Introducing the Light Bulb Database!

AspiringSage

That’s a good question, yes I am from the US, I haven’t tested any of these lights on a 220/240V AC supply.

My guess is that the lights that have a very obvious 120hz waveform would simply adapt to a 240hz waveform (which is definitely better) and any lights that have higher frequency modulation patterns would retain that quality.
230v in Australia is a distinct system vs American 240v. Most international 230v/50hz is delivered as a single phase whereas American 240v/60hz is delivered as two legs. Which are sort of quisi phases (120 degrees out of phase) from a center tapped transformer. The voltage of each leg is 120v to neutral, but 240v between legs because they are opposed in effective phase angle. The term Edison split system or Edison split circuit might be useful for researching this system.

In theory, the Edison split system was safer because someone touching an exposed plug blade is likely to only touch a single leg. So, most people claiming to have been shocked by 240v in the US likely only got tagged by a single leg of 120v. In practice, it really makes little safety difference given modern arc fault/ground fault breakers used in recent construction; but, I digress.

So, American residential 240v generally has two opposed angle 60hz cycles (effectively the powered device sort of sees 120hz) whereas a device powered on Australian 230v sees a single 50hz wave form. The point I am obtusely driving at is that is that I would expect to see a base (for lack of a better term) 50hz/100hz flicker rate in devices powered with Australian residential current. There isn’t a second leg to add an inverse wave form. And a 120hz/240hz flicker rate on the light output side of some American 240v devices. Where there is a second opposed wave form to add flicker.

I think it’s gonna get a lot more complex than that in practice, though. Incandescents, LEDs, high frequency switching florescent ballast, magnetic florescent ballasts, etc and various wiring schemes are all going to have different flicker outputs that are some derivative of the base supply hz. Would be interested to see observed results from various luminaries. But be careful attempting to wire up international 230v devices on Edison split American 240v circuits. Some will play nice, some won’t.

Incidentally, there are specialized hardwired transformers to produce true 230v to neutral current from American 120/240 split circuits. I installed one years ago for a client who wanted to use a few european appliances in his kitchen. Also had to use American spec outlets (NEMA 6-20R) that carried a 250v rating with 6-20P to IEC-320 device cords.

Last edited:

amd

Philips bulbs are not as bright as other brands, they seem better engineered with more glass, less plastic, less watts for the same stated lumens, they just don't look as bright.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals