Probita Collagen

Nicole

Hey! Apologies for posting here as I cant find the "post new" (or it doesn't work on my phone). It is a related post on collagen/glycine.

All great lakes orange and green collagen stop my digestion and cause havoc. So I opted for Probita collagen Chews http://www.your-visi.ca/visi-products/c ... tein-chew/.
They seemed ok at first but I've been extremely fatigued (hard to believe I could get more tired), severely nauseated with no hunger for 2 weeks now. I'm wondering if it's the tryptophan in it? I was hoping the other amino acids would make it balanced. Can anyone speak to this product? I'll try posting in separate thread when I can find out how.

loess

I only quickly skimmed over that page, but it appears that they've intentionally added tryptophan to that product for some reason. Ray Peat generally recommends minimizing tryptophan consumption to protect against the release of excessive serotonin.

I couldn't find an ingredients list on that link, but I googled the product and it is as follows:
Hydrolyzed Collagen Protein, Maltitol Syrup, Palm Oil, Citric Acid, Mono and Diglycerides, Natural Flavor, Sunflower Lecithin, Salt, Cloudberry, Lingonberry, Stevia, Beetroot Juice.

Quick rundown:
- Palm oil and sunflower lecithin are both are sources of PUFA
- I'm not familiar with maltitol, but I'm guessing it's some kind of sugar substitute derived from starch. These types of substances can be problematic and a source of gut irritation, raising endotoxin load and serotonin.
- Mono and Diglycerides: here is a topic about that.
- "Natural Flavor" could be just about anything.
- Stevia is not the worst thing in the world, but why bother when you could just have sugar (or fruit or honey)?
- Beetroot juice I am guessing they just put it in there for color

OP
N

Nicole

Thank you Loess - I'll read about the mono/diglycerides too! I hoped at such small amounts of those ingredients (small chew) wouldn't cause much havoc but it's definitely possible. My skin plumped up which was a benefit as chronic illness really caused me to lose the youthful look but I've stopped for now given the fatigue and digestion issues. The tryptophen is a lesser amount than glycine and not sure what the ratio should be.. if that's how it works.

Probita’s Amino Acid Profile

Alanine 11.30%
Arginine 9%
Aspartic Acid 6.7%
Cysteine trace
Glutamic Acid 11.6%
Glycine 27.2%
Histadine 0.7%
Hydroxylysine 0.76%
Hydroxyproline 13.3%
Isoleucine 1.54%
Leucine 3.45%