Good quality LED is much healthier light source than incandescent / halogen bulb

V

valdz

I have measured a lot of screens, too!

The flicker and blue light really seems to be correlated to price of the device.

The best by far was Bravia LED TV. I wasn't able to detect any flicker at all. It was better than all the light bulbs I have tested. You can also adjust color temperature / balance on this TV, and when you set it to "Warm", it produce very little blue light.

I have two HP laptops. One very expensive mobile workstation, one ultra low-end budget laptop. The expensive one has no flicker when powered by battery, and very little flicker when powered by AC adapter. The cheap one was by far the worst thing I have measured, both flicker-wise and by the amount of blue light.

I will not use the cheap one again.

Good to know about TVs and screen monitors. I wish I could borrow a meter to measure around my house and work. I stare at monitors all day for work and that's why I always wear my daytime blueblockers and orange tinted ones for the evening. During the day I keep the fluorescent lights on the ceiling off at my work office.. Last yr I bought a high power reptile LED bulb for body use but I heard that it gives off so much flicker so I stopped. The light adapter plug has no ground so I'm reluctant to using it again.

Makrosky

Red leds are okay but I don’t enjoy led lighting and there is evidence that it is harmful.
Hey! Why is it harmful? You mean just because of the wavelength or something else?

And what about using those LED bulbs for indoor growing (philips has them) on flowering period? They are mimmicking the sun, otherwise plants won't flower. That should be quite good no?

Lollipop2

Hey! Why is it harmful? You mean just because of the wavelength or something else?

And what about using those LED bulbs for indoor growing (philips has them) on flowering period? They are mimmicking the sun, otherwise plants won't flower. That should be quite good no?

Interesting idea. Anyone know!

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

My experience with bulbs for indoor growing is that manufacturers generally doesn't care about their flicker at all. Plants don't mind.

But haven't tested high end brands like Philips. Might be okay, but I would be very cautious.

Makrosky

My experience with bulbs for indoor growing is that manufacturers generally doesn't care about their flicker at all. Plants don't mind.

But haven't tested high end brands like Philips. Might be okay, but I would be very cautious.
So you are saying you prefer a worse spectrum but lower flickering?

Philips nornally has all technical details in PDF for all their professional bulbs.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

So you are saying you prefer a worse spectrum but lower flickering?

Philips nornally has all technical details in PDF for all their professional bulbs.
They don't have better spectrum, though.

Philips flowering bulbs:
Flowering_LED2.jpg

2700k warm white LED:
w3.png

You want the spectrum to be as close to evening sunlight as possible. Narrow band lights are super unnatural and not suitable for general use, IMO.

Makrosky

They don't have better spectrum, though.

Philips flowering bulbs:
View attachment 26675

2700k warm white LED:
View attachment 26676
You want the spectrum to be as close to evening sunlight as possible. Narrow band lights are super unnatural and not suitable for general use, IMO.
Wow! Thanks a lot mate! You really became knowledgeable on this.

Yes I am going to buy some of these 2700k LEDs for the evenings.

Now I'd like to find some for day because we have here many months with very little sun. Any suggestions?

Makrosky

Now I'd like to find some for day because we have here many months with very little sun. Any suggestions?
Hey @BearWithMe would you mind sharing the exact IKEA code for those 2700k LEDs with low flickering?

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Move to better place. No artificial light can replace natural sunlight. Your mood and overall health will improve tremendously.

And yes, you can move, unless you live in totalitarian country like North Korea (and even if you do, you can probably find a way to escape).

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

If I would absolutely have to use artificial light instead of natural sunlight, I'd probably use DC powered halogen bulb with UV filter removed.

Makrosky

Move to better place. No artificial light can replace natural sunlight. Your mood and overall health will improve tremendously.

And yes, you can move, unless you live in totalitarian country like North Korea (and even if you do, you can probably find a way to escape).
I know man. I know... But right now I have to be here.

Makrosky

If I would absolutely have to use artificial light instead of natural sunlight, I'd probably use DC powered halogen bulb with UV filter removed.
Something simpler? Would the same LEDs but 6000k work for daytime?

Waynish

I think the opposite. Listen to the dirty electricity from any LED-based tech. Analogue tech like passing electricity through something like tungsten and emitting heat is a lot more fool proof. Just think about how they're "saving electricity" - I want more electricity converted into & absorbed in the form of energy ;)

What happened to direct experience? Most people are so stuck in their heads they do not know what good food tastes like. Now this is another level to me... Everyone I've met with zero education on these topics intuitively feels better immediately from incandescent vs LED lights. Now there are more refined LEDs with more natural color temperatures, but the effect is still there if you are keen.

Makrosky

I think the opposite. Listen to the dirty electricity from any LED-based tech. Analogue tech like passing electricity through something like tungsten and emitting heat is a lot more fool proof. Just think about how they're "saving electricity" - I want more electricity converted into & absorbed in the form of energy ;)
But dirty electricity is only a concern if you are close to the wires/bulb/socket no? And you should be always away from those anyway.

Makrosky

I knew you are going to say that.

No, you don't.

What you really can't do is spend your life in poor health.
It is not life. It is 1 more year max (unless covid situation gets out of control). It just takes some patience.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom