Cistanche

L

lollipop

With warm water. Part of TCM is to TASTE the herb, which is part of it's energetic properties. Sweet, Salty and warm.
Maybe add a little honey if you have to?

@lisaferraro

I am so glad I brought this to your attention. How scary is that. Were you taking a He Shou Wu prepared extract?
Yes from Jing Herbs - so probably safe and not permanent - but I am sure it affected my liver reflecting back.

Jennifer

I'm sorry to hear you had issues with ho shou wu, @lisaferraro. :( Dr. Morse's endocrine and brain/nerve formulas contain ho shou wu and I've been taking them for a couple years now and my liver is worlds better than before I began taking them — I no longer suffer from gallbladder attacks or skin issues. I've only ever had it from Dr. Morse's formulas. They're pretty potent (4:1 strength), but he also includes many whole herbs per formula so maybe dosing is a factor?

Ho shou wu actually grows wild here in the States and all around the world. Here it's known as smartweed or knotweed. It's part of the buckwheat family. There's this woman named Katrina Blair who owns the Turtle Lake Refuge in Durango, Colorado and she's well versed in edible weeds and wrote an excellent book (IMO) on what she considers to be 13 essential wild edible plants, and ho shou wu/smartweed is one of them.

If anyone is interested, here's a video on Katrina and the refuge:

And this is her book:

https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Wisdom-...+weeds+13+essential+plants+for+human+survival

Also, if anyone is interested — I follow a woman on YouTube named Dara who uses Jing Herbs and has a coupon code for 10% off your order. The code is Dara.

L

lollipop

I'm sorry to hear you had issues with ho shou wu, @lisaferraro. :( Dr. Morse's endocrine and brain/nerve formulas contain ho shou wu and I've been taking them for a couple years now and my liver is worlds better than before I began taking them — I no longer suffer from gallbladder attacks or skin issues. I've only ever had it from Dr. Morse's formulas. They're pretty potent (4:1 strength), but he also includes many whole herbs per formula so maybe dosing is a factor?

Ho shou wu actually grows wild here in the States and all around the world. Here it's known as smartweed or knotweed. It's part of the buckwheat family. There's this woman named Katrina Blair who owns the Turtle Lake Refuge in Durango, Colorado and she's well versed in edible weeds and wrote an excellent book (IMO) on what she considers to be 13 essential wild edible plants, and ho shou wu/smartweed is one of them.

And this is her book:

https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Wisdom-...+weeds+13+essential+plants+for+human+survival

Also, if anyone is interested — I follow a woman on YouTube named Dara who uses Jing Herbs and has a coupon code for 10% off your order. The code is Dara.

This is awesome info @Jennifer! I will look into it more. My liver is doing great now - woot! It took a lot of work and Peat knowledge to get there though...

Jennifer

Huh. I just noticed I said Dr. Morse's herbs are a 4:1 strength. That's not right. It should read 1:4. 4:1 would be hella strong. Haha!

@lisaferraro — Sorry for getting off topic, but I wanted to quickly ask if you've ever used licorice root?

L

lollipop

Huh. I just noticed I said Dr. Morse's herbs are a 4:1 strength. That's not right. It should read 1:4. 4:1 would be hella strong. Haha!

@lisaferraro — Sorry for getting off topic, but I wanted to quickly ask if you've ever used licorice root?
Hi @Jennifer, I have! I used the tea for a time and recently I discovered DGL...which seriously helped turn around my upper GI. As I understand it about 6 weeks is about all you want to take it without a break. I am about there. I have the tea in my cabinet of herb teas and have a cup every now and then.

Jennifer

Hi @Jennifer, I have! I used the tea for a time and recently I discovered DGL...which seriously helped turn around my upper GI. As I understand it about 6 weeks is about all you want to take it without a break. I am about there. I have the tea in my cabinet of herb teas and have a cup every now and then.
Excellent! Thanks for sharing, Lisa! :) My mum and I have used DGL in the past to help heal our GI and it worked well for us, also. I've been debating if I should use a licorice root tincture come winter to help keep my blood pressure from falling too low like it usually does during the dark months. I think I will. Thanks again!

OP
W

Wagner83

Havent been able to find a good tongkat ali supplement; where did you source you tongkat ali?
I really liked lj100 (Olympus labs) but it's expensive. There are some threads on anabolicminds.
Hi

[USER=4871]@Wagner83
you can also look up Paul stammet’s mushroom formulations. They are very good. Just remember that you don’t want extracts made from freeze dried mushrooms. You need the prepared or cooked ones.[/USER]

Thanks for the suggestions.

ubiety

I like Barlowes Tongkat a lot. No crap added to his supplements either. Trying Cistanche now. I have no financial interest in Barlowes but have tried several of his supplements.

ubiety

Just started a couple of days ago, and so far I've noticed improved mental clarity from it.

Momado965

Apart from dhea, saturated fats, k2, and probably t3; what are other things to include in my diet to ensure maximum 17a hsd and 3b hsd expression?

OP
W

Wagner83

BTD

I just started taking Barlowe's cistanche deserticola. I'm stacking it with butea superba, which I have been taking for a while. I have no affiliation whatsoever with his company! Seems like the products are very solid and reliable, as far as the butea superba goes. Not sure about the cistanche yet! This is my second day using it. It seems like I felt more drive and motivation to do things yesterday, i.e clean the house among other household chores as well as complete some coursework. I'm very wary about a possible placebo effect, though, but so far so good.

OP
W

Wagner83

I can't say I noticed anything special from the cistanche when I tried it.

Momado965

I just started taking Barlowe's cistanche deserticola. I'm stacking it with butea superba, which I have been taking for a while. I have no affiliation whatsoever with his company! Seems like the products are very solid and reliable, as far as the butea superba goes. Not sure about the cistanche yet! This is my second day using it. It seems like I felt more drive and motivation to do things yesterday, i.e clean the house among other household chores as well as complete some coursework. I'm very wary about a possible placebo effect, though, but so far so good.

How did you feel on butea?

BTD

How did you feel on butea?
I've loved using butea! Before I started using Barlowe's, I was using Swanson's which was a good brand, too, but I switched because it seemed like Barlowe's was more natural (plus it is a higher dose). My libido is great and I've felt quite energetic. I've used butea off and on since January 2017, but recently I've been using it nonstop since August without cycling. I've personally noticed if I take a day or two off and then resume normal dosage I'll feel noticeable effects, but as for anyone, your mileage may vary.

Dave Clark

And this is her book:

The knotweed you refer to isn't the same as the Japanese knotweed that grows like crazy here in the states, is it? I thought that is one of the sources of resveratrol, but didn't think it was the same as Fo Ti.

Jennifer

The knotweed you refer to isn't the same as the Japanese knotweed that grows like crazy here in the states, is it? I thought that is one of the sources of resveratrol, but didn't think it was the same as Fo Ti.
For reference — Katrina Blair says in this video at 9:25 that smartweed is a local variety of fo-ti:

I did a search and see that smartweed, Japanese knotweed and fo-ti/ho shou wu are different species in the same genus.

Smartweed (Polygonum aviculare)

Classification
Genus: Polygonum L. — knotweed
Species: Polygonum aviculare L. — prostrate knotweed

Plants Profile for Polygonum aviculare (prostrate knotweed)

Japanese knotweed (Polygonum cuspidatum)

Classification
Species: Polygonum cuspidatum Siebold & Zucc. — Japanese knotweed

Plants Profile for Polygonum cuspidatum (Japanese knotweed)

Ho shou wu/fo-ti/fleeceflower (Polygonum multiflorum)

Classification
Species: Polygonum multiflorum Thunb. — tuber fleeceflower

Plants Profile for Polygonum multiflorum (tuber fleeceflower)

You're right — Japanese knotweed is a source of resveratrol. I think fo-ti only contains analogues of it.

Something I found interesting while searching is that fo-ti contains the quinone, emodin. Emodin is the same laxative compound found in cascara and aloe. I came across one source that said it also contains the flavonoid, apigenin. Apigenin is the same adaptogenic compound found in citrus and many other fruits and veggies, and herbs/spices such as chamomile, licorice, peppermint, oregano and cloves.

Last edited: