Complete Coffee Newbie HELP Please :)

x-ray peat

I kind of do a French Press without the French Press. I just grind my coffee put it in a glass coffee carafe and pour hot water over it to steep. I then pour it through a paper filter to get rid of the cholesterol raising compounds. No muss no fuss very easy to clean. Some claim that if you let the coffee steep to long it gets bitter but I dont find that to be the case.

schultz

The cool thing about the French press is that you can make both hot-, and cold-brewed coffee with it. Some people might think that cold-brewed coffee is identical to hot coffee poured-over ice or cooled-down in the fridge.

Not true. By brewing the coffee cold, an entire different chemical profile is extracted. The result is less acidic and more chocolate-like coffee.

The only perceivable downside is that the French press makes coffee drinking so easy and convenient that you might end-up drinking it all day; liters upon liters of coffee. A schizophrenic amount of coffee.

Yes! I forgot about cold brew. I heard about on the radio earlier this summer and have been meaning to try it. Good reason to get a french press again.

OP
S

Steve123

Anybody have issues with libido and coffee? I do not plan to drink more than 1 cup before a workout.. Would this be detrimental to libido at all?

Also, Would a 100% stainless steel french press be okay? (No other materials?)

OP
S

Steve123

Guys, I cannot find a 100% glass with minimal stainless steel french press/cafetiere coffee maker.. So the best i've found are the following.. what would be better.. a 100% 304 Stainless steel cafetiere/french press OR a mainly glass cafetiere/french press with smaller amounts of stainless steel and bpa free plastic from the lid? Thanks!

Also do not want to spend loads on Chemex etc as its my first time ever drinking coffee so want to test things out first.

Travis

This is what I am using. I think it comes in a few different sizes. I have the ³⁄₄ liter: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41vhRjsDkUL.jpg

I do realize that there is a bit of plastic on the top, but it only makes ephemeral contact with the coffee. But I do cross my fingers everytime I pour a glass hoping I don't randomly sprout a plasticizer-induced tumor.

Last edited:
OP
S

Steve123

This is what I am using. I think it comes in a few different sizes. I have the ³⁄₄ liter: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41vhRjsDkUL.jpg

I do realize that there is a bit of plastic on the top, but it only makes ephemeral contact with the coffee. But I do cross my fingers everytime I pour a glass hoping I don't sprout a plasticizer-induced tumor.
So is that a better option than a full stainless steel french press - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-Jam...04617968&sr=8-14&keywords=french+press+coffee ? I did also find this one.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ritual-Imp...04618055&sr=8-17&keywords=french+press+coffee .. Thanks !

Travis

I would go with the glass. It's more delicate, but it looks nicer.

And although brewed coffee is slightly acidic—meaning there will probably be an insignificant amount of steel leaching—I would be more worried about attrition. Pushing the piston down thousands of times over a coffee-drinking career could lead to a non-insignificant amount of iron consumption.

Although probably highly-polished and smooth on the inside, you would still be moving steel-against-steel.

OP
S

Steve123

And although brewed coffee is slightly acidic—meaning there will probably be an insignificant amount of steel leaching—I would be more worried about attrition. Pushing the piston down thousands of times over a coffee-drinking career could lead to a non-insignificant amount of iron consumption.
Looks and things of that nature aside.. What would be better then? Or is it no difference as like you said, insignificant amount of steel leaching? The bamboo part i'm not sure about with glass one..

OP
S

Steve123

Although probably highly-polished and smooth on the inside, you would still be moving steel-against-steel.
Actually found another possibility.. How about using this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coffee-Mak...qid=1504621540&sr=8-9&keywords=coffee+filters ? Thats probably even more of a win win right? If someone has used one could they chip in maybe say if its easy/quick and convenient to use ? I have bought this coffee so would this be okay to use with it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cafédirect...qid=1504621728&sr=1-1&keywords=organic+coffee ?

L

lollipop

I do realize that there is a bit of plastic on the top, but it only makes ephemeral contact with the coffee. But I do cross my fingers everytime I pour a glass hoping I don't randomly sprout a plasticizer-induced tumor.
This was my travel one until it broke and I replaced with plastic. Now I feel like giving it away and using @squanch idea in other thread.

Kate

Hey Guys, I know nothing about coffee,
- What is the best type of Coffee?
- What is safest way to make coffee? like either Chemex or a French press glass or any other safe methods with minimal amount of transfer from materials into coffee? (French press with stainless steel and borosilicate glass okay? Or are the filter papers used on the chemtex something that could transfer into coffee?)
- Any specific coffee's you guys use that you could link in so I can get an idea?
- Is instant coffee safe?
- Would you drink coffee out? At a local cafe or at Starbucks etc?
- Anything I should ask manafacturer of coffee before buying with regards to way its processed or possible toxins etc etc?
- How many grams of coffee do you put in each cup along with water?

Would the following coffee brands be fine?:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...qid=1502042972&sr=8-5&keywords=organic+coffee

Premium Organic Ground Coffee - 100% Arabica Spanish Espresso Blend from Award Winning Café Saula 500g (2x 250g): Amazon.co.uk: Grocery

Or maybe something like this if going for an instant coffee?: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...044107&sr=8-4&keywords=organic+coffee+instant

Thanks guys !
I would definitely check out DaveFoster's podcasts if you haven't already

Travis

I broke three in my life. Two were classic ones that I found at a second-hand store. These were cool and nearly irreplaceable (although you could probably actually find it on Ebay where rare antique things always pop-up).

L

lollipop

Lisa, Do you think a 100% stainless steel french press is okay?
I would go with @Travis recommendation. Long ago I used my glass French press for years before it broke. This would be healthy and relatively inexpensive way to start exploring coffee ❤️ Which is soooo yummy.

DavidGardner

Hey Guys, I know nothing about coffee,
- What is the best type of Coffee?
- What is safest way to make coffee? like either Chemex or a French press glass or any other safe methods with minimal amount of transfer from materials into coffee? (French press with stainless steel and borosilicate glass okay? Or are the filter papers used on the chemtex something that could transfer into coffee?)
- Any specific coffee's you guys use that you could link in so I can get an idea?
- Is instant coffee safe?
- Would you drink coffee out? At a local cafe or at Starbucks etc?
- Anything I should ask manafacturer of coffee before buying with regards to way its processed or possible toxins etc etc?
- How many grams of coffee do you put in each cup along with water?

Would the following coffee brands be fine?:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...qid=1502042972&sr=8-5&keywords=organic+coffee

Premium Organic Ground Coffee - 100% Arabica Spanish Espresso Blend from Award Winning Café Saula 500g (2x 250g): Amazon.co.uk: Grocery

Or maybe something like this if going for an instant coffee?: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...044107&sr=8-4&keywords=organic+coffee+instant

Thanks guys !

I don't think there is a best type of coffee. It really depends on your taste. 100% Arabica is usually considered higher quality but has somewhat less caffeine than cheaper blends that use Robusta.

I really don't worry about how it's made, but I don't use K-cups. Soft plastic like the kind in K-cups leaches more than the hard plastic used in drip coffee makers. Still, given the choice I prefer an all steel percolator.

If you're going to do instant at all I can only recommend Nescafe. You'll just have to trust me on this.

I don't drink coffee out b/c I hate getting ripped off. Dunkin' Donuts is better than Starbucks IMO.

And don't worry about toxins. That's just my two cents. The manufacturers aren't going to tell you anything. You can probably look into it but you'll just end up scaring yourself into buying unnecessarily expensive coffee that is supposedly "toxin-free." Statistically, coffee drinkers live longer than coffee abstainers, and most people aren't trying to discern the toxin level of their coffee. All coffee has toxins, but the benefits outweigh this.

I like to brew about a tablespoon of coffee to each marked "cup" of coffee or slightly less. That will produce a medium strength coffee. You can adjust from there.

As far as libido, it is well established that caffeine increases testosterone. But caffeine is a vasoconstrictor, so "shrinkage" can definitely be an issue dependent on the amount you consume.

Start slow and see how it affects you. And be aware that caffeine is ADDICTIVE! Do not underestimate this. Just how addictive varies from person to person, but I can tell you that rampant caffeine dependency is not fun and can be very difficult to get out of. So be sure not to escalate your consumption to quickly.

OP
S

Steve123

Sorry guys, just copying and pasting my post from the other coffee thread so more folks can see..

So is using a paper coffee filter the safest way to make coffee in terms of what leaches in the coffee? Does the paper filters leach any type of thing into the coffee like maybe a French press with plastic would for example?

And is the process literally just plonk a paper filter into the coffee mug you intend to drink from, put your coffee into the filter, then pour hot water through? If so, that's great!

Would these filters be okay? Or should I look for a specific brand which would sell the safest materials? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...ter+papers&dpPl=1&dpID=51LlGsFJu9L&ref=plSrch

OP
S

Steve123

Guys, any tips for a coffee newbie like me on starting coffee to increase tolerance to it, as I've never ever drunk it ever before? E.g Small amounts first? More milk? Etc? Small amounts Different times of day etc etc? Cheers!

OP
S

Steve123

Also wondering.. I;ve read a few negatives to coffee/caffeine.. A few examples: How caffeine can unbalance the GABA thing, Also i've heard coffee is like thyroid and can shut of natural production of thyroid function.. is this true? DO all the benefits outweigh any negatives and its totally worth starting on coffee when i've drunk it before? Thanks

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom