Coconut Oil Heavy Diet

jaywills

We all know the virtues of coconut oil, as outlined in Dr Peat's article.
I would like to hypothesize; specifically on its established effects of raising body temps and its anti-fungal properties.

For those of us who are hypothyroid, endure low temps that are difficult to raise, have poor digestion, serotonin dominance, would a practical approach be upping Coconut Oil to significantly higher doses. In a range of maybe 100g+ a day? Potentially, and in some cases, i.e slow digestion, SIBO etc - swapping out fruit and carbohydrates for Coconut Oil? Could it become a significant portion of ones energy intake?

My thinking corresponds with my poor tolerance to fruit; bloating, slow digestion, cold temps, no satiety. I find the exact opposite with more coconut oil in my diet, or as I have recently been eating - coconut meat. This being in direct proportion to a decline in fruit. Granted this is sliding the energy balance in favour of Higher-Fat, Lower-Carb.

Wider Questions:
- What is the upper limit of Coconut Oil advised? Can too much be taken in a day that causes ill-side effects (outside of being large quantities all in one dose)
- If one was to increase CO considerably, what would one not change elsewhere in the diet?
- What are the differences, and what is recommended between Refined and Organic Virgin.
- Thoughts on the KTC brand
- Effects of Coconut Oil on Steroid Synthesis and Hormones; Testosterone, DHT, Estrogen?

tara

Speculating, not based-on experience.

Coconut meat may give you more useful minerals etc than coconut oil.
If you replace fruit with coconut oil, you'd still need to get your minerals from somewhere - coconut oil is empty calories from this PoV.

Peat says some people get allergic to unrefined coconut oil (and coconut meat), and in this case refined is better. I take it that if you don't react at all badly to it, then either is fine.

Peat generally favours getting more energy from sugars than fats, for CO2 reasons as well as minerals etc. I don't see why this wouldn't apply to coconut oil too. Lots of fat can reduce sugar burning (Randle cycle).

That said, you can always experiment with more coconut oil for a few days, and see what effects you get.

Personally, I love coconut oil, and could easily eat more of it than I do, but when my energy levels are flagging, eating lots of coconut oil doesn't seem to help much. I haven't monitored temperatures along with this.

Kasra wrote:
(10/11/12) "How beneficial are coconut oil and coffee to a healthy person with a good diet?"

Ray Peat wrote:
"If the basic foods were chosen for minimal unsaturated fats, then coconut oil wouldn't add much of value. Coffee is a good source of magnesium and niacin, and has smaller amounts of other essential nutrients, besides the caffeine and antioxidants."

viewtopic.php?t=1035

X3CyO

Personally, coconut oil should be used as a supplement more than a food group; thyroid/balancing out a polyunsaturated fat ratio/ fat burning.

After making coconut oil fries, overtime ive noticed a lot of physical improvements, but when going overboard, extremeties get cold and anxiety/ a serotonin response occurs, and is near impossible to get rid of except over time.
Could also be starch perabsorption stacked ontop, but it occurs regardless of what food I eat with it.
Probably the fact that fat slows down circulation generally too.

Its the best of the least important macro in terms of a peat diet.

Ewelina

"Thyroid hormone, palmitic acid, and light activate a crucial respiratory enzyme, suppressing the formation of lactic acid. Palmitic acid occurs in coconut oit, and is formed naturally in animal tissues. Unsaturated oils have the opposite effect." RP

In theory CO should facilitate sugar burning and suppress glycolysis.

X3CyO

I think the issue lies primarily with the fact that fat in general slows down circulation, and when my extremeties are warm, I use that as code for ideal oxidative metabolism.

Thus; Coconut oil does increase sugar oxidation, but in high doses impairs my ability to tell when im in oxidative or fat burning mode.

Usually a little exercise fixes that problem though.

gilson dantas

"Coconut oil does increase sugar oxidation": I readed that.
OK, Then, I would like to understand that: Coconut oil is a fat; Fats inhibit glucose oxidation [Randle effect]; Why would coconut oil stimulate the burning of glucose? The fat of the coconut is it fat but not impacted by the Randle effect?

tara

OK, Then, I would like to understand that: Coconut oil is a fat; Fats inhibit glucose oxidation [Randle effect]; Why would coconut oil stimulate the burning of glucose? The fat of the coconut is it fat but not impacted by the Randle effect?
I think what Peat has said is that it only takes a small amount of coconut oil (eg 1 tsp) to improve glucose oxidation. It takes a larger amount of fat (esp. long chain fats), either from more fat in diet, or liberated from tissue by stress conditions, to have significant Randle cycle effect. I think this means one can eat enough coconut oil to assist metabolism while eating an overall low-fat diet. (Not that I've tried doing this.)

gilson dantas

OK @tara; so it is correct to say that:
1 - Any fat [SFA, UFA, coconut oil], in large quantities produces the Randle effect, which means, the inhibition of the oxidative burning of sugar;
2 -But coconut fat, in small quantity in relation to sugar, promotes the oxidative burning of sugar [because of its stimulating effect of the oxidative enzyme] and, to some extent, compensates the Randle effect that all kind of fat [ including coconut oil] promotes;
3 -
I can conclude:
It is a good idea include in every meal, sugar and a little coconut oil to stimulate the oxidative burning of sugar?
To eat fat without sugar is a bad idea [because we will have the Randle effect}?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals