What To Look For When Buying Incandescent Bulbs?

Gametime

Hey everyone, looking for the next best bulb that is opposite to blue light which disrupts the circadian rhythm, I saw that incandescent bulbs are good for general around the house daily use, I was originally going to go for red bulb but I don't like the light they give off.. are incandescent something that won't disrupt circadian Rhythm and cause sleep issues and would be suitable for night time bed side reading? I plan to use them in ceiling light, bedside light etc for probably prolonged periods of time.. is there anything to look for when buying them? I don't think I can go more than 40W: also in the UK!

Is this one okay? Or does anyone have any suggestions in the UK, would appreciate it so much been trying to find a suitable one for ages?:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Luohaoshi-...sr=8-1-spons&keywords=incandescent+bulb&psc=1

or https://www.amazon.co.uk/10-Classic...514491805&ref=plSrch&ref_=mp_s_a_1_10&sr=8-10

ddjd

I bought a load last year from eBay UK. So cheap. Clear bulb. 150w. Incandescent. They work a charm.

biggirlkisss

yes I fall alseep with 1500 watt of incandescent if you can find 130volt they are better they run at 120volt thicker fliment uses less heat which produces more red and orange less blue then regular 120volt incandescent

TheDrumGuy

You want higher operating voltage and lower color temperature. Peat recommends 130 volts and 2700K color temperature. The general view on this forum is that it's ok to use this kind of bulb all day. I believe Peat recommends the model Bulbrite 250BR40H

biggirlkisss

or you can buy a 130 volt bulb 500 watt and dim it to 250 watt to give it a warmer temperature or lower kevlin but you need a e39 to 326 mogui converter for 500 watt bulbs.

x-ray peat

I'm not sure if I can go over 40w with the lamps I have ?
That is way too low and probably designed for a small led light, which are pretty unhealthy. I would get some table lamps that can handle at least 150 w bulbs. May need to order on line. I think Ray recommends 3 250 w 130 v lights. To use that you need a special fixture that has a large ceramic base and in the UK you obviously cant use 130v but want 220 to 240v.

Last edited:

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
Hey everyone, looking for the next best bulb that is opposite to blue light which disrupts the circadian rhythm, I saw that incandescent bulbs are good for general around the house daily use, I was originally going to go for red bulb but I don't like the light they give off.. are incandescent something that won't disrupt circadian Rhythm and cause sleep issues and would be suitable for night time bed side reading? I plan to use them in ceiling light, bedside light etc for probably prolonged periods of time.. is there anything to look for when buying them? I don't think I can go more than 40W: also in the UK!

Is this one okay? Or does anyone have any suggestions in the UK, would appreciate it so much been trying to find a suitable one for ages?:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Luohaoshi-...sr=8-1-spons&keywords=incandescent+bulb&psc=1

or https://www.amazon.co.uk/10-Classic-Globes-Clear-Incandescent/dp/B0082ZZ6NG/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&dpID=31juieXMizL&dpPl=1&keywords=incandescent light bulb&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&qid=1514491805&ref=plSrch&ref_=mp_s_a_1_10&sr=8-10

Incandescent light bulbs are the best healthy choice for general home lighting, they emit about 10% visible light mostly in the warmer red spectrums and 90% infrared light.

The first link you have is for a incandescent equivalent, its actual a LED light bulb. The second link is a true incandescent bulb and will work fine you just have match bases with the type of lamp you have.

40 or 60 watts is good and normal for bedside or desk lighting, 60 to 100 watts is generally used for ceiling lights.

The high watt bulbs others are talking about and recommend by Ray are for light therapy not for general lighting.

Frosted incandescent bulbs will be a softer light then clear, and pink incandescent light bulbs create a very nice warm light excellent for bedside and relaxing in the evening.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Osram-Drop-Bulb-Bella-40-T45/dp/B0016PR6V4

Happy New Year!!

Last edited:
OP
G

Gametime

Incandescent light bulbs are the best healthy choice for general home lighting, they emit about 10% visible light mostly in the warmer red spectrums and 90% infrared light.

The first link you have is for a incandescent equivalent, its actual a LED light bulb. The second link is a true incandescent bulb and will work fine you just have match bases with the type of lamp you have.

40 or 60 watts is good and normal for bedside or desk lighting, 60 to 100 watts is generally used for ceiling lights.

The high watt bulbs others are talking about and recommend by Ray are for light therapy not for general lighting.

Frosted incandescent bulbs will be a softer light then clear, and pink incandescent light bulbs create a very nice warm light excellent for bedside and relaxing in the evening.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Osram-Drop-Bulb-Bella-40-T45/dp/B0016PR6V4

Happy New Year!!
Oh thanks so much Daniel, I was getting confused with all the first replies as I had because it wa s just for general home use not light therapy ! Thanks and happy new year man

ddjd

yes I fall alseep with 1500 watt of incandescent if you can find 130volt they are better they run at 120volt thicker fliment uses less heat which produces more red and orange less blue then regular 120volt incandescent
1500 watt?? Nice electricity bill

OP
G

Gametime

That is way too low and probably designed for a small led light, which are pretty unhealthy. I would get some table lamps that can handle at least 150 w bulbs. May need to order on line. I think Ray recommends 3 250 w 130 v lights. To use that you need a special fixture that has a large ceramic base and in the UK you obviously cant use 130v but want 220 to 240v.
I know Ray recommends the higher watts but that's for light therapy, which I'm not going for

biggirlkisss

where I live electrolytic is cheapest it cost me to run 12 hours a day for a month 30 dollars but the price is going to double in the next couple years i dunno if solar enegery may be a option. a 300 watt led chip will do what a 1500 light bulb does in lumens

OP
G

Gametime

Attachments

• IMG_2816.PNG
    IMG_2816.PNG
    41.2 KB · Views: 62

biggirlkisss

you meant as well get 2700k warm white leds and go to 20 watt. a 20 watt 2700k led will do what a 100 watt incandescent does in lumens. Try to find a led with as high cri as possibel 80 or above.

x-ray peat

FYI the bulb in the link has a smaller socket typically for a chandelier. not sure if thats what you want

also I know you just want it for regular lighting but a 25w incandescent would be way too dark for me. At a min I would go 100w for ceiling and 60 -75w for lamp. You would be amazed at how nice a bright room is during the dreary winter.

I hate to contradict my friend above but white LEDs give off a very unnatural light and are very unhealthy for a number of reasons.
You Likely Use These Eye-Destroying Light Bulbs Not Realizing They're Linked to Blindness?
"Story at-a-glance
  • Near-infrared is important as it primes the cells in your retina for repair and regeneration, which explains why LEDs — which is devoid of infrared — are so harmful for your eyes and health
  • One-third of the energy your body consumes comes from the food you eat. The vast majority of the energy your body needs to maintain the systemic equilibrium comes from environmental infrared light exposure
  • LEDs sabotage health and promote blindness. Limit your exposure to blue light during the daytime and at night. Swap out LEDs for incandescents or low-voltage incandescent halogen lights"
On the other hand it looks like you are getting two orange and red coated incandescent bulbs. If you plan on getting into red light therapy these are not typically used. They may work, I dont know, but typically here you would use a single wavelength led light.

Last edited:

biggirlkisss

I have used a spectroscope on 2700k led bulbs and the spectrum was good. It depends on the led bulb by manufacturer you need to look at spec sheet. Leds go up from 620nm and then go down from 670nm incandescent are opposite. 60 watt 130 volt bulbs incandescent are still out there and if your paranoid a option.

x-ray peat

I have used a spectroscope on 2700k led bulbs and the spectrum was good. It depends on the led bulb by manufacturer you need to look at spec sheet. Leds go up from 620nm and then go down from 670nm incandescent are opposite. 60 watt 130 volt bulbs incandescent are still out there and if your paranoid a option.
Have a listen to the interview with Dr Alexander Wunsch in the article I posted. The problem with all white LEDs is that they not only have a spike of blue light but they also have very little red and almost no infrared. An incandescent is majority red and infrared red which are highly protective against the blue light as well as healing to our bodies. He speaks of a new wave of blindness that will effect people as we use more and more leds.

incandescent
Incandescent-spd-and-cri_1-600x434.jpg

vs high CRI light (TrueWhite 93 CRI)
Cree-TW-60W-more-than20min-600x306.jpg

Ron J

where I live electrolytic is cheapest it cost me to run 12 hours a day for a month 30 dollars but the price is going to double in the next couple years i dunno if solar enegery may be a option. a 300 watt led chip will do what a 1500 light bulb does in lumens
Got a link for an led that you recommend?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom