovered that I couldn't get my temperature above 97.6 and my pulse was gyrating all over the place between 75 and 120. It had never been that way before.

I used this information to test myself to see if a dose of thiamine hcl (about 250-300mg) would have any effect on my temperature and pulse. Within 45 minutes of taking that dose, my temperature jumped up to 98.6, my inflammation disappeared, and my pulse stabilized. This is how I confirmed to myself that my problem was related to thiamine. I also noticed that I could no longer eat home made gummies (high sugar) and I couldn't tolerate any coffee either. Coffee and tea block thiamine function; sugar uses it up so there's a deficit.

I think starting low and slowly increasing the dose over a few weeks is a good plan.

mostlylurking

Do you take the 2 grams of thiamine with food? In divided doses? Thanks!
I take 1 gram of thiamine hcl in the morning and 1 gram around 3:00 pm. It can keep you awake if you take it later in the day, but if you take it before 3:00pm it improves sleep. I dissolve it in water and I wait at least 15 minutes before I eat anything. Dr. Costantini recommended taking it with water not juice. There's a lot of helpful information on his site here: HDT Therapy

OP
Sam321

Sam321

I take 1 gram of thiamine hcl in the morning and 1 gram around 3:00 pm. It can keep you awake if you take it later in the day, but if you take it before 3:00pm it improves sleep. I dissolve it in water and I wait at least 15 minutes before I eat anything. Dr. Costantini recommended taking it with water not juice. There's a lot of helpful information on his site here: HDT Therapy
So you think this is a rest of your life kinda thing?

mostlylurking

So you think this is a rest of your life kinda thing?
I don't know. Possibly. I feel better than I have in about a year. My energy level is greatly improved and my inflammation is way down. Autonomic nervous system issues have resolved that have plagued me for 20 years. I'd like to keep the improvement.

OP
Sam321

Sam321

I don't know. Possibly. I feel better than I have in about a year. My energy level is greatly improved and my inflammation is way down. Autonomic nervous system issues have resolved that have plagued me for 20 years. I'd like to keep the improvement.
Wow incredible good to hear!

mostlylurking

Back
Top Bottom