Are Egg Whites A Good Source Of Protein?

Lucenzo01

Limited budged right now, and I need a cheap source of protein. Can't digest milk, only greek yougurt and I am already tired of it. Can egg whites be a good option?

Elysium

They are a good source in that the protein is of high quality, but the amount is very low. Egg white from a single egg will barely have just over 3 grams of protein. That is quite little.

Eggs depending on where and how they were farmed can be a good source of poisons such as dioxins. Chickens are one of the most misserably treated farm animals in the world. Even if you dont care on the compation level (which sadly i dont) , you should care that this kind of mistreatment is directly reflected in the composition of the meat and eggs. I would not touch anything other than an organic chicken egg, and only from a country where the term 'organic' or 'bio' is not a joke. In many it is.

Herbie

I think its important to eat the whole egg.

What about making stews/casserole with chuck steak or other cheap cuts?

Abc123

Egg whites contain a lot of tryptophan. Its best to eat the whole egg. The yolk contains lots of B Vitamins, D, Choline and selenium.

DavidGardner

Maybe add gelatin as well to counterbalance the tryptophan. Whole eggs are one of my worst tolerated foods. Too much choline and not a very good balance of fats IMO.

JoeKool

Egg Whites are the best... buy them by the cartons at your supermarket... mix them in your shakes or smoothies... or add them to your regular eggs for something filling but not high in calories...

Protein – Which is Best?

There's a table there showing the bio value and Efficacy ... I prefer egg whites all day

Luann

Egg whites make me feel really good. Just added them back in though, so if the whites are problematic later I'll report back.

fradon

there was some info i read in the past about its bad to only eat egg whites for along period of time because it can cause some sort of b vitamin deficiency maybe biotin or something.

Xisca

Yes biotine, but only with raw egg white, and maybe only if the quantities of eggs are really big. would eat the whole egg, well, I do!
The yolk is very good in coffee... Mix when not too hot.

Then I scramble some whites with curcuma, and make some yellow dish!
Of course mousse au chocolat is yummy...

Syncopated

I have been separating the yolks and only eating the raw egg whites the last few months. Great sleep.

I wonder if the unsaturated fats in the yolk is what catalyses the tryptophan. I don't seem to be serotonin dominant when I separate the yolks.

Brain.Booster

There's plenty of nutrients in egg yolk! They're a decent source of protein if you eat quite a few eggs at once, but you'd need 4 or 5 eggs for a significant amount (one egg has around 6g and one white has a bit over 3)

RobertJM

Yolk = too much PUFA; too much choline (induces depressive moods for me); hard to tolerate for those with gallbladder/bile issues; toxic if cooked/scrambled

Whites = probably ok if raw; can induce biotin deficiency (can't remember if cooked or raw)

I personally think the lower amounts of protein could be beneficial. It's easy to get enough protein as it is, so the lower amounts in egg whites could be topped up by supplemental gelatin. If your protein source was mostly dairy, it can be too easy to overshoot on the protein. Your body can only process a certain amount at a time. Too much will tax the kidneys/liver/body with ammonia and other toxins produced from too much protein.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals