Doxycyclin Massively Improved Digestion

milkboi

I took 100 mg Doxycyclin the first day, then 200 mg for the three days after.
Before I was constantly bloated, stomach aches were the norm, and 60-70% of the time I had diarrhea, plus the low-grade inflammation that comes with digestion problems.
Now all that's gone! I have 3-5 SOLID BM´s a day, no bloating most of the time, and no aches aswell. I would have been jealous of my current digestion just a few days ago!

Other aspects of health didn't improve tho, energy levels are still pretty sh*t. But I would guess an intact gut will long-term help big time in improving chronic inflammation, energy levels, brain fog etc.

So if you experience long-term digestive problems, don't be fooled by a lot of the alt-health-authorities, that tell you to just take some pre- and probiotics, take massive amounts of fiber and maybe some fish oil for the resulting inflammation (like I was), and consider taking a good antibiotic like Doxycyclin. :):

Runenight201

Interesting.

My digestion has always been subpar, but I do have a set of foods that work for me and give me good energy and nutrition. I’m interested to know if it would be possible to permanently fix digestion and then liberate the diet, but I suspect that certain foods always have problems no matter how healthy the individual. While they may digest well in healthy people, they could be contributing to negative health in other areas, such as energy, mood, hair/skin/nails, sleep, etc...

I second for doxy. 2 weeks x 200mg daily gave me massive improvements in GI tract and overall health. How long should I wait to repeat this regime? I think something like 6 months to be waited to do it again.

tankasnowgod

Makes a lot of sense. I would notice that an antibiotic like tetracycline followed by some activated charcoal would make some excellent improvements in digestion. I think it's certain substances that can slow down digestion, and lactic acid, serotonin, and endotoxin are the most common that are actually produced in the gut. My theory with the previous was kill off the bacteria, and sweep them and any by products of them out with the charcoal.

Digestion would usually return to sub par, but I think that was due to me eating problematic foods, specifically, too much yogurt (another source of lactic acid). Prolly will give this another go, especially now that I've eliminated the offending foods.

Another interesting thing Peat pointed out..... some bacteria species can be anti inflammatory, even if their dead. Their could be some benefit to taking dead probiotics, as you could get the anti inflammatory benefits, without the extra lactic acid/endotoxin/serotonin-

Probiotics- Better Off Dead. (And More Effective!)

OP
milkboi

milkboi

Interesting.

My digestion has always been subpar, but I do have a set of foods that work for me and give me good energy and nutrition. I’m interested to know if it would be possible to permanently fix digestion and then liberate the diet, but I suspect that certain foods always have problems no matter how healthy the individual. While they may digest well in healthy people, they could be contributing to negative health in other areas, such as energy, mood, hair/skin/nails, sleep, etc...

Hmm yeah, I don't really expect to be able to really eat "liberal" (aka shitty food); don't really have a problem with that. To me, whole, "peaty" foods are just more appetizing than the processed crap that makes the bulk of the modern diet.
Previously, before I took Doxy, I couldn't even really peaty food without stomach aches though. Anything gave me stomach aches, although milk always digested pretty well.

OP
milkboi

milkboi

I second for doxy. 2 weeks x 200mg daily gave me massive improvements in GI tract and overall health. How long should I wait to repeat this regime? I think something like 6 months to be waited to do it again.

Hmm, do you think there are benefits to taking it that long vs. only taking it for a few days like I did?
Regarding your q, maybe just take low doses every few weeks and see if your health stays optimal that way. If you see bad digestion creep back, then repeat the course. That's how I'm going to do it anyway. :):

OP
milkboi

milkboi

Makes a lot of sense. I would notice that an antibiotic like tetracycline followed by some activated charcoal would make some excellent improvements in digestion. I think it's certain substances that can slow down digestion, and lactic acid, serotonin, and endotoxin are the most common that are actually produced in the gut. My theory with the previous was kill off the bacteria, and sweep them and any by products of them out with the charcoal.

Digestion would usually return to sub par, but I think that was due to me eating problematic foods, specifically, too much yogurt (another source of lactic acid). Prolly will give this another go, especially now that I've eliminated the offending foods.

Another interesting thing Peat pointed out..... some bacteria species can be anti inflammatory, even if their dead. Their could be some benefit to taking dead probiotics, as you could get the anti inflammatory benefits, without the extra lactic acid/endotoxin/serotonin-

Probiotics- Better Off Dead. (And More Effective!)

Interesting! I still notice pretty significant inflammation after waking up (in my wrist), so this might be a worthwhile intervention.
I use charcoal too btw. Although for "hard cases" like me I think antibiotics are far the most effective tool. All the money for the L-Glutamine, Pro-/-Pre-biotics, resistant starch, digestive enzymes etc. supplements I bought over the last years could have been saved if I just took a course of Doxy....:facepalm: But yeah, the combo definitely rocks! :):

Hmm, do you think there are benefits to taking it that long vs. only taking it for a few days like I did?
Regarding your q, maybe just take low doses every few weeks and see if your health stays optimal that way. If you see bad digestion creep back, then repeat the course. That's how I'm going to do it anyway. :):

I explained this 2 weeks long regime im my log, check the link. I was trying to kill at least 3 bunnies in one shot. And I actually did. I didnt post the results in my log, but I will. I promise.
Surviving Multiple Health Issues In Brazil

opson123

A few years back I finally got my hands on tetracycline and was thrilled to finally clean my gut and kickstart my digestion. But just like all the other voodoo I've tried, it didn't work. Iirc tetracycline is weaker than doxycycline, so maybe I should try a stronger antibiotic. I'm trying something else to clean my gut atm, but if it fails, I'll probably try antibiotics again. Got nothing to lose.

A few years back I finally got my hands on tetracycline and was thrilled to finally clean my gut and kickstart my digestion. But just like all the other voodoo I've tried, it didn't work. Iirc tetracycline is weaker than doxycycline, so maybe I should try a stronger antibiotic. I'm trying something else to clean my gut atm, but if it fails, I'll probably try antibiotics again. Got nothing to lose.

What dosing regime did you use?

jzeno

@Noah Glanz

Is this a prescription? If no, which product do you use? More information on your diet during this period?

Cronometer.com to share your diet

Thanks

EIRE24

I took 100 mg Doxycyclin the first day, then 200 mg for the three days after.
Before I was constantly bloated, stomach aches were the norm, and 60-70% of the time I had diarrhea, plus the low-grade inflammation that comes with digestion problems.
Now all that's gone! I have 3-5 SOLID BM´s a day, no bloating most of the time, and no aches aswell. I would have been jealous of my current digestion just a few days ago!

Other aspects of health didn't improve tho, energy levels are still pretty sh*t. But I would guess an intact gut will long-term help big time in improving chronic inflammation, energy levels, brain fog etc.

So if you experience long-term digestive problems, don't be fooled by a lot of the alt-health-authorities, that tell you to just take some pre- and probiotics, take massive amounts of fiber and maybe some fish oil for the resulting inflammation (like I was), and consider taking a good antibiotic like Doxycyclin. :):
What were the stomach issues you had specifically?

OP
milkboi

milkboi

@Noah Glanz

Is this a prescription? If no, which product do you use? More information on your diet during this period?

Cronometer.com to share your diet

Thanks

Yes, like most antibiotics it is a prescription drug, at least in Germany/europ. I bought it from a website called "fernarzt" (just saw, they only ship within Germany). They give you a quiz for the symptoms of clamydia I think, you just have to confirm you got all of those (of course I had em all o_O). Then you get an online prescription, which is actually really expensive. And it seemed like it was done by a bot, because I got the prescription immediately lol. But I don't care, it was worth the 30 bucks.

My diet is very low fiber, which helped somewhat with my digestive problems. But I know for certain that my recent success is 100% attributable to the Doxy, so I don't think a SC of my Chronometer would help further the discussion. Although I love to talk about diet, so I'm tempted.... :p:

Last edited:

Henry

From my experience doxycycline is pretty caustic to the gut. If you dont watch out and dont stay upright after taking it or dont wash it down with pletty of fluid, you can develop painful esophagitis. While taking low-dose doxycycline for several months, I also developed long lasting bleeding hemorrhoids (likely also because i combined doxycycline with aspirin) that only vanished after stopping both doxycycline and aspirin.

Most observations occuring in the first week of taking something are placebo effects in my opinion (just my two cents).

From my experience doxycycline is pretty caustic to the gut. If you dont watch out and dont stay upright after taking it or dont wash it down with pletty of fluid, you can develop painful esophagitis. While taking low-dose doxycycline for several months, I also developed long lasting bleeding hemorrhoids (likely also because i combined doxycycline with aspirin) that only vanished after stopping both doxycycline and aspirin.

Most observations occuring in the first week of taking something are placebo effects in my opinion (just my two cents).
Maybe some cyproheptadine a few minutes before the doxycycline can help protect the gut?

EIRE24

Have you had esophagitis?

OP
milkboi

milkboi

True, I made the mistake of taking the doxy without any fluid. Pretty stupid looking back. :rolleyes: Good advice! My stomach hurt pretty bad while taking it. So do your homework before taking a powerful substance like Doxy!

But the after-effects are still fantastic! And no, no placebo. I think the consistency of BMs can't be influenced significantly by Placebo... :smug:

Next time I'm going to take it with some Glycine and plenty of fluid (maybe OJ + baking powder, so you get the benefits of the Vitamin C and sugar without excessive acidity).

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

I think this is a bizarre statement. It's pretty clear to me that an array of substances, ranging from food to vitamins to supplements to drugs, can have a noticeable and even measurable effect within minutes to hours. So, drinking a cup of hot coffee that warms you up within minutes is mere placebo, and you would have to wait at least a week to know if it works? The measurable increase in serum serotonin within hours of taking an SSRI is placebo? Taking an aspirin and getting relief from a headache or backache within hours is just placebo?

Of course, there can be different long term affects from a certain dose of something than there are acute. But in the case of antibiotics, most courses tend to be pretty short anyway (days to weeks, for the most part).

In fact, I would think, if anything, the opposite of that claim would be more likely- acute affects are likely to be much more dramatic, measurable and noticeable, and longer term, chronic effects are more likely to be due to placebo.

Last edited: