Donald Trump Defends Bringing Back ‘Better’ Incandescent Light Bulbs

Discussion in 'Breaking News' started by charlie, Sep 10, 2019.

1. charlie

charlie The Law & Order Admin

“They were forcing you to buy lightbulbs that cost a fortune, so I signed something a couple of days ago that gives you the right to use the incandescent light,” he said. “Much less expensive.” :dance

“I’m not a vain person … but I look better under an incandescent light than these crazy lights that are beaming down on me,” he said. :rolling

Source:
    Donald Trump Defends Bringing Back 'Better' Incandescent Light Bulbs

2. OrangeJuice

OrangeJuice Member

Actually, LED light is point source while incandescent non-point-source specific light which means old incandescent are better on your eyes. The light is coming from such focused source as LED. Laser light is point source specific light. Think about that. LED Light is not good for our retinas.

3. yerrag

yerrag Member

I'm happy with lower bills using LED lamps these days. And LED lamps have come down in price so much. They're about 10% their cost 10 years ago. A 5w LED has about as much lumens as a 18w CFL, and cost as much as a 13w CFL then, at around $2 - 2.50 per lamp. They're as bright as a 100w incandescent.

It doesn't make sense to use an incandescent, except if you really are after the high CRI index, which is a measure of how well it conforms to natural sunlight. The higher the CRI index, the more it conforms to the spectrum of sunlight, which you can also equate to its health-promoting properties.

Not many consumers care about the CRI index, and so manufacturers and their distributors don't care to give this information, and so the general quality of their offering vary in terms of CRI quality.

Since incandescents have better CRI quality, but cost more to use, it isn't right to deprive us the choice. The incandescent bulbs may not be the preferred choice for most people because it uses much more power, but they don't need to be banned. It has a place. It can't be considered a waste as it has health-promoting properties.

I'm glad though that fluorescent lighting is on its way out. They use mercury and the flicker it generates subtracts from our health.

There's really no need to ban incandescents. If it's not efficient and the economics of its use. cannot. be justified, it will just die a natural death. A law banning it is just superfluous.

4. OP
    charlie

Exactly. Let the people be free and decide for themselves. This is what this thread is about.

5. yerrag

yerrag Member

It's one less regulation. Unshackled!

6. rei

rei Member

While i applaud the removal of yet another insane law, the truth is that unless you have extremely cheap electricity which you cannot sell there really is no use for incandescent bulbs. Modern white LEDs can achieve a good color rendering for normal lighting, and red LEDs can give you the therapeutic effect with an order of magnitude less energy consumed.

7. OP
    charlie

Amen brother. Release from captivity.

8. Literally

Literally Member

Banning the incandescents makes especially little sense in cold climates... where I am there are 6 months where the bulbs can be considered 100% efficient because the energy they give off as heat (about half) is wanted.

Most of the CFLs and LEDs use "bright white" lights that in fact have an unnatural amount of blue frequencies, and the disruption of circadian rhythms has been a documented result. GE makes a bulb designed not to do this without being overly reddish. You can also just use red LED's for some purposes.

Fewer people know about what seemed to me like maybe credible claims that some of the new lighting modalities increasing risk for loss of eyesight after many years.

9. Lynne

Lynne Member

Vote Trump! lol :lightbulb:

10. abruzzi

abruzzi Member

I believe the president also mentioned disposal issues and how the vast majority of people just throw them into the garbage instead of disposing of them properly.

11. ecstatichamster

ecstatichamster Member

I like the Tesla bulbs. They are efficient and continuous spectrum mostly away from blue.

12. methylenewhite

methylenewhite Member

What if Trump reads Jack Kruse?