How Can You Tell Your Fatty Liver Is Better?

Evidence: gonna be hard to find. I’m kinda tired of looking for the perfect double blind randomized controlled trials on XYZ populations and whatnot every time I’m thinking biochemistry

Logic: if you don’t have large amounts of visceral fat to burn, and keep levels of free fatty acids low then you won’t have to ramp up lipoprotein production, keeping it in the optimal physiological range <100 mg/dL

Ulysses

You can get an ultrasound. NAFLD is a fairly serious condition, and one can probably find a physician who will care enough to actually visualize the liver.

brocktoon

You can get an ultrasound. NAFLD is a fairly serious condition, and one can probably find a physician who will care enough to actually visualize the liver.
Ultrasounds are the initial go to test for checking on fatty liver. I had one last month. When the results suggested fatty liver, I was sent for an MRI -- which confirmed diffusely fatty liver. I'm now rethinking many of the dietary and supplement ideas espoused on this forum, as many are not practical for those with nafld or, even worse, NASH.

OP
ecstatichamster
Ultrasounds are the initial go to test for checking on fatty liver. I had one last month. When the results suggested fatty liver, I was sent for an MRI -- which confirmed diffusely fatty liver. I'm now rethinking many of the dietary and supplement ideas espoused on this forum, as many are not practical for those with nafld or, even worse, NASH.

Which ones are not appropriate and why do you say that

brocktoon

Which ones are not appropriate and why do you say that
Mainly, I'm referring to haidut's and others admonitions to address liver illness before concerning yourself with going full Peat. Specifically, I'm reconsidering whether -- with a compromised, underfunctioning fatty liver -- I should be using niacinamide, high fructose or TyroMax. Thoughts?

OP
ecstatichamster
I would. I did. Why not?

I think fatty liver is due to PUFA. It takes a long time to lower stored PUFAs. Years. Meanwhile those are good things.

I had elevated liver enzymes, not terribly elevated just higher than reference range. I'll assume I had a fatty liver. For years I ate a pound of pistachios and one or two avocados every day.

brocktoon

Here's part of what I read from haidut that struck me w/regard to my liver and how to proceed: "Considering the Barnes book "Hypoglycemia: It's not your brain, it's your liver", which I read, it seems that restoring optimal liver function is also a key to improving metabolism. Yes, thyroid function is important too, but I think Peat's recommendation on supplementing thyroid even in the presence of normal thyroid labs may cause issues for a number of people... I they take it, they develop teeth issues, skin issues, anxiety or some other unpleasant symptoms. If they don't take it, their digestion slows down to a crawl or they start getting hypothyroid symptoms like brain fog or muscle issues, etc.
So, if the stats are true and the evidence I have seen is legit, then eating according to the peat guidelines is a great strategy AFTER metabolism is fixed. But if 80% of people over 30 are having liver issues or some other problems with metabolism, then the diet will be certainly supportive, but likely not "curative". And for some people with particularly bad liver problems the situation may end up getting worse in a way due to even more fatty liver issues or higher ammonia levels."

OP
ecstatichamster
Here's part of what I read from haidut that struck me w/regard to my liver and how to proceed: "Considering the Barnes book "Hypoglycemia: It's not your brain, it's your liver", which I read, it seems that restoring optimal liver function is also a key to improving metabolism. Yes, thyroid function is important too, but I think Peat's recommendation on supplementing thyroid even in the presence of normal thyroid labs may cause issues for a number of people... I they take it, they develop teeth issues, skin issues, anxiety or some other unpleasant symptoms. If they don't take it, their digestion slows down to a crawl or they start getting hypothyroid symptoms like brain fog or muscle issues, etc.
So, if the stats are true and the evidence I have seen is legit, then eating according to the peat guidelines is a great strategy AFTER metabolism is fixed. But if 80% of people over 30 are having liver issues or some other problems with metabolism, then the diet will be certainly supportive, but likely not "curative". And for some people with particularly bad liver problems the situation may end up getting worse in a way due to even more fatty liver issues or higher ammonia levels."

I don' t think so.

I think that people have metabolic problems and gut problems and they can take a few years to fix. I think this method of eating is to lower iron, PUFAs and endotoxins and that makes sense from day 1.

Spondive

I want add and I have said before on this forum I have had diagnosed fatty liver by ultrasound and elevated liver enzymes and have tried most everything and taking vitamin E succinate 800 iu a day lowered my liver enzymes to normal in 4 weeks.

OP
ecstatichamster
I want add and I have said before on this forum I have had diagnosed fatty liver by ultrasound and elevated liver enzymes and have tried most everything and taking vitamin E succinate 800 iu a day lowered my liver enzymes to normal in 4 weeks.

Thanks. This is a great reminder.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals