Donald Trump Defends Bringing Back ‘Better’ Incandescent Light Bulbs

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
“They were forcing you to buy lightbulbs that cost a fortune, so I signed something a couple of days ago that gives you the right to use the incandescent light,” he said. “Much less expensive.” :dance

“I’m not a vain person … but I look better under an incandescent light than these crazy lights that are beaming down on me,” he said. :rolling

Source:
Donald Trump Defends Bringing Back 'Better' Incandescent Light Bulbs

OrangeJuice

Actually, LED light is point source while incandescent non-point-source specific light which means old incandescent are better on your eyes. The light is coming from such focused source as LED. Laser light is point source specific light. Think about that. LED Light is not good for our retinas.

yerrag

I'm happy with lower bills using LED lamps these days. And LED lamps have come down in price so much. They're about 10% their cost 10 years ago. A 5w LED has about as much lumens as a 18w CFL, and cost as much as a 13w CFL then, at around $2 - 2.50 per lamp. They're as bright as a 100w incandescent.

It doesn't make sense to use an incandescent, except if you really are after the high CRI index, which is a measure of how well it conforms to natural sunlight. The higher the CRI index, the more it conforms to the spectrum of sunlight, which you can also equate to its health-promoting properties.

Not many consumers care about the CRI index, and so manufacturers and their distributors don't care to give this information, and so the general quality of their offering vary in terms of CRI quality.

Since incandescents have better CRI quality, but cost more to use, it isn't right to deprive us the choice. The incandescent bulbs may not be the preferred choice for most people because it uses much more power, but they don't need to be banned. It has a place. It can't be considered a waste as it has health-promoting properties.

I'm glad though that fluorescent lighting is on its way out. They use mercury and the flicker it generates subtracts from our health.

There's really no need to ban incandescents. If it's not efficient and the economics of its use. cannot. be justified, it will just die a natural death. A law banning it is just superfluous.

Last edited:
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
There's really no need to ban incandescents. If it's not efficient and the economics of its use. cannot. be justified, it will just die a natural death. A law banning it is just superfluous.
Exactly. Let the people be free and decide for themselves. This is what this thread is about.

yerrag

It's one less regulation. Unshackled!

rei

While i applaud the removal of yet another insane law, the truth is that unless you have extremely cheap electricity which you cannot sell there really is no use for incandescent bulbs. Modern white LEDs can achieve a good color rendering for normal lighting, and red LEDs can give you the therapeutic effect with an order of magnitude less energy consumed.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Literally

Banning the incandescents makes especially little sense in cold climates... where I am there are 6 months where the bulbs can be considered 100% efficient because the energy they give off as heat (about half) is wanted.

Most of the CFLs and LEDs use "bright white" lights that in fact have an unnatural amount of blue frequencies, and the disruption of circadian rhythms has been a documented result. GE makes a bulb designed not to do this without being overly reddish. You can also just use red LED's for some purposes.

Fewer people know about what seemed to me like maybe credible claims that some of the new lighting modalities increasing risk for loss of eyesight after many years.

abruzzi

I'm happy with lower bills using LED lamps these days. And LED lamps have come down in price so much. They're about 10% their cost 10 years ago. A 5w LED has about as much lumens as a 18w CFL, and cost as much as a 13w CFL then, at around $2 - 2.50 per lamp. They're as bright as a 100w incandescent.

It doesn't make sense to use an incandescent, except if you really are after the high CRI index, which is a measure of how well it conforms to natural sunlight. The higher the CRI index, the more it conforms to the spectrum of sunlight, which you can also equate to its health-promoting properties.

Not many consumers care about the CRI index, and so manufacturers and their distributors don't care to give this information, and so the general quality of their offering vary in terms of CRI quality.

Since incandescents have better CRI quality, but cost more to use, it isn't right to deprive us the choice. The incandescent bulbs may not be the preferred choice for most people because it uses much more power, but they don't need to be banned. It has a place. It can't be considered a waste as it has health-promoting properties.

I'm glad though that fluorescent lighting is on its way out. They use mercury and the flicker it generates subtracts from our health.

I believe the president also mentioned disposal issues and how the vast majority of people just throw them into the garbage instead of disposing of them properly.

What if Trump reads Jack Kruse?

InChristAlone

I wish the LEDs would be mostly soft yellow like incandescents, but most of the time people just buy the white and they look ridiculously blue. In our neighborhood you have to keep a lamppost lit at night and most people use the 45w incandescents, but some are using the LEDs and it looks terrible at night! Super super hard on the eyes at night.

I'm using some light bulbs that are LED, but have a orange-ish filter. My head doesn't hurt when I'm using those. But they aren't as orange as incandescent bulbs, sadly.

tankasnowgod

While i applaud the removal of yet another insane law, the truth is that unless you have extremely cheap electricity which you cannot sell there really is no use for incandescent bulbs. Modern white LEDs can achieve a good color rendering for normal lighting, and red LEDs can give you the therapeutic effect with an order of magnitude less energy consumed.

I tend to agree with this, but I have heard about newer "energy efficient incandesents." This may be my light of choice in the near future....

All Hail The New Incandescent Light Bulb, Efficient As An LED Bulb

mipp

Agree. Wnen EU banned incandescends ten years ago it was much too early as there was no good replacement at that time. The ban is still stupid and unnecessary but now at least we have affordable LEDs that imitate incandescent light quite well. I'm pleased with the "filament" type LED bulbs I bought recently. Cheap, nice yellow color and light distribution very much like the real thing. CRI must be decent too. with CFLs certain colors looked weird, with recent LEDs I can't really tell the difference. And they use 1/10 power. I still have a bunch of incandescents that I'll probably never use again.

InChristAlone

Again might be cool for people to save some money if they buy the same spectrum of light that incandescent produce about 3,000 kelvin but most people are buying the cool white which are ridiculously blue. Consumers need to be educated. The last apartment I lived in also used outdoor LEDs that were blueish looking.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals