Living In Israel - Horrible Protein Options

Israelibacon

Long story short, I'm trying to follow a fairly Peat-ish diet, but the egg, meat, and dairy industry (for lack of a better term) suffers from major malfunctions.

Egg Production in Israel
Consumer Report: Meat

I am having trouble finding consumer reports regarding dairy, but needless to say that there is only one organic milk producer (Harduf) and the cows are fed on a steady diet of (probably)GMO-based soy and grain.

From the article, the sources of eggs are suspect, thus their diet is probably soy and grain once more.

Based off this, it seems like my only safe and inexpensive sources of protein is frozen beef and hydrolyzed collagen that I can order online. I can find shrimp, crab, and mussels from non-kosher markets, but they are greatly more expensive than the states.
I can find beef liver from the flea market, but can I utilize that everyday to meet my cholesterol and micro-nutrient requirements over eggs? Do eggs have anything beneficial over liver?

(I know my simplest solution would be to leave Israel, but unfortunately, I am here for 2 more years while I finish my degree).

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Gone Peating

Casein protein, potatoes, cheese imported from other countries, frozen beef should do the trick.

I imagine there is access to decent quality fish somewhere in your town that isn’t too expensive.

Maybe a higher carbohydrate diet for the time being to compensate for less protein.

postman

Cod is a pretty good protein source but I don't know how much it costs over there. Any low-fat fish should be an ok option, they are probably cheaper frozen.

Why don't you drink Harduf milk? Maybe I misunderstood you. In Europe and in USA organic means the cows mustn't be fed GMOs.

gaze

damn it would suck to live there. But yea, imported italian or french cheese should become your best friend. Lots of orange juice will also help due to the keto acids which act as protein. And you only need beef liver around once a week sometimes even less. That, along with the occasional shrimp will cover any nutrients you might be missing from eggs. You could also order crown prince oysters online

OP
I

Israelibacon

Casein protein, potatoes, cheese imported from other countries, frozen beef should do the trick.

I imagine there is access to decent quality fish somewhere in your town that isn’t too expensive.

Maybe a higher carbohydrate diet for the time being to compensate for less protein.

I'm trying to avoid local casein (cheeses) due to the suspecting quality of the livestock feed here.
I have found cheeses sourced from Greece under the brand, Euro Cheese. We'll see.
I veer on the side of a lower-fat diet composition, so most cheeses have to be under 9g fat/100g serving.

Cod is a pretty good protein source but I don't know how much it costs over there. Any low-fat fish should be an ok option, they are probably cheaper frozen.

Why don't you drink Harduf milk? Maybe I misunderstood you. In Europe and in USA organic means the cows mustn't be fed GMOs.

I didn't think of cod fish! Thanks!
It is somewhat cheaper. Any frozen food is cheaper here.
I don't drink Harduf milk because it's full fat and I tend to veer to a lower-fat diet (0.3g/lb body weight).
Israel does not have strict guidelines on what constitutes organic and non-organic. This is a country that still used DDTs well after Europe and the States banned its use.
Additionally, even if their cows are not fed GMOs, there is no guideline if they feed off soy, grain, or grass.

damn it would suck to live there. But yea, imported italian or french cheese should become your best friend. Lots of orange juice will also help due to the keto acids which act as protein. And you only need beef liver around once a week sometimes even less. That, along with the occasional shrimp will cover any nutrients you might be missing from eggs. You could also order crown prince oysters online

It does suck to live here (diet not included).
I try to drink 0.5-1L of OJ per day. Unfortunately due to the dietary laws, imported Italian meats are either 1) 2x more expensive than normal or are still loaded with nitrates.
You confirmed my suspicion about the nutrients in liver and shrimp. Plus going egg-less will afford me to go nearly PUFA-less, so win-win :):

Gone Peating

I'm trying to avoid local casein (cheeses) due to the suspecting quality of the livestock feed here.
I have found cheeses sourced from Greece under the brand, Euro Cheese. We'll see.
I veer on the side of a lower-fat diet composition, so most cheeses have to be under 9g fat/100g serving.

I didn't think of cod fish! Thanks!
It is somewhat cheaper. Any frozen food is cheaper here.
I don't drink Harduf milk because it's full fat and I tend to veer to a lower-fat diet (0.3g/lb body weight).
Israel does not have strict guidelines on what constitutes organic and non-organic. This is a country that still used DDTs well after Europe and the States banned its use.
Additionally, even if their cows are not fed GMOs, there is no guideline if they feed off soy, grain, or grass.

It does suck to live here (diet not included).
I try to drink 0.5-1L of OJ per day. Unfortunately due to the dietary laws, imported Italian meats are either 1) 2x more expensive than normal or are still loaded with nitrates.
You confirmed my suspicion about the nutrients in liver and shrimp. Plus going egg-less will afford me to go nearly PUFA-less, so win-win :):

Yea I would get out of Israel if I were you. It’s a messed up place

OP
I

Israelibacon

Yea I would get out of Israel if I were you. It’s a messed up place

Absolutely agreed. I immigrated here and then became involved in a psychology degree, so I have to finish it. Once that is complete, I am out. This place is nuts: people are rude, living conditions/hygiene are far below any American/European standard, and wages do not scale to the high cost of living (at least in Tel Aviv). I am not even mentioning the terrible "socialized" health care system here.

tara

Why not see how you fare eating the local dairy, if you handle that? Do you know it won't suit you, or just going on theory? It's probably not perfect, but they have keep the cattle alive and milkable, and the cattle have some capacity to handle and modify what they eat, so it may not be as bad as you fear.
A serving of liver weekly, or a smaller serving 2-3 times a week?
Eat the odd egg, just don't go overboard - 1/2 dozen a week, not 2 dozen.
Can you get good root veges and fruit?
Make fruit jellies for a little extra gelatine/collagen?
Do you know that you don't do well with well-prepared lentils or chickpeas once in a while for variety?

Last edited:

postman

Why not see how you fare eating the local dairy, if you handle that? Do you know it won't suit you, or just going on theory? It's probably not perfect, but they have keep the cattle alive and milkable, and the cattle have some capacity to handle and modify what they eat, so it may not be as bad as you fear.
A serving of liver weekly, or a smaller serving 2-3 times a week?
Eat the odd egg, just don't go overboard - 1/2 dozen a week, not dozen.
Can you get good root veges and fruit?
Make fruit jellies for a little extra gelatine/collagen?
Do you know that you don't do well with well-prepared lentils or chickpeas once in a while for variety?
I agree with this sentiment. Even if the cows are fed soy and corn, the milk will still be saturated because ruminants turn pufas into saturated fat.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals