Cistanche

OP
W

Wagner83

Effect of Cistanche Tubulosa Extracts on Male Reproductive Function in Streptozotocin–Nicotinamide-Induced Diabetic Rats

Abstract

Diabetes is a chronic disorder characterized by hyperglycemia due to decreased levels of insulin or the inefficiency of the tissue to use it effectively. Infertility is known as a major outcome of diabetes and affects the male reproductive system by causing sperm impairment and gonadal dysfunction. Cistanche tubulosa is a parasitic plant which has the capacity to improve memory, immunity, and sexual ability, reduce impotence, and minimize constipation. This study was focused on the investigation of the anti-inflammatory and protective effects of echinacoside (ECH) in Cistanche tubulosa extract (CTE) on the male reproductive system of the diabetic rats. The antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and protective effects of CTE were evaluated by both in vitro and in vivo methods. The in vitro results show that the ECH inhibited reactive oxygen species (ROS) production and improved StAR, CYP11A1, CYP17A1, and HSD17β3 protein expression. The in vivo analysis was carried out with three doses of echinacoside (ECH) (80, 160, and 320 mg/kg) in CTE. In total, 0.571 mg/kg of rosiglitazone (RSG) was administered as a positive control. Diabetes was induced by streptozotocin (STZ) (65 mg/kg) and nicotinamide (230 mg/kg) in combination with a high-fat diet (45%). The in vivo studies confirmed that the ECH improved blood sugar levels, insulin resistance, leptin resistance, and lipid peroxidation. It can restore kisspeptin 1 (KiSS1), G protein-coupled receptor GPR 54, suppressor of cytokine signaling 3 (SOCS-3), and sirtuin 1 (SIRT1) messenger ribonucleic acid (mRNA) expression in the hypothalamus and recover sex hormone level. Thus, this study confirmed the antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and steroidogenesis effects of CTE.

Antidepressant-Like Effects of Cistanche tubulosa Extract on Chronic Unpredictable Stress Rats Through Restoration of Gut Microbiota Homeostasis. - PubMed - NCBI

Abstract
Growing evidence shows that neuropsychiatric disorders, such as depression, are linked with gut microbiome through the gut-brain axis. Cistanches Herba is well known for the treatment of "kidney-yang" deficiency in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), and has been used for treatment of neurodegenerative diseases in recent years. In this study, chronic unpredictable stress (CUS)-induced depression model was established to explore the impact of Cistanche tubulosa extract (CTE) on behavioral tests, monoamine neurotransmitters and neurotrophic factors in hippocampus and colon, gut microbiota composition, and short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs) production. Moreover, correlation analysis was used to evaluate the functional relationship between altered gut microbiota, changed neurotransmitters and neurotrophins in hippocampus and colon, and disturbed concentration of SCFAs. CTE significantly improved depression-like behaviors in rats under CUS. Brain level of 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) and brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) expression in CUS rats were restored by CTE. The relative abundance of gut microbiota and the concentrations of acetate and hexanoic acid could also be modulated by CTE treatment. We further showed that the application of CTE in CUS rats led to strong correlation among disrupted gut microbiota composition, hippocampus neurotransmitter levels, and production of neuroactive metabolite SCFAs. Altogether, these results identify CTE as a potential treatment for depressive symptoms by restoring homeostasis of gut microbiota for microbiota-gut-brain axis disorders, opening new avenues in the field of neuropsychopharmacology.

Echinacoside Increases Sperm Quantity in Rats by Targeting the Hypothalamic Androgen Receptor

Abstract
Male infertility is a major health issue with an estimated prevalence of 4.2% of male infertility worldwide. Our early work demonstrated that Cistanche extracts protect against sperm damage in mice and that echinacoside (ECH) is one of the major active components. Here we report an essential role for ECH, a natural product that reverses or protects against oligoasthenospermia in rats. ECH was assayed by HPLC, the quantity and quality of sperm was evaluated and hormone levels were determined by radioimmunosorbent assay. ECH reduced levels of androgen receptor (AR) and key steroidogenic-related genes as determined by Western blot and qPCR analysis. The interaction between ECH and AR were evaluated by indirect ELISA and molecular docking. The results show that ECH combined with hypothalamic AR in the pocket of Met-894 and Val-713 to inhibit transfer of AR from the cytoplasm to nuclei in the hypothalamus. While negative feedback of sex hormone regulation was inhibited, positive feedback was stimulated to increase the secretion of luteinizing hormone and testosterone subsequently enhancing the quantity of sperm. Taken together, these data demonstrate that ECH blocks AR activity in the hypothalamus to increase the quantity of sperm and protect against oligoasthenospermia in rats.

greenmachinex

Gotcha. That’s what I’ve been doing, except with cool water. But 1 side effect I’m getting is kind of like a flushing feeling on half my head. I don’t really know how else to describe it. It’s like the left side of my head, under my hair feels prickly for lack of a better word. Other then that, I’m loving its Androgenic effects.

Momado965

Gotcha. That’s what I’ve been doing, except with cool water. But 1 side effect I’m getting is kind of like a flushing feeling on half my head. I don’t really know how else to describe it. It’s like the left side of my head, under my hair feels prickly for lack of a better word. Other then that, I’m loving its Androgenic effects.

What brand are you using and what species or cistanche?

greenmachinex

Both Barlowe’s C Deserticula and Dimmak’s C Deserticula Is there another brand I should try (other than lost Empire Herbs which is absurdly expensive)?

Last edited:

greenmachinex

I’ll also mention I’m stacking with Butea superba but I’m wondering if that’s having a negative effect.

greenmachinex

I just ordered Raw Forest Foods 10:1 Cistanche Tubulosa to try out. Hopefully it doesn’t give that same head flush feeling. I wonder if it’s excessive vasodilation or histamine...

I just started taking Barlowe's cistanche deserticola. I'm stacking it with butea superba, which I have been taking for a while. I have no affiliation whatsoever with his company! Seems like the products are very solid and reliable, as far as the butea superba goes. Not sure about the cistanche yet! This is my second day using it. It seems like I felt more drive and motivation to do things yesterday, i.e clean the house among other household chores as well as complete some coursework. I'm very wary about a possible placebo effect, though, but so far so good.
I took butea superba from Barlowe’s as well and I must say I really liked it.

PandaPower

cistanche is a China specialty. I should try it since there are many herbal medicine pharmacies here in China ...but I don't know what will be genuine extract rate because I am becoming very suspicious about quality under this forums influence that everyone in this forum complains about Chinese supplies....

OP
W

Wagner83

The feedback online is underwhelming, people reportquickly diminishing effects or none at all. I'm still interested in it but I'm not sure what source to pick, lostempireofherbs is way too expensive. A decent quantity could be needed so life extension standardized extract in caps may not be ideal either. It's probably one of those herbs which could be spiked if it's even cistanche in the first place.
After a long time off, very good effects for two, three days tops. Anything beyond that, some form of tolerance sets in and it's utterly rubbish, if not negative. Like I said in the above post, others have experienced the same. For the record this was with raw forest foods product. I'm pretty sure I experienced the same with JingHerbs, but this one was used in a fairly distant past.

Last edited: