Best Brands Of Coconut Oil

treelady

I noticed when shopping recently that some of the jars of coconut oil had dark stuff at the bottom. I found this on the internet which may be helpful. Also Ray Peat says he uses refined coconut oil. I have found the unrefined gives me diarrhea.

Signs of Rancid Coconut Oil:
1. Yellow in color when liquid
2. Blotchy, or a non-smooth consistency
3. It tastes and smells bad, like stale or bitter
4. Speckles/particles at the bottom of the jar can be mold developing.

treelady

OK...sorry. Thank you Amazoniac. I just got that from somewhere I don't remember where. Anyway I saw dark in the bottom the jars at the store and that didn't seem right.

lindsay

My favorite brand of coconut oil (and I think it's a well-reputed brand) for all cooking is the Tropical Traditions refined Coconut oil - it's tasteless and great as an all purpose oil. You can use it as a moisturizer too. The gallon size lasts a long time and doesn't go rancid. I think it has like a two year shelf life, but it never lasts that long in our house.

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/pure-coconut-oil.htm

Of all the virgin coconut oils I've tried, Nutiva is definitely the tastiest and I prefer it to any other for it's coconut goodness - goes really nicely on the carrot salad with a little bit of honey and salt. I stopped eating the carrot salad when my Nutiva supply ran out and it was no longer on sale at Wholefoods:

https://store.nutiva.com/coconut-oil/

Peatri Dish

I buy Nutiva directly from the manufacturer. It's never given my any trouble and tastes yummy. I've been getting it since 2010 by the gallon. (Back then it was $29, now it's $69) Only thing is it's in plastic as soon as it comes in I move it out of plastic and into mason jars. Pretty soon we won't be able to buy anything that's not in plastic

tara

The refined stuff is often RBD - refined, bleached, deodorised. That's what I usually use. Smell and taste very mild, uniform, white. Yellow might just mean not bleached. Though the virgin oil I've bought has been pretty white too.

Amazoniac

I won't give you my opinion on the brands: it won't matter for most due to where I live. But I prefer unrefined because adding more processes to the oil can be damaging and unnecessary. Also, this further processing can remove some unknown benefits. A lot of people choose to buy refined due to the lack of the characteristic taste and potential allergens. Since I really enjoy the taste and never had any negative experience I choose unrefined.

Jenn

All RBD coconut oil is the same, brand is irrelevant...what ever you can get at a good price. Don't pay more for a label. All virgin oil is the same (no such thing as extra virgin coconut oil.) Again, don't pay more for a label. The only exception is TT which ferments the oil and it does change the flavor and Peat is not a fan of fermenting things, but it's going to be better than canola oil for you. ;)

Everyone is different. Personally, I use the virgin on my skin and in specific food application where I want the flavor of coconut. I use RBD for everything else. Some people do have allergic reactions to the virgin oil and some people have reactions to the RBD. Use what works for you. :)

Dutchie

The best brand over here qualitywise,in genral,is Aman Prana.....but it's also the most expensive. (I know,I know,it's the quality you pay for. It's actually one of the few brands that imho is worth paying the money for).

Most of the time I buy the CO from Royal Greens or Rapunzel,both are good too imho. It's just that Aman Prana is like the Roll's Royce amongst the CO.;)

They all tend to come from Sri Lanka in my experience.

marcar72

I like Spectrum brand Expeller Pressed Organic Coconut Oil myself. It's not hydrogenated and non GMO as well. They have refined and unrefined, I usually get refined since it's got a higher smoke point. I usually cook with it but sometimes take a tablespoon by itself. It's pretty affordable and seems to have good market share. :2cents

EDIT: Sold in glass jars, not plastic too...

OP
Velve921

Velve921

What does everyone think of Dr. browner' from whole foods?

If anyone can locate a quality hydrogenated source, Ray Peat would like to know as well as many here I think.

Raypmom

Such_Saturation said:
They all tend to come from Sri Lanka in my experience.

I've heard they come from Philippines from copra coconuts. From what I read around the Peat community its best to use RBD for cooking, peat recommends only 76 oil for cooking (high heat) other types have low smoke.

Some brands are more money yes, but they offer clean equipment, meaning they don't process seed oils, soy grains etc. So that minimizes reactions for those who are looking to avoid any effects. I personally wouldn't buy coconut oil from Walmart, I just don't trust the equpiment. Now everybody wants to sell us coconut oil! including companies who process soy. But it depends how picky you are I guess.

johns74

Such_Saturation said:
If anyone can locate a quality hydrogenated source, Ray Peat would like to know as well as many here I think.

Is hydrogenated better? Since it contains less PUFA (none), wouldn't that be better?

johns74 said:
Such_Saturation said:

Is hydrogenated better? Since it contains less PUFA (none), wouldn't that be better?

Yes, barring any impurities the process might introduce.

johns74

Such_Saturation said:
Yes, barring any impurities the process might introduce.

Apparently the PUFA in hydrogenated coconut oil is converted to trans fats, not to saturated. Are trans fats bad, or are they demonized just for propaganda?

There are studies showing bad effects of coconut oil. Defenders of coconut oil claim the bad effects happened because they used hydrogenated coconut oil, instead of non-hydrogenated coconut oil.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals