Auditory Hallucinations Medications, Herbs, and Vitamins/Minerals

dhtsupreme

Hello everyone. I got auditory hallucinations during the pandemic and have been wondering what you guys think would help lower the voices. So far I've found many of Haiduts posts talking about lowering serotonin, nitric oxide, and ammonia for schizophrenia. But for auditory hallucinations I know it affects the NMDA receptors as well. What's your opinion about schizophrenia results in an increase in dopamine in the mesolimbic pathways for positive symptoms while there's low levels in the mesocortical area? I know how strongly you believe in serotonin being responsible and I agree. Just want to know more. Also what's yours or anyone else's opinion on TMS? @haidut

Also I was thinking of shining red light to the left temporal lobe

On a separate note I have a study that shows many herbs that have antipsychotic properties.

Medicinal Plants Used in the Management of Psychosis

Plant nameParts usedConstituents and effectsProbable mechanism of actionAuthor
Albizia zygia (DC.) J.F. Macbr. (Leguminosae)RootsThe root extract of Albizia zygia is used to manage mental disorders in African traditional medicine. Some of the phytochemical constituents are flavonoids, alkaloids, tannins and saponins. The extract exhibited an antipsychotic-like activity in mice with potential to alleviate positive, negative and cognitive symptoms of schizophrenia.The possible mechanism of action of Albizia zygia may be related to enhancement of N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptors located on inhibitory GABAergic neurons.Kumbol, et al. [50]
Alpinia zerumbetLeavesThe essential oil was extracted from the leaves of Alpinia zerumbet, the major constituents are 1,8-cineole and terpinen4-ol which may be responsible for the antipsychotic effects observed from the plant.The possible mechanism of action might be due to antioxidant effects as well as enhancing NMDA neurotransmission.de Araújoa et al. [10]
Alstonia scholaris Linn. R.Br. (Apocynaceae)LeavesAlstonia scholaris is used widely in the treatment of anxiety, depression and other mental illnesses. The plant was found to possess antipsychotic effects.Mechanism of action may be attributed to dopamine antagonism in the frontal cortical regions of the brain.Jash & Chowdary. [15]
Bacopa monniera (Linn.) (Scrophularia-ceae)Whole plantTriterpenoid, saponins, and bacosides are considered to be the major constituents in the plant. Bacopa monniera has been reported to possess antipsychotic, anxiolytic and other medicinal properties.The antipsychotic properties may be related to its normalization of dopamine and serotonergic neurotransmission and reduction of acetylcholinesterase activity.Chatterjee et al. [9]
Brassica Oleracea Var. sabellica (Brassicaceae)Leaf JuiceBrassica oleracea possess excellent phytoconstituents such as flavonoids and polyphenols and is widely used as dietary supplements. It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, and was found to possess antipsychotic properties.Brassica oleracea increase GABA levels resulting in the control of dopaminergic neurotransmission which may be its possible mechanism of action.Yadav et al. [51]
Cannabis sativa Linn. (Cannabaceae)LeavesCannabidiol one of the major constituent of Cannabis sativa leaves possesses atypical antipsychotic-like properties in humans and laboratory animals.The possible mechanism of C. sativa may be due to enhancement of NMDA receptors located on inhibitory GABAergic neurons in the limbic and subcortical brain regions.Zuardi et al. [52]
Crassocephalum bauchiense (Hutch.) Milne-Redh (Asteraceae)LeavesCrassocephalum bauchiense is a medicinal herb effective in the cases of cerebral deficit, anxiety, epilepsy, cerebral malaria, neuropathic pain, and behavioral disturbances in mentally retarded children. The plant contains alkaloid that was found to possess promising antipsychotic properties.The antipsychotic properties are possibly mediated via the GABAergic neurotransmission as well as blockade of dopamine D-2 receptorsTaıwe et al. [53]
Crinum Giganteum (Amarylli-daceae)Bulbalkaloids, saponins and tannins were found to be some of the major constituents of Crinum giganteum, the plant is used traditionally for various medicinal purposes including psychiatric illnesses. The extract of C. giganteum was found to possess antipsychotic effects in laboratory animalsThe possible mechanism of action of Crinum giganteum may be limited to dopamine D1 antagonism.Amos et al. [54]
Desmodium adscendens (Sw.) DC (Fabaceae)Whole plantThe major constituent in Desmodium adscendens is alkaloid, it is a medicinal herb with several uses including psychosis. The extract was found to possess antipsychotic effects against apomorphine induced climbing and stereotypic behavior.The possible mechanism of action may be due to dopamine receptor antagonismAmoateng et al. [13]
Embelia ribes Burm.f (Myrsinaceae)Ber-riesEmbelin was isolated from Embelia ribes and found to be responsible for the antipsychotic effect of the plant. Embelin reversed apomorphine induced stereotypic behavior, confirming its antipsychotic potential.Embelin action may be due dopamine antagonism and decreased level of neurotransmitters such as dopamine, serotonin and noradrenaline as well as antioxidant effects.Durg et al. [55]
Guiera senegalensis J. F. Gmel (Combretacea)Stem barkGuiera senegalensis is rich in tannin and known to possess varying medicinal effects. The extracts attenuated amphetamine-induced stereotyped behavior in mice suggesting that the plant possess antipsychotic properties that can be useful as a safe alternative.The effect of the extract amphetamine-induced stereotyped behavior in mice suggest anti-dopaminergic actions on the limbic systemAmos et al. [56]
Lonchocarpus cyanescens (Schumach and Thonn.) Benth. (Fabaceae)LeavesLonchocarpus cyanescens is reputed for its used in traditional medicine for the treatment of Psychosis.
Studies have shown that Lonchocarpus cyanescens contains various active principles such as quercetin, kaempferol, loncocarpin, and rhamnetin which may be responsible for its antipsychotic activity. Lonchocarpus cyanescens was found to possess antipsychotic properties.
The probable mechanism of action of Lonchocarpus cyanescens might be due to antidopaminergic effects.Arowona et al. [57]
Maytenus obtufisolia Mart. (Celastraceae)RootsTriterpenes has been identified in Maytenus obtufisolia, it is known that terpenes have pharmacological actions on animal behavior.
Findings revealed the antipsychotic effects of M. obtufisolia
The probable mechanism of action of Maytenus obtufisolia might be via a central dopaminergic actionde Sousa & de Almeida. [58]
Morinda citrifolia Linn (Rubiaceae)Fruitsscopoletin, rutin and quercetin are the major constituents of Morinda citrifolia. The plant has so many Uses for CNS disorders. The fruit juice was found to possess antipsychotic properties.The probable mechanism of antipsychotic effect of M. citrifolia extract is attributed to antidopaminergic activity.Pandy et al. [59]
Nauclea laltifolia Smith (Rubiaceae)Root barkSaponins are present in abundance in the extract and might contribute in part for the observed CNS effects. The extract demonstrated antipsychotic effects by attenuating apomorphine induced stereotypic behaviorThe effect of the extract against apomorphine is suggestive of possible interference with central dopaminergic neurotransmission.Amos et al. [60]
Newbouldia laevis Seem. (Bignoniaceae)Stem barkNewbouldia laevis is a medicinal plant used in the treatment of various ailments. The plant contains alkaloids and saponins which might be responsible for its neuroleptic effects. The extract of N. laevis was found to possess antipsychotic effects.The probable mechanism of action might be due to dopamine D1 and D2 antagonism.Amos, et al. [61]
Ocimum sanctum (Lamiaceae)LeavesOcimum sanctum have been reported for their pharmacological actions including anti-oxidant, anti-stress, and anticonvulsant. The plant contains flavonoids, essential oil, Caffeic acid and vitamins. Ocimum sanctum leaves possesses anti-psychotic like property.The Probable mechanism of action include antioxidant action and enhancement of NMDA neurotransmission as well as neuroprotection.Sharma et al. [62]
Panax quinquefolium Linn (Araliaceae)LeavesThe plant’s major compound is ginseng which is known to possess numerous pharmacological effects. Panax quinquefolium extract was effective against negative and cognitive dysfunctions induced by ketamineThe antipsychotic properties may be related to its normalization of dopamine and serotonergic neurotransmission and reduction of acetylcholinesterase activity.Chatterjee et al [14]
Picralima nitida Stampf Th. et H.Dur. (Apocynaceae)Fruitsalstonine an indole alkaloid isolated from Picralima nitida a plant commonly used by traditional psychiatrist as part of the treatment of psychosis. Alstonine was found to possess antipsychotic properties experimental profile comparable with that of clozapine and is compatible with the alleged effects in mental patients.Alstonine indirectly modulates DA receptors, specifically by modulating DA uptake, it also decreases glutamate uptake in acute hippocampal slices. Alstonine also increases serotonergic transmission and increases intraneuronal dopamine catabolism.Linck et al. [34, 35]
Piper guineense Schum & Thonn (Piperaceae)FruitsPiper guineense is a medicinal plant used in the Southern States of Nigeria to treat fever, mental disorders and febrile convulsions. β-sesquiphellandren is an essential oil isolated from the plant and was found to possess antipsychotic effects.The antipsychotic activity may be mediated through augmentation of GABA at the GABAA–benzodiazepine receptor complex pathway, or inhibition of dopamine neurotransmission at dopamine D1/D2 receptorsOyemitan et al. [63]
Polygala tenuifolia Willdenow (Polygalaceae)RootsPolygala tenuifolia Willdenow has been prescribed for hundreds of years to treat psychotic illnesses in Korean traditional medicine. Studies have found polygasaponin to be the major constituent responsible for its antipsychotic effect.polygalasaponin molecular mechanism of action is dopamine (D2) and serotonin (5HT2) receptor antagonismChung et al. [49]
Rauwolfia tetraphylla L. (Syn. R. canescens/R. heterophylla/ R. hirsuta; (Apocynaceae)Leaves11-demethoxyreserpiline, 10- demethoxyreserpiline, α-yohimbine and reserpiline are alkaloids isolated from the leaves of Rauwolfia tetraphylla and are found to possess atypical antipsychotic-like actionsThe mechanism of action of the plant is due to the blockade of dopamine (D2) and serotonin (5HT2) receptor.Gupta et al. [33]
Rhodiola rosea Linn. (Crassulaceae)The extracts of R. rosea are used in traditional medicine for various conditions related to nervous system function. Studies has shown that the extract has beneficial antipsychotic properties.The probable antipsychotic mechanism of R. rosea is due to reversal of prepulse inhibition deficits in laboratory rodents.Coors et al. [64]
Saururus cernuus Linn. (Sauru-ruraceae)Saururus cernuus has been used in folk medicine as a sedative and to treat other illnesses. Manassantin A. a neolignoid isolated from Saururus cernuus was found to demonstrate neuroleptic activityThe antipsychotic effect of Saururus cernuus may be due to weak antagonism of dopamine receptors.Rao et al. [65]
Securinega virosa (Roxb ex. Willd) Baill.Root BarkSecurinega virosa has been described as “cure all” in Africa traditional medicine because of its use widely in the treatment of many illnesses. The plant contains saponins, flavonoids, alkaloids and tannins, and was found to possess antipsycotic activityThe probable mechanism of action may be due to dopamine D1 and D2 antagonism.Magaji et al. [66]
Spinacia oleracea Linn Chenopo-diaceaeSeedsSpinacia oleracea is reported to have beneficial effect against several neurodegenerative disorders. Phytoconstituents such as ascorbic acid, apigenin, astragalin, caffeic, lutein, β-carotene, ferulic acid, kampeferol, rutin, querecetin were isolated from the plant. The seed extract of Spinacia oleracea showed antipsychotic activity.Spinacia oleracea’s protective effect in schizophrenia may be associated with its regulating effect on dopamine, GABA, acetylcholinesterase, glutathione, malondialdehyde levelsYadav [67]
Spondias mombin Linn. (Anacar-diaceae)LeavesSpondias mombin is a medicinal plant widely use in the treatment of various ailments including mental illness. The extract contains tannins, flavonoids and saponins as its major constituents. S. mombin possess typical antipsychotic-like effects.The antipsychotic mechanism of S. mombin may be due to dopaminergic receptor antagonism.Ayoka et al. [68]
Swertia chirata Linn Gentianaceae)LeavesGentianine is a major alkaloid isolated from Swertia chirata and was found to possess antipsychotic properties by antagonizing amphetamine induced stereotypy.It probable mechanism of action might be due to dopamine antagonism.Bhattacharya et al. [32]
Synedrella nodiflora (Linn.) Gaertn (family Asteraceae)The extract of the whole plant has demonstrated anticonvulsant, sedative, in vitro antioxidant and free radical scavenging properties as well as antinociceptive properties in acute and neuropathic pain. Synedrella nodiflora also possess antipsychotic properties.The probably mechanism of the antipsychotic properties of Synedrella nodiflora might be due to central dopamine receptor antagonism.Amoateng et al. [69]
Terminalia macroptera Guill. & Perr. (Combreta-ceae)Leaves and rootsThe plant contains Flavonoids, saponins and tannins in abundance which may be responsible in part for the observed activities. T. macroptera has been used traditionally for the treatment of hallucinations, and has also being found to possess antipsychotic properties in the ketamine-induced psychosis model.T. macroptera possible mechanism of action may be due to enhancement of NMDA receptors located on inhibitory GABAergic neurons in the limbic and subcortical brain regions and also its antioxidant properties.Ior et al. [12]
Viscum album Linn. (Lorantha-ceae)Viscum album is claimed in traditional medical practice, to be useful in the treatment of psychosis and insomnia. Some of the major constituents of the extract are flavonoids and tannins. V. album was found to possess antipsychotic properties.The mechanism of action of Viscum album maybe due to dopamine antagonism.Guptaa et al. [70]

I've been taking cyproheptadine, pregnenolone, glycine, taurine, bacopa monnieri, stephania root extract, holy basil, morinda, N acetyl cysteine, and gingko biloba to try and reduce the positive symptoms of schizophrenia. Let me know what you guys do or recommend to help your symptoms. I hate being limited to medication and believe the brain can heal itself given the right nutrition and support.

Last edited:

Logan-

Can you describe the hallucinations? Do you actually hear them, just as you hear an actual voice?

Logan-

If I were you, I would focus more on the gut health. Cascara, carrot salad, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, bone broth, antibiotics and maybe antifungals. Do an elimination diet. Don’t drink alcohol. Take thyroid (t3+t4) every day, a little dhea and maybe progesterone. Eat ruminant liver once a week. Seafood a few times a month. Get your macros and micros in order, make sure ypu eat well and get enough calories.

Last edited:
OP
D

dhtsupreme

Can you describe the hallucinations? Do you actually hear them, just as you hear an actual voice?
I hear about 5 different voices. They make full sentences and are very repetitive and irritating. They make comments about what they're doing. They have "narrators" that sit and narrate every action taking place like if someone was moving something or is getting angry at something. It gets worse at night before I go to sleep
If I were you, I would focus more on the gut health. Cascara, carrot salad, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, bone broth, antibiotics and maybe antifungals. Do an elimination diet. Don’t drink alcohol.
Will do. Thanks. There's some good posts showing how schizophrenia is linked to the gut and minocycline would help. I forgot about cascara sagrada

OP
D

dhtsupreme

My belief in these plants is that they aren't just lowering dopamine and serotonin. They are also containing antioxidants and other beneficial properties that offset the negatives of lowered dopamine in the brain. What do you guys think about that?

If I were you, I would focus more on the gut health. Cascara, carrot salad, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, bone broth, antibiotics and maybe antifungals. Do an elimination diet. Don’t drink alcohol. Take thyroid (t3+t4) every day, a little dhea and maybe progesterone. Eat ruminant liver once a week. Seafood a few times a month. Get your macros and micros in order, make sure ypu eat well and get enough calories.
I agree with you here, and would add to take out grains and add in raw carrots, away from food. Here is someone else with a thread dealing with a similar issue…

steel_reserve

How is your sleep quality?

I've only experienced hearing voices once. It was some freak situation where I couldn't sleep for two days. I heard voices, but they weren't talking to me.

Peat once suggested schizophrenia was a type of cellular-level exhaustion. Schizos have lower rates of cancer and viral infection.

Maybe start there.

steel_reserve

How is your sleep quality?

I've only experienced hearing voices once. It was some freak situation where I couldn't sleep for two days. I heard voices, but they weren't talking to me.

Peat once suggested schizophrenia was a type of cellular-level exhaustion. Schizos have lower rates of cancer and viral infection.

Maybe start there.
Schizophrenics tend to be heavy smokers. Try oral nicotine (swallowed, not sucked/chewed).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals