Caffeine In Instant Espresso

Discussion in 'Caffeine' started by marikay, May 23, 2016.

1. marikay

marikay Member

Does anyone know (or have a good guess) how much caffeine is in a teaspoon of instant espresso? I keep finding wildly different amounts listed online.

2. milk_lover

milk_lover Member

I think it's somewhere between 40-60 mg of caffeine depending on the brand.

3. lindsay

lindsay Member

Photographer
    I have no idea. I would imagine it's not a lot. I always feel like drinking instant coffee (while better than nothing), is kind of like drinking coffee water. Are you just looking for a quick easy source of coffee/caffeine? If so, I would recommend cold brewing your own coffee in advance. I do this regularly these days and even pack it to travel for work. It's amazing!

4. OP
    marikay

marikay Member

Thanks. I guess this means I should do a double shot for my latte. I'm trying to get the coffee benefits without so much water. Cheers.

5. lvysaur

lvysaur Member

Preground coffee is bad.

It has less caffeine, tastes bad, and less of the coffee-specific compounds (doesn't make me poop as well as freshly ground coffee)

6. OP
    marikay

marikay Member

Thanks for the response. I'm trying to use an inexpensive way to get the benefits of coffee without the water. So right now I'm using a double shot of the instant espresso and cooling it before mixing with milk and sugar. It's pretty good, but I am wondering if I should make this drink twice a day instead of once. Cheers. :)

7. OP
    marikay

marikay Member

All true, but it takes too much time and is pretty expensive to do fresh ground every day. :)

8. lvysaur

lvysaur Member

It takes about the same time for me, and the beans are far cheaper than milk or fruit based on usage per day.

9. lindsay

lindsay Member

Photographer
    So you are trying to reduce fluid intake then, I take it? I would recommend making cold brew and concentrating it. This can be achieved super easily with a higher grounds to water ratio and letting it "brew" for a longer timeframe - two days will give you a very nicely concentrated and caffeinated brew which you can then mix with milk and sugar syrup (after filtering out the coffee)..... I salt my syrup to help the fluid balance. Also, I just bought the "Death by Coffee" brand, which is twice the caffeine and very strong. I can easily drink like 5 coffees a day and really love coffee, but if you just make a big batch, it would last you a good amount of time.

In my experience, beginning to drink good coffee will bring appreciation for good coffee. I now love it not only for the health benefits and energy, but also for the flavor, which makes it more pleasurable. Plus, I would have to say that cold brew is the cheapest method available. All you need is coffee grounds and a glass jar (the bigger the jar, the more coffee you can make at one time). Plus, you can always heat it up if you want. I have an espresso machine too, but I think I almost prefer the flavor of cold brew over my espresso machine - especially now that it's summer. I plan to experiment a lot with coffee brewing :)

If you don't want to cold brew, you can get a stove-top espresso maker real cheap. I used one of those for years with store bought coffee (but homemade cold brew is better, IMO).

10. mt_dreams

mt_dreams Member

The benefit is that people who do not own an espresso maker can easily make a cafe latte using instant. You can obviously also do this with cold concentrate, so you've got options.

I use medaglia d'oro instant double espresso with good results. I boil 30-50ml & mix similar to you. I usually do 1.5-2 tsp per coffee, twice a day. If you can handle the caffeine, you can drink as much as you want. my tolerance level is 4-5 tsp of the instant. I know some people that drink 8 strong espressos a day, so varies from person to person.

11. OP
    marikay

marikay Member

I'm using the medaglia d'oro as well. I'll try the two tsp. twice day route and report back how well it works. Thx.

12. OP
    marikay

marikay Member

thanks for this, but i don't have the time (or inclination:) to do much in the way of coffee experimenting. I used to live on the Big Island in Hawaii so I know about good coffee. But I don't want to spend the money or the time to get the caffeine and other good things from the coffee. Right now I need it fast and cheap, with no extra liquid. Cheers. :)