Best Bulbs To Use? Alternatives To Incandescents

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
do you have any studies or evidence that violet is helpful someone asked me and I couldn't find any info. If it as energetically intense as blue it should like uv being bad?

This site has a good introduction about light and its attributes in relation to living beings.

Color Light Therapy for Health and Healing

A big part of the issue is we have all had a over-abundance of blue light in our lives from the time we are young, all public schools and most work places use Fluorescent lighting, this type of light peaks in the blue spectrums along with having other dangerous health effects.

Compact fluorescents CFL are the very worst of lighting created by humans, besides the unnatural peaks in the blue wavelengths they leak mercury also ultraviolet light, along with a brain desynchronizing flicker, its all ads up to health problems and is probably the cause of a lot of physical and mental health issues for people. So avoid compact fluorescent lights CFLs.

LED technology has come a long way and is so much better then Fluorescent lights, they now make long LED light tubes to replace fluorescent lights and many intelligent school districts and principals are having the schools change over to using LED lights now.

Fortunately at home we can make our own choices for lighting.

biggirlkisss

@ecstatichamster maybe in 10-20 years we can abandon the incandescent because the cri will be so rich and lumens be so high. You can buy solid red led 100 or 200 watt chips and power supplies but its pricey and you need soldering skills so. I'm thinking 8000 watt of incandescent pulled on 5 breakers in a house use them for 5 minutes per hour. Could give good results.

bistecca

I know an electrician who had a shed full of incandescent bulbs and let me take as many as i wanted. The whole appt is all incandescent now and i love it. Anybody know a place online you can buy them?

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
I know an electrician who had a shed full of incandescent bulbs and let me take as many as i wanted. The whole appt is all incandescent now and i love it. Anybody know a place online you can buy them?

You can buy incandescent bulbs on Amazon or most hardware and grocery stores sell them but as specialty bulbs, so they will be different shape... round or candelabra style and other shapes.

tankasnowgod

I still have a slew of incandecents, but I'm using the soft white LEDs for some specialty bulbs, and they tend to look pretty nice. Also, they generate almost no heat. Turning an incandecent or halogen on, and it would burn you after 30 seconds. LEDs can be on for hours and only feel slightly warmer than room temp.

I do have some amber tint, and I might wrap than around the LED GU10 bulbs I have.

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
I still have a slew of incandecents, but I'm using the soft white LEDs for some specialty bulbs, and they tend to look pretty nice. Also, they generate almost no heat. Turning an incandecent or halogen on, and it would burn you after 30 seconds. LEDs can be on for hours and only feel slightly warmer than room temp.

I do have some amber tint, and I might wrap than around the LED GU10 bulbs I have.

Halogen bulbs are not so healthy, they have to much light in the green wavelengths, incandescent bulbs are more balanced in the orange and red spectrums.

southcesar

Does anyone have any information about LED carbon filament lamps? The emitted light looks quite yellowish, maybe better (or less worse) than the cold/warm LED.

Lumalux

Incandescent bulbs are still readily available online at mostly reasonable prices. There are many sellers on eBay. Look for "rough service" A19 bulbs. Rough service bulbs are less efficient than standard retail incandescents and halogens and they burn a little cooler, which results in a warmer color temperature (cooler filament = lower color temp = warmer appearance). I have been a light bulb collector for 50 years and have an attic full of all sorts of incandescent bulbs. I was collecting them long before CFLs and LEDs threatened their existence.
Try also searching for "krypton" or "long life". There are lots of options.
You can also find traffic signal bulbs in odd wattages that will work splendidly in most lamp applications BUT most are supposed to be burned base down to horizontal because the filaments are mounted closer to the base. They are rated for very long life, thus have a warmer color temp of around 2,600K. These are available in 130 volt wattages of around 60 up to about 200 and typically will last in excess of 10,000 hours on 120 volts.

southcesar

Does anyone have any information about LED carbon filament lamps? The emitted light looks quite yellowish, maybe better (or less worse) than the cold/warm LED.
LED filament lamps** Those LED bulbs that are made to look like incandescent bulbs.

Lumalux

LED filament lamps** Those LED bulbs that are made to look like incandescent bulbs.
I have found that filament LED bulbs vary widely in how well they replicate the light and appearance of an incandescent lamp. Some of the best that are currently available (in the US) are the Sylvania Reduced Eye Strain Soft White A19 (4-pack), GE Relax A19 (4-pack), and Philips EyeComfort warm glow LEDs. All are available in clear and soft white, produce a true 2,700K light, and are 90 CRI or higher. The CRI indicates the quality of the light - 100 is like sunlight and is optimal. Also excellent are the Cree LED lamps. Their chandelier CA10 bulbs with a candelabra base are nearly indistinguishable from incandescent; I have them in our Colonial lamppost near our driveway (3 bulbs in candles). Cree's 250 watt equivalent PAR38 in Bright White (3,000K) is a dead ringer for halogen and is perfect for outdoor floodlighting fixtures previously using halogen bulbs and indoor recessed fixtures in higher ceilings.
I really despise the prevalence of daylight color LEDs. To me the light is jarring and unsettling. 5,000K light is great in a large work environment where the light is very diffused like natural light, but I positively hate point source daylight colored lamps such as in table lamps, outdoor flood lamps and entryway lighting. Looks so off-putting and cold to me - like a Trailways bus station.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I sleep way better when I stick to candles for light or a small red light after dark.

Lumalux

I sleep way better when I stick to candles for light or a small red light after dark.
We are evolutionarily wired for incandescent light (sunlight, fire), especially during later evening hours when our bodies are trying to shut down for the day. I think a lot of sleep troubles can be traced to using daylight lamps too much, and too late in the day.
If you like a white light, a much better choice is a neodymium incandescent (like GE Reveal) or an LED equivalent. Those have a lower color temp (2,800-2,850K).

Blossom

Forum Supporter
We are evolutionarily wired for incandescent light (sunlight, fire), especially during later evening hours when our bodies are trying to shut down for the day. I think a lot of sleep troubles can be traced to using daylight lamps too much, and too late in the day.
If you like a white light, a much better choice is a neodymium incandescent (like GE Reveal) or an LED equivalent. Those have a lower color temp (2,800-2,850K).
Yes, I’m starting to realize light plays a larger role in health than most of us appreciate.

Lumalux

I sleep way better when I stick to candles for light or a small red light after darkI really like

Yes, I’m starting to realize light plays a larger role in health than most of us appreciate.
I forgot to mention that I really like to use neodymium incandescents on dimmers for table lamps around the house. The reason is I can get full brightness for task work and ordinary use (the light is a nice incandescent color with a tinge of purple that makes colors really pop and I feel good). Later in the evening and to use table lamps as guide lights when not in use, I dim them down and the neodymium creates a wonderful, relaxing warm pinkish light the color of sunset. You should try this if you like candlelight and reddish light near bedtime. I think it's sublime. Most people do not recognize the impact of light color and quality on their well-being.
I have found that the newer halogen neodymiums dim but the color does not warm as well as conventional neodymium incandescents (this has to do with the way halogen works and the filament stays hot when voltage is reduced). You may have to go to your nearest Pet Smart or other pet supply retailer and buy a reptile neodymium bulb (I've seen them in 60, 75, 100 and 150 watt sizes). Even WalMart currently has a nice 75W neodymium A19 bulb in their reptile section for about $5 and they are really nice quality, with a heat reflector disc near the base.

P

Peatness

I heard an interview with Stephaine Seneff yesterday where she says she never wear sunglasses, and add that she has perfect eyesight. Here is an article where she talks about the benefits of sunlight

ARTICLE SUMMARY
• Sulfate synthesis in the skin captures the sun’s energy. Adequate sunlight exposure to both the skin and the eyes is vital to our long-term health.
• Among other functions, sulfate supports blood vessel health, the body’s electrical supply and the delivery system for important molecules such as cholesterol, vitamin D, dopamine and melatonin.
• Evidence indicates that sunlight protects against cancer, heart disease, hypertension and bone fractures.
• The benefits of sunlight exposure are about much more than vitamin D.
• Many studies show that vitamin D supplementation cannot reproduce sunlight’s health benefits. Moreover, excessive vitamin D supplementation can aggravate systemic sulfate deficiency, which will drive calcium buildup in the arteries.
• Both sunscreen and glyphosate interfere with synthesis and production of melanin—the body’s natural mechanism of sun protection. Aluminum in sunscreen disrupts sulfate synthesis. These disruptions may explain why melanoma prevalence has steadily risen in tandem with the increased use of higher sun-protection-factor sunscreens over the past two decades.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lumalux

I heard an interview with Stephaine Seneff yesterday where she says she never wear sunglasses, and add that she has perfect eyesight. Here is an article where she talks about the benefits of sunlight

And along these lines, the distinction has to be made between sunlight and daylight. I think exposure to daylight is important for health and well-being, but it's exposure to direct sunlight (warm, lots of infrared) that really makes me feel good. During the summer months I sunbathe for hours and spend weekends in the sun doing yard work and exercising, and I can recognize the profound positive impact that UV exposure has on my mood and outlook. I take precautions not to burn my skin. I tan easily and intentionally expose my entire body to UV for its psychological benefits and how I look with darker skin.
I know the years of sun exposure have trashed my skin (I am 55) but I don't know what the correct balance is between zero exposure (ridiculous) and getting plenty of UV to feel and look great. I just think that we evolved to be exposed to sunlight, and take appropriate precautions based on how pigmented your skin is.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I forgot to mention that I really like to use neodymium incandescents on dimmers for table lamps around the house. The reason is I can get full brightness for task work and ordinary use (the light is a nice incandescent color with a tinge of purple that makes colors really pop and I feel good). Later in the evening and to use table lamps as guide lights when not in use, I dim them down and the neodymium creates a wonderful, relaxing warm pinkish light the color of sunset. You should try this if you like candlelight and reddish light near bedtime. I think it's sublime. Most people do not recognize the impact of light color and quality on their well-being.
I have found that the newer halogen neodymiums dim but the color does not warm as well as conventional neodymium incandescents (this has to do with the way halogen works and the filament stays hot when voltage is reduced). You may have to go to your nearest Pet Smart or other pet supply retailer and buy a reptile neodymium bulb (I've seen them in 60, 75, 100 and 150 watt sizes). Even WalMart currently has a nice 75W neodymium A19 bulb in their reptile section for about $5 and they are really nice quality, with a heat reflector disc near the base.
Thank you!

ARTICLE SUMMARY
• Sulfate synthesis in the skin captures the sun’s energy. Adequate sunlight exposure to both the skin and the eyes is vital to our long-term health.
• Among other functions, sulfate supports blood vessel health, the body’s electrical supply and the delivery system for important molecules such as cholesterol, vitamin D, dopamine and melatonin.
• Evidence indicates that sunlight protects against cancer, heart disease, hypertension and bone fractures.
• The benefits of sunlight exposure are about much more than vitamin D.
• Many studies show that vitamin D supplementation cannot reproduce sunlight’s health benefits. Moreover, excessive vitamin D supplementation can aggravate systemic sulfate deficiency, which will drive calcium buildup in the arteries.
• Both sunscreen and glyphosate interfere with synthesis and production of melanin—the body’s natural mechanism of sun protection. Aluminum in sunscreen disrupts sulfate synthesis. These disruptions may explain why melanoma prevalence has steadily risen in tandem with the increased use of higher sun-protection-factor sunscreens over the past two decades.
Thank you!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals