How Can You Tell Your Fatty Liver Is Better?

Is there any way you can tell, empirically or with a home-style test, or even a lab test, if your non alcoholic fatty liver is less fatty?

I've been doing K2 and high amounts of coffee and I am experiencing changes.

1. I can handle caffeine, a lot of caffeine (don't know how much, went from a few cups of tea a day to 6 to 10 cups of espresso)

2. Had a period of low libido and poor erections that went away and everything came back as strong as usual

3. taurine had a sedating effect on me, but not sure it does so much now

Ideally there is some way to measure your progress?

answersfound

Please use the search function. Haidut has covered this numerous times in extensive detail.

OP
ecstatichamster
it seems difficult to tell if you have a fatty liver.

You can get your enzymes checked in a lab, but that doesn't really tell you that much.

Apparently most people who have belly fat have fatty liver.

But you don't need to wait to lose all that belly fat, do you.

IF the caffeine and K2 thing works, then how do you benchmark your improvement?

DesertRat

I'm pretty much a newbie so hopefully others will correct me if wrong. I learned that the healthier the liver, the longer it retains glycogen so that you can tell both by your am temperature and by how long you can go without food.

Fletcher

ecstatichamster said:
post 116096
1. I can handle caffeine, a lot of caffeine (don't know how much, went from a few cups of tea a day to 6 to 10 cups of espresso)
I got a slight case of the jitters when I first took a 100mg caffeine tablet, now I can take 800-1200mg per day and not feel any jitters. I think this is a good sign the liver is now in better shape but I don't know of any better tests.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
ecstatichamster
Fletcher said:
post 116140
ecstatichamster said:
post 116096

Or is that just caffeine habituation?
I got a slight case of the jitters when I first took a 100mg caffeine tablet, now I can take 800-1200mg per day and not feel any jitters. I think this is a good sign the liver is now in better shape but I don't know of any better tests.

Forsythia

Fletcher said:
post 116140 I got a slight case of the jitters when I first took a 100mg caffeine tablet, now I can take 800-1200mg per day and not feel any jitters. I think this is a good sign the liver is now in better shape but I don't know of any better tests.
Fletcher, how long did it take you to go from 100 mg of caffeine a day to 800-1200 mg caffeine a day?

OP
ecstatichamster
i'm doing a lot better with coffee. It had made me jittery and hyped up. Now I have 6 or 8 cups of strong coffee (espressos) a day. And I've added some theanine once or twice but don't really need it. And I have no trouble sleeping etc.

And there has been a big change in how I handle the coffee and taurine. When I started taking taurine I felt awful. But now it doesn't seem to affect me. And I'm increasing quantities of it.

I'm also taking K2.

But I want to have an objective benchmark for recovery

On some old threads it was suggested to drink alcohol and see how much MORE quickly you get sobor, but I don't drink.

Peata

I believe haidut said that caffeine is used as part of the test to measure liver function and how well you process it shows your liver health. So your increase in caffeine without a stress response seems like a good sign.

Did you lose any weight, particularly belly fat? I don't know that these are markers for liver health, but I would be curious if you had improvement in something like dark circles under eyes, sleep, mental sharpness, itching, estrogen symptoms, whites of eyes, pain in right side, energy, acne, food tolerance...?

OP
ecstatichamster
Peata said:
post 116199 I believe haidut said that caffeine is used as part of the test to measure liver function and how well you process it shows your liver health. So your increase in caffeine without a stress response seems like a good sign.

Did you lose any weight, particularly belly fat? I don't know that these are markers for liver health, but I would be curious if you had improvement in something like dark circles under eyes, sleep, mental sharpness, itching, estrogen symptoms, whites of eyes, pain in right side, energy, acne, food tolerance...?

Gained weight so far. No other improvements yet. Early days though. I'm in the low 96 f. Temp trying to ramp up with thyroid supps.

Fletcher

Forsythia said:
post 116166 Fletcher, how long did it take you to go from 100 mg of caffeine a day to 800-1200 mg caffeine a day?

About a month. As I got the jitters I took 50mg twice per day, upping to 100mg then 200mg and now I'll take 400-600mg twice per day.

Orion

Fletcher said:
post 116316
Forsythia said:
post 116166 Fletcher, how long did it take you to go from 100 mg of caffeine a day to 800-1200 mg caffeine a day?

About a month. As I got the jitters I took 50mg twice per day, upping to 100mg then 200mg and now I'll take 400-600mg twice per day.

Nice. I am at about 200mg/day(took Dec to get there), hope to be around 400mg/day by the end of January

superhuman

Fletcher said:
post 116316
Forsythia said:

have you noticed any benefits from it ?

Fletcher

superhuman said:
have you noticed any benefits from it ?
I was diagnosed with a mild case of NAFLD. I'm hoping my tolerance to caffeine is a sign that my liver is now healthier than it was before; as Haidut has stated on multiple occasions, it does not take long for the liver to recover. I expect future labs to show this. Taking high dose caffeine can give you a boost if you're feeling sluggish, so that is an immediate benefit, but I think it's just one of a number of things which contribute to my having more energy these past few months.

Ulla

How do we really recognize fatty liver? Beside ultrasound.

I have low AST and ALT enzymes, but my triglycerides got a little bit higher in past two months (eating more sugars, fruits).
Hypoglycemia occurs too so I wonder if this is going toward fatty liver or not (long term).
I am not fat or anyhow overweight but I think this isn't a rule for not having a fatty liver.

Well blood tests also aren't a rule for having fatty liver :smuggrin: but maybe in Pubmed we could find some kind of ratio for diagnosis...