Spartan300

@not_James_Bond always difficult to say unless others have tried & report decent effects but that looks like it might be worth a go & I may do so myself after a break.

Only other one I've seen recommended here is by lost empire herbs but it's really expensive for those in the UK

DMF

Does this herb have stimulant qualities in ways that ginseng has ? If so, I don't want it.
How else may this herb act upon us like ginseng ?
Can we obtain it in "natural" form - not prepaired?

Yody

Very interesting ! According to this study this seems to be one of the few phyto progestogens ,while still boosting testosterone! That's very rare.

In the fulltext of the study you can see that the medium dose of 0,4g/kg was the most effective. They highest dose was not the most effective .

But 0,4 g was much more effective than 0,2g/kg! So it seems you have to cross a certain threshold to get the biggest benefits.
The HED of the most effective dosage would come down to 4-5g per day .
On this dose progesterone almost doubled and testosterone increased about 40% .
View attachment 20491

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/13880209.2015.1050114
According to Mauritio and the study, 4-5g is sufficient. Over 10 yields diminishing returns.

TibRex

Cistanche is far too expensive to dose that high :/
The one shown at the top of the list on eBay** [below web page] is reasonably priced at USD 18.00 for 200 g and as this is a 30:1 extract, I think you won't need to take 15 g [raw herb] - what do you think? Where I am in Asia, the raw herb is actually inexpensive but it's not in powdered form, unfortunately :

E-Bay :
cistanche tubulosa | eBay

** Btw, this appears to be the last one, so grab it fast, if it suits your needs!!

Last edited:

Mauritio

Mauritio

Any new updates from people taking this ???

I ordered one from the UK but that never arrived. So I do some digging and those two seem to be alright. Although the latter one is cistanche salsa and not tubulosa. Hamster posted a study that showed that salsa inhibited 5ar ,so if you want to be on the safe side ,go with the tubulosa (although I think the study is BS) .

Mauritio

A few new studies on cistanche tubulosa:

This one shows that cistanche increases biosynthesis of testosterone by increasing important steroidogenic enzymes .
("Meanwhile, the expressions of the key steroidogenic enzymes including CYP11A1 and 3β-HSD were significantly up-regulated...")
So basically it helps downstream conversion of cholesterol into pregnenolone and DHEA into androstenedione and from there into other steroids like Testosterone.
1610809101433.png

They measured the damage done to the testicles by applying cortisone (!) , which is interesting that this seems to be an established model of inducing testicular damage and low testosterone !
Once again it showed that the optimal dosage probably lies somewhere around 3-5g .
In this one an HED of 750mg was ineffective, 1,5g was more effective and 3g was the most effective. Unfortunately they didn't test 5g or higher .
So if people dont have good results i suspect they might not be taking enough as most of the animal study show no /minimal effects from low doses and good effects from HEDs of 2,5-5g .
I dont know how much taking an extract factors in to that ! As some people say :' Oh I dont need to take 5g as I take a 10:1 extract so I only take 500mg " dont know if it works like that...

In this study they tested some glycosides from cistanche tubulosa . And they found some awesome things .
They decreased NO by 33% and 39% , inhibited Endotoxin induced inflammation, decreased iNOS, IL-1, IL-6 , COX-2 and TNF-alpha !
What an impressive mechanism of action. Remindes me of aspirin!
The Cox-2 lowering is not to be underestimated and might be one of the reasons for the testosterone increasing effects of cistanche tubulosa.

After administrated with echinacoside and acteoside, the typical pathological features of osteoporosis and Alzheimer's disease were ameliorated.

Brandin

Sure seems like a 5-AR inhibitor.
https://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/cjpp-2015-0112

Cistanche salsa has been used in traditional medicine for the treatment of kidney deficiency, neurasthenia, sexual dysfunction diseases, and benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). The aim of this study was to investigate the mechanism by which C. salsa extract (CSE) elicits an anti-proliferative effect on the prostate tissue of BPH-induced rats. The effects of CSE on BPH were evaluated in terms of prostate weight, production of serum dihydrotestosterone (DHT), and the mRNA expression of 5α-reductase type 1 and type 2 in the prostate tissue of BPH-induced rats. In addition, hematoxylin and eosin (H&E) staining was performed for histological examination of prostate gland morphology, and protein expression levels in prostate tissue were investigated by western blot analysis. CSE treatment decreased prostate weight, serum DHT concentration, and the mRNA expression of 5α-reductase type 1 and type 2 in prostate tissue of BPH-induced rats. In addition, CSE treatment suppressed cell proliferation by regulating the expression levels of inflammatory-related proteins (inducible nitric oxide synthase and cyclooxygenase 2) and apoptosis-associated proteins (caspase-3 and Bcl-2 family proteins). CSE may be a potential therapeutic candidate for BPH owing to its ability to regulate the expression of inflammatory and apoptosis-related proteins.
that is cistanch salsa. Its different than tubulosa

FitnessMike

how about desert chistanche?

This stuff is still interesting (as anything slightly interesting and even more well-known tends to be interesting on and off). However I just wonder about the mechanism of how it restores/upregulates Kisspeptin. It can't just be Sirt1 (which is mentioned as well), as that is influenced by just about anything shared but it (let's be real) doesn't do much. And I also doubt it's as simple as that.

Last edited:

Mister

Sure seems like a 5-AR inhibitor.
https://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/cjpp-2015-0112

Cistanche salsa has been used in traditional medicine for the treatment of kidney deficiency, neurasthenia, sexual dysfunction diseases, and benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). The aim of this study was to investigate the mechanism by which C. salsa extract (CSE) elicits an anti-proliferative effect on the prostate tissue of BPH-induced rats. The effects of CSE on BPH were evaluated in terms of prostate weight, production of serum dihydrotestosterone (DHT), and the mRNA expression of 5α-reductase type 1 and type 2 in the prostate tissue of BPH-induced rats. In addition, hematoxylin and eosin (H&E) staining was performed for histological examination of prostate gland morphology, and protein expression levels in prostate tissue were investigated by western blot analysis. CSE treatment decreased prostate weight, serum DHT concentration, and the mRNA expression of 5α-reductase type 1 and type 2 in prostate tissue of BPH-induced rats. In addition, CSE treatment suppressed cell proliferation by regulating the expression levels of inflammatory-related proteins (inducible nitric oxide synthase and cyclooxygenase 2) and apoptosis-associated proteins (caspase-3 and Bcl-2 family proteins). CSE may be a potential therapeutic candidate for BPH owing to its ability to regulate the expression of inflammatory and apoptosis-related proteins.
Yup, watch out with this one

Chophouse360

I got consistently good cognitive effects from Cistanche, but stopped taking it because it drove my libido too high. I'm retrying some supps since I've improved my gut issues and will add cistanche to the list.
What brand and what dosage?

Elie

Forum Supporter
Very interesting ! According to this study this seems to be one of the few phyto progestogens ,while still boosting testosterone! That's very rare.

In the fulltext of the study you can see that the medium dose of 0,4g/kg was the most effective. They highest dose was not the most effective .

But 0,4 g was much more effective than 0,2g/kg! So it seems you have to cross a certain threshold to get the biggest benefits.
The HED of the most effective dosage would come down to 4-5g per day .
On this dose progesterone almost doubled and testosterone increased about 40% .
View attachment 20491

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/13880209.2015.1050114
this is an old one, but I am investigating Cistanche.
this is from the "analysis and Chemical Components" section - "The solution in 40-fold dilution " - would this necessarily imply a 40:1 extract?

Mauritio

this is an old one, but I am investigating Cistanche.
this is from the "analysis and Chemical Components" section - "The solution in 40-fold dilution " - would this necessarily imply a 40:1 extract?
Im not sure...