Dismiss Notice
  7. Orange & Red Light Therapy Device - LGS1
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Cascara Sagrada Powder From Farmalabor In Italy
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Are Probiotics Worth A Shot?

Discussion in 'Digestion' started by Nstocks, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Dante

Dante Member

For what's it worth, before i was into this health stuff, i was prescribed doxycline for acne by a derm. I took it for 2-3 months. After 2nd month , it was as if my gut tore apart. Started having diarrhea and fatigue ( i had the digestion of steel prior to this event so i couldn't identify what was the cause). Didn't know mass bacterial killing can cause opportunistic bacterial overgrowth. Went to a gastro MD, was prescribed VSL#3 (bifidobacteria based probiotic) ,took around 2-3 packs (a single pack contains 10 tablets ) and felt great relief . You can search VSL#3 on pubmed . It has decent research backing it and it's patented tech makes sure the germs reach colon ( atleast that's what they say).

2. OP
    Nstocks

Nstocks Member

450 BILLION bacteria!

Most are below 20 Billion.

My main concern is bloating (even before Peat, on Paleo I was just as bloated, but a lot leaner)...

Do you still take it and feel good? It's very easy to get, Amazon sell it, though they apparently need to be kept chilled so probably best to order direct.

3. Dante

Dante Member

No,it was a one time therapeutic tool and it was prescribed by a really good gastro MD (according to my opinion). It can cause bloating and loose stools initially as the bacteria ecosystem change(written on the prescription) .I wanted to point out the pit falls of long term antibiotic therapy which happened in my case as some people go overboard with being germ free. I can't give advice on whether someone should take it or not.

4. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

5. biggirlkisss

biggirlkisss Member

he thinks fragyl is toxic and mino much safer.

6. OP
    Nstocks

Nstocks Member

VSL3 came today, direct and shipped with ice pack.

I'm going to take one sachet per day for 3 days and if there's no side effects (more bloating or gas) I'll take the recommended 2 sachets per day (900 Billion CFU) until the sachets run out (20in total)

What's the recommended time of day to take these? Also, two doses or one huge dose?

7. OP
    Nstocks

Nstocks Member

After taking 20 sachets I DO FINALLY feel less bloated!

On top of that, after spending 8 years in education etc. I have finally landed my first job in Architecture!

Altering diet slightly (we only have one break) but I feel a lot leaner and my stomach will be flat in a month or so! Next is more protein and start to exercise.

I'll probably take more VSL3 early next year to keep things in better function.

8. Dante

Dante Member

@Nstocks , nice man , happy to see VSL#3 helped someone else but don't overdo it. You won't want too many bacteria in small intestine (good or bad), bacteria should stay only in the colon. Just take one capsule per day , i think you have got the sachet one which is far more potent but requires a med prescription in a lot of places

9. Joeyd

Joeyd Member

which website did you order from?

10. OP
    Nstocks

Nstocks Member

In the end I went for VSL3. I take a months worth every 6 months or so. Very good in my opinion

11. James b

James b Member

12. haidut

haidut Member

I personally don't like supplementing with bacteria and the only type that may be worth a shot are products with phages. There is a product Peat mentions called FlorAssist by LEF and if you Google it you will find where to buy it.

13. RisingSun

RisingSun Member

Would it be wise to only use probiotics through enemas to ensure they reach the colon only and don't cause SIBO?

14. OP
    Nstocks

Nstocks Member

Life Extension with Phage are doubler capsules to ensure they reach the colon.