Bloating After Hydrolyzed Collagen?

A

Anonymous

I'm using a Hydrolyzed collagen powder for when I eat meat to balance amino acids. Im trying to pinpoint what is causing my digestive issues and I'm guessing it's this collagen supplement. It's not Great Lakes. It's pasture raised and it doesn't have any fillers or other stuff. I thought collagen was supposed to help digestion, not screw it up. Is this a normal phenomenon?

Zachs

Pretty much all gelatin powders have endotoxin. I have heard many people complain of digestive upset from gelatin.

tara

You could try different brands or try whole gelatine - some people ave trouble with hydrolysed collagen, some with gelatine, some ok with either.

nikotrope

I have digestive problems with gelatin. I've tried multiple brands, same thing. It's clearly related to an endotoxin increase for me. Maybe eating it with some mct oil, carrot salad or others substances known to reduce endotoxin and/or improve digestive tract would help.

artemis

I react to the hydrolyzed form with severe nausea, shakiness, sweating, etc. Something to do with the glutamic acid and the hydrolyzation process. Feels like a combination of a hypoglycemic episode and reaction to MSG. Strangely, I tolerate the regular, non-hydrolyzed form fine.

OP
A

Anonymous

Great thanks everyone this helped a lot.

SQu

You could also try smaller quantities. I can't have lots or I get averse and a sore stomach but say 2 tsps in a cup of liquid goes down well. Mine is just standard gelatin not hydrolyzed.

DKayJoe

I react badly to any powdered gelatin, it causes rumbly stomach/poor stool quality almost instantly. As soon as I switched to making masses of bone broth all issues stopped, I guess some people just can't handle the endotoxins.

J

jb116

Often B6 along while eating will help with metabolizing amino acids and especially profiles with high glutamic acid and hydrolized forms.

Sea

I couldn't digest collagen until after I took antibiotics. I think you probably just have some sibo. I recommend taking some tetracycline or the stronger minocyline which I noticed the best effects from.

Makrosky

Zachs said:
Pretty much all gelatin powders have endotoxin. I have heard many people complain of digestive upset from gelatin.

How can it have endotoxins if it's USP grade ?

I don't understand it.

Makrosky

Could it be the glycine and not the supposed endotoxins ? Because glycine supplementation can cause diarrhea as well.

PeatJAM

MSG is formed in the process of making gelatine....I cannot tolerate bone broth and unfortunately it seems not gelatine either due to the MSG.

D

Deleted member 5487

I react to the hydrolyzed form with severe nausea, shakiness, sweating, etc. Something to do with the glutamic acid and the hydrolyzation process. Feels like a combination of a hypoglycemic episode and reaction to MSG. Strangely, I tolerate the regular, non-hydrolyzed form fine.
Okay I am not the only one to experience this

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals