BANNED: Incandescent And Halogen Light Bulbs

Logan-

***Phase-out of incandescent light bulbs - Wikipedia

***Europe to ban halogen lightbulbs
EU halogen light bulb ban: everything you need to know – Which? News
When does the halogen lightbulb ban start and why is it happening?

I use them (incandescent light bulbs) for keeping my area warm, instead of centrally heating the house. My view of the energy saving light bulbs is that putting a cork in the plug saves more energy (and doesn't contain mercury). – Ray Peat
Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

edd00

ok so what do we do we do now??
How can we get the light that we need?

cyclops

Are LED lights always bad? I just got a light fixture that will only use LED or florescent lights. I know florescent is bad, but are LED always bad as well?

OP
L

Logan-

Are LED lights always bad? I just got a light fixture that will only use LED or florescent lights. I know florescent is bad, but are LED always bad as well?

LED Light Therapy

LED's have been getting better, probably because the old ones had such poor CRI scores and looked odd. I think incandescents and halogens both have CRI scores at 100. This is hugely important for the aesthetics of a room (at least for myself). Even if the spectral curve is not necessarily optimal, I will put "high" CRI LED bulbs in the rooms of my house that I tend not to stay in for very long. Bathroom, laundry room, etc. In rooms I spend more time in I put 500w incandescents up for the winter. It's looks very nice and makes it appear like the sun is shining in through the window even though it's grey and dreary outside. I estimate it costs about $30 a month per bulb, so it's not exactly cheap, but one reason is because we are always home (I work from home, as does my wife and my kids are homeschooled...) For myself it's worth the money.

This is a decent LED for occasional rooms, though it is only 1100 lumens so you would probably want several in the room (I like bright rooms).

Here is the spectral curve. Still has a blue peak, but has some nice orange and red in there! I should put like 30 of these in my shop. Might be a reasonable compromise between electricity costs and health... ooooor I could put like 8 of these in :cool

View attachment 11264

haidut

Forum Supporter
***Phase-out of incandescent light bulbs - Wikipedia

***Europe to ban halogen lightbulbs
EU halogen light bulb ban: everything you need to know – Which? News
When does the halogen lightbulb ban start and why is it happening?

I use them (incandescent light bulbs) for keeping my area warm, instead of centrally heating the house. My view of the energy saving light bulbs is that putting a cork in the plug saves more energy (and doesn't contain mercury). – Ray Peat
Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

What does he mean by "putting a cork in the plug"?

cyclops

OP
L

Logan-

"This is a decent LED for occasional rooms, though it is only 1100 lumens so you would probably want several in the room (I like bright rooms)."

What makes these lights better then most LED's? I googled them, and these amazon lights came up, which seem to have a similar description. Do you know if they have the same benefits? They are much cheaper:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...628594&sr=8-3&keywords=75+watt+led+equivalent

I think the reason @schultz likes them is described in the description section of that page:

Description
Enjoy a more reliable and longer-lasting light by replacing 75-Watt incandescents with the 90+ Lighting A21 LED bulb. With a high color rendering index (CRI) of 93, this LED bulb emits a color matched for incandescent bulbs that displays the natural and radiant colors of a room.
LED - A21 - 14W - 75W Equal - 90+ Lighting SE-350.051

A color rendering index (CRI) is a quantitative measure of the ability of a light source to reveal the colors of various objects faithfully in comparison with an ideal or natural light source. Light sources with a high CRI are desirable in color-critical applications such as neonatal care and art restoration. It is defined by the International Commission on Illumination (CIE) as follows:

Color rendering: Effect of an illuminant on the color appearance of objects by conscious or subconscious comparison with their color appearance under a reference illuminant[1]

The CRI of a light source does not indicate the apparent color of the light source; that information is given by the correlated color temperature (CCT). The CRI is determined by the light source's spectrum. An incandescent lamp has a continuous spectrum, a fluorescent lamp has a discrete line spectrum; the incandescent lamp has the higher CRI.

The value often quoted as "CRI" on commercially available lighting products is properly called the CIE Ra value, "CRI" being a general term and CIE Ra being the international standard color rendering index.

Numerically, the highest possible CIE Ra value is 100 and would only be given to a source identical to standardized daylight or a black body (incandescent lamps are effectively black bodies), dropping to negative values for some light sources. Low-pressure sodium lighting has negative CRI; fluorescent lights range from about 50 for the basic types, up to about 98 for the best multi-phosphor type. Typical LEDs have about 80+ CRI, while some manufacturers claim that their LEDs have achieved up to 98 CRI.[2]
Color rendering index - Wikipedia

Last edited:

rei

How much IR and red light does a raging fireplace put off?
Except the sun i believe it is the best kind of radiation you can receive. I have recently installed a full glass window in my fireplace, and subsequently realized that by getting naked in front of it and rotating was amazing IR therapy. 10-15 minutes would have you pouring sweat on the floor. A completely different world of experience than sitting in front of a 500w halogen light, which i found useless.

bistecca

Except the sun i believe it is the best kind of radiation you can receive. I have recently installed a full glass window in my fireplace, and subsequently realized that by getting naked in front of it and rotating was amazing IR therapy. 10-15 minutes would have you pouring sweat on the floor. A completely different world of experience than sitting in front of a 500w halogen light, which i found useless.
I've always felt a deep intrinsic sort of satisfaction and relaxation from being in front of a big fire, and it's nice to have a tentative explanation for why it felt that way.

cyclops

I think the reason @schultz likes them is described in the description section of that page:

Description
Enjoy a more reliable and longer-lasting light by replacing 75-Watt incandescents with the 90+ Lighting A21 LED bulb. With a high color rendering index (CRI) of 93, this LED bulb emits a color matched for incandescent bulbs that displays the natural and radiant colors of a room.
LED - A21 - 14W - 75W Equal - 90+ Lighting SE-350.051

A color rendering index (CRI) is a quantitative measure of the ability of a light source to reveal the colors of various objects faithfully in comparison with an ideal or natural light source. Light sources with a high CRI are desirable in color-critical applications such as neonatal care and art restoration. It is defined by the International Commission on Illumination (CIE) as follows:

Color rendering: Effect of an illuminant on the color appearance of objects by conscious or subconscious comparison with their color appearance under a reference illuminant[1]

The CRI of a light source does not indicate the apparent color of the light source; that information is given by the correlated color temperature (CCT). The CRI is determined by the light source's spectrum. An incandescent lamp has a continuous spectrum, a fluorescent lamp has a discrete line spectrum; the incandescent lamp has the higher CRI.

The value often quoted as "CRI" on commercially available lighting products is properly called the CIE Ra value, "CRI" being a general term and CIE Ra being the international standard color rendering index.

Numerically, the highest possible CIE Ra value is 100 and would only be given to a source identical to standardized daylight or a black body (incandescent lamps are effectively black bodies), dropping to negative values for some light sources. Low-pressure sodium lighting has negative CRI; fluorescent lights range from about 50 for the basic types, up to about 98 for the best multi-phosphor type. Typical LEDs have about 80+ CRI, while some manufacturers claim that their LEDs have achieved up to 98 CRI.[2]
Color rendering index - Wikipedia

Very informative and helpful. Thank you.

cyclops

I bought some 90+ CRI light bulbs at Home Depot, but they seem kind of blue, rather then red. Maybe they are too bright. The back of the box says they are 5000k a more towards the "cool" side of the spectrum. I think I will return them for something more on the "warm" side. I got these because they were they brightest they had at 100w and 1600 lumens and said "Daylight." I figured the daylight was closest to natural light.

Inaut

Really good suggestion.. I wish I had a fireplace I could get naked in front of...... :(

OP
L

Logan-

I bought some 90+ CRI light bulbs at Home Depot, but they seem kind of blue, rather then red. Maybe they are too bright. The back of the box says they are 5000k a more towards the "cool" side of the spectrum. I think I will return them for something more on the "warm" side. I got these because they were they brightest they had at 100w and 1600 lumens and said "Daylight." I figured the daylight was closest to natural light.

I think returning them is a good idea. 5000 Kelvin is high in blue light. You might get better results with incandescent or halogen light bulbs. I use incandescent bulbs in my house.

cyclops

I think returning them is a good idea. 5000 Kelvin is high in blue light. You might get better results with incandescent or halogen light bulbs. I use incandescent bulbs in my house.

Problem is my light only takes LEDs. I am trying to figure out what the most Peaty LED would be.

rei

Deep red LED:s. 660nm or more. At distant second place is warm white ~2400 kelvin ones.

bistecca

I would be leery about LED's because there is some evidence they emit microwave and other non-ionizing forms of radiation. Seems to be a good bit of variation from what i've seen, but i haven't seen any research that is anywhere near comprehensive.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals