Cistanche increases steroidogenic enzymes, lowers NO, helps osteoporosis and Alzheimer's

miquelangeles

Interesting, I have often experienced some form of detox reaction from cistanche, but I always thought it was due its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal effects. For example more dark circles the next day after taking it .
On the other hand I wonder why nobody else reported such effects, at least I havent read it and I think there's quite a few people that tried cistanche on this forum.
It could also be that helps your body fight an already existing infection ...

And I think the addition of cistanche to vaccines will likely make it safer, since cistanche known to be anti-inflammatory.

It's possible that there was a low level infection, yes.
I haven't any similar experiences either and yes, it's quite a mainstream supplement actually.
Amway sells it under the name Nutrilite Memory Builder.

amway.com/en_US/Nutrilite™-Memory-Builder-Supplement-p-111106

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

It's possible that there was a low level infection, yes.
I haven't any similar experiences either and yes, it's quite a mainstream supplement actually.
Amway sells it under the name Nutrilite Memory Builder.

amway.com/en_US/Nutrilite™-Memory-Builder-Supplement-p-111106

Either way if you only take it 1-3 times per week. you should be one the safe side . I know you use lanolin, so you could cycle it with this and /or pregnenolone, DHEA,etc.

I also notice a brain fog reducing and memory enhancing effect from it. Happy that a good supplement is beeing promoted :)

miquelangeles

Either way if you only take it 1-3 times per week. you should be one the safe side . I know you use lanolin, so you could cycle it with this and /or pregnenolone, DHEA,etc.

I also notice a brain fog reducing and memory enhancing effect from it. Happy that a good supplement is beeing promoted :)
I'll give it another chance yeah. I noticed a calming effect from it which was nice.
At the moment I'm taking the white button mushrooms and an old favorite, mix of Ashwagandha, Safed Musli and tiny bit of Shatavari. Do you have any experience with Safed Musli? I never tried it in isolation.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I'll give it another chance yeah. I noticed a calming effect from it which was nice.
At the moment I'm taking the white button mushrooms and an old favorite, mix of Ashwagandha, Safed Musli and tiny bit of Shatavari. Do you have any experience with Safed Musli? I never tried it in isolation.
Same, I like the GABAergic effect that it has. Just took some earlier today. Overall it's a very well rounded supplement .

Never heard of it. Actually thought is was some kind of muesli lol
Does it have any effects on androgens ,serotonin, etc. ?

miquelangeles

Same, I like the GABAergic effect that it has. Just took some earlier today. Overall it's a very well rounded supplement .

Never heard of it. Actually thought is was some kind of muesli lol
Does it have any effects on androgens ,serotonin, etc. ?
Sexual tonic, adaptogen, androgenic, ergogenic, considered a "rasayana" herb in Ayurveda.
Mostly animal studies, and only a few in humans but long history of use traditionally. In humans it fails to raise serum T, it's possibly a T mimicker.
When administered to fish hatchlings it masculinizes most of them.
It seems to have anti-aromatase activity possibly through unsaturated fatty acids.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Sexual tonic, adaptogen, androgenic, ergogenic, considered a "rasayana" herb in Ayurveda.
Mostly animal studies, and only a few in humans but long history of use traditionally. In humans it fails to raise serum T, it's possibly a T mimicker.
When administered to fish hatchlings it masculinizes most of them.
It seems to have anti-aromatase activity possibly through unsaturated fatty acids.
Interesting! I found a 12€ version of it might just give it a shot.

Ismail

"...increased glycogen content (40.8% in liver and 52.6% in muscle, 200 mg/kg) and the activities of carbohydrate metabolizing enzymes; regulated lipid profile changes and the activities of antioxidant enzymes; diminished serum markers of oxidative stress and inflammation in a dose-dependent manner (p < 0.05)."
Wow!

Johhnyb

Been wanting to try this herb for a while now, lots of good sources discussed here, but before I give it a go…

I’ve heard on from multiple places (without linking any studies) claim that this increases serotonin? Can anyone provide any clarification on this as I cannot seem to find a straight answer.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

After taking some cistanche again today I noticed bigger and fuller muscles.
I feel like it detoxes soemthing in my gut. I had more dark circles today and also diarrhea.
Also I felt slightly introverted and anxious, but that might be due to the gut effects.
I could work surprisingly well and efficient and wasnt interested much in socialiizing or instant gratification things.
Like I was just thinking about getting useful stuff done.
The gut effect really weirds me out, I wonder if it gets rid of something or if it's just irritating.
Since it's also anti-microbial ,I suspect the former.
I seem to be more serious on it, which might be due to the pro-DHT effect.
Interestingly I just took 2 capsules, which amounts to 800mg , so a very low dose.

@Ismail @cjm are you guys still taking it ?

Last edited:

Soren

Forum Supporter
After taking some cistanche again today I noticed bigger and fuller muscles.
I feel like it detoxes soemthing in my gut. I had more dark circles today and also diarrhea.
Also I felt slightly introverted and anxious, but that might be due to the gut effects.
I could work surprisingly well and efficient and wasnt interested much in socialiizing or instant gratification things.
Like I was just thinking about getting useful stuff done.
The gut effect really weirds me out, I wonder if it gets rid of something or if it's just irritating.
Since it's also anti-microbial ,I suspect the former.
I seem to be more serious on it, which might be due to the pro-DHT effect.
Interestingly I just took 2 capsules, which amounts to 800mg , so a very low dose.

@Ismail @cjm are you guys still taking it ?

Interesting the effect on the gut, I've read that it has the ability to kill some antibiotic resistant bacteria so maybe that is what is happening. Although are not the dark circles and diarrhoea maybe a sign of an increased in serotonin? I'm very keen to try it.

It grows wild here in the canary islands too bad no one farms it. I'd like to find a flower and make my own tea or powder with it but I have no idea how to do that correctly or safely. I'm surprised given how fact the history of the peoples of the canary islands goes that no one has ever used it as a herbal tonic or medicine. Maybe they once did but it was forgotten.

I'm curious also how this might improve hair growth and quality. Found a study posted by @Lokzo showing that taking 400mg a day orally had some positive effect on hair density and reducing scalp inflammation.

This Herb Is Stronger Than Tribulus

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Interesting the effect on the gut, I've read that it has the ability to kill some antibiotic resistant bacteria so maybe that is what is happening. Although are not the dark circles and diarrhoea maybe a sign of an increased in serotonin? I'm very keen to try it.

It grows wild here in the canary islands too bad no one farms it. I'd like to find a flower and make my own tea or powder with it but I have no idea how to do that correctly or safely. I'm surprised given how fact the history of the peoples of the canary islands goes that no one has ever used it as a herbal tonic or medicine. Maybe they once did but it was forgotten.

I'm curious also how this might improve hair growth and quality. Found a study posted by @Lokzo showing that taking 400mg a day orally had some positive effect on hair density and reducing scalp inflammation.

This Herb Is Stronger Than Tribulus
Yeah I was thinking that too. Sometimes there is something like a herxheimer reaction where it gets worse before it gets better ,especially when its killing soemthing off.
The effect on mood might also be related too a reduction of allopregnanolone.
Where it really shines is the physical benefits . Like libido and physique wise I see a big change.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I tried Cistanche for about 3 weeks and I kinda liked it.
But I think it messes with your immune system.
After the first week I developed something like a large cold sore on my lip which resolved within 2 or 3 days after stopping Cistanche, without leaving any sign.
I then resumed Cistanche and after another week I developed a nasty and painful ear infection which destroyed my sleep for a whole week and required antibiotics.
Makes me think it was not a coincidence. Cistanche polysaccharides have actually been proposed as adjuvants in vaccines.
I used the extract powder from Na'vi Organics, which is considered a reputable brand.
I think I experienced something similar to you . After cistanche I faced a reociirecje of viral symptoms that I suffered from a couple months ago. Damn .

Soren

Forum Supporter
Been using it for about a month and have definitely noticed big increases in Libido and i am a bit leaner and stronger.

Ryan18

Been using it for about a month and have definitely noticed big increases in Libido and i am a bit leaner and stronger.
What brand did you opt for, Soren? And how much, how frequently?

CreakyJoints

I don't think it's been discussed here before, but I found this rat study interesting - it has a brief passage explaining the differences in compounds between the two main strains of Cistanche more commonly mentioned here. It also makes reference to effects on dopamine production. Perhaps someone else will be able to glean useful information from it? I think I need to go over it a few more times.

3.1. Determining the Content of Main Bioactive Ingredients in the C. deserticola Y.C.Ma and C. tubulosa Samples​

The phenylethanoid glycosides such as echinacoside and verbascoside are generally considered as the main bioactive ingredients; hence the content of echinacoside and verbascoside in both C. deserticola Y.C.Ma and C. tubulosa samples was determined by HPLC. The HPLC chromatograms were shown in Figure 1, and the results show that the total content of phenylethanoid glycosides from C. deserticola Y.C.Ma was approximately twice that from C. tubulosa. Echinacoside and verbascoside weights, respectively, account for 1.27 ± 0.009% and 0.52 ± 0.003% of powder prepared from C. deserticola Y.C.Ma and 19.81 ± 0.66% and 2.45 ± 0.12% of powder prepared from C. tubulosa. Echinacoside and verbascoside weights, respectively, account for 0.90 ± 0.001% and 0.20 ± 0.001% of C. deserticola Y.C.Ma decoction and 5.90 ± 0.12% and 0.54 ± 0.05% of powder prepared from C. tubulosa (Table 1).

I would like to have tagged everyone who's expressed an interest in the differences between these two herbs on the forum, but for some reason I can't! I hope it helps someone, though.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals