Digestibility Of Cooked And Raw Egg Protein In Humans

Mito

“The true ileal digestibility of cooked and raw egg protein amounted to 90.9 ± 0.8 and 51.3 ± 9.8%, respectively.”

“After ingestion of the cooked egg protein meal, a substantial quantity of nitrogen was recovered in the ileal effluent over 24 h. The calculated yield of endogenous nitrogen (i.e., 0.40 g N) was close to the yield of 0.55 g N obtained by other researchers after ingestion of 17 g of pea protein (Gausserès et al. 1994). The calculated true ileal digestibility of cooked egg protein amounted to 91%. This finding demonstrates that even cooked egg protein, which has generally been considered to be easily digestible, is malabsorbed to some extent after ingestion of a physiologic load. Incomplete assimilation of dietary protein may have important consequences not only from a nutritional point of view, but also from a gastrointestinal point of view. Indeed, some metabolites resulting from bacterial fermentation of malabsorbed proteins in the colon have been implicated in the ethiopathogenesis of diseases such as colonic cancer and ulcerative colitis (Macfarlane and Cummings 1991, Pitcher and Cummings 1994, Visek 1978). It has already been reported extensively that food processing can influence protein digestibility both beneficially and detrimentally (Öste 1991). Egg white protein is generally considered to be less digestible than heat-pretreated egg white protein. However, no data are available concerning the magnitude of this impairment in vivo. In this study, it was shown that after ingestion of 25 g of raw egg protein, almost 50% is malabsorbed over 24 h. The higher digestibility of cooked egg protein presumably results from structural changes in the protein molecule induced by heating, thereby enabling the digestive enzymes to gain broader access to the peptide bonds. It has been suggested that the reduced digestibility of raw egg white is at least partially related to the presence of trypsin inhibitors in raw egg white (Matthews 1990). Ovomucoid is quantitatively the most important trypsin inhibitor (Gilbert 1971, Kassell 1970). Ovomucoid, however, does not react with human trypsin and, moreover, is relatively heat stable (Kasell 1970). Whether other egg trypsin inhibitors (e.g., ovoinhibitor or papain inhibitor) interfere with the digestibility of unprocessed egg white protein is unknown.”

Digestibility of Cooked and Raw Egg Protein in Humans as Assessed by Stable Isotope Techniques

RisingSun

Very interesting find, thank you.

So cooked eggs are more digestible than raw eggs, but raw milk more digestible than pasteurized « cooked » milk.
I wish nature was more simple sometimes

baccheion

If just the yolk is consumed (raw), utilization is near 100%. Raw whites are what lower the number to 51%, as almost none is absorbed. Whites are also the source of many issues associated with eggs (biotin binding, allergy, sulfur gassings, etc).

Dave Clark

I know for myself, raw eggs are problematic in terms of digestion. I decided a few years ago that I was going to put some of my pastured raw egg yolks in a shake that I sometime make with collagen and some other things. A few times I did okay, then many other times my gut would gurgle and give me indigestion. I can eat cooked eggs with no issues, but it seems like raw eggs challenge my digestion. So, I believe there is something to the idea that raw eggs don't digest well, of course this is just my personal experience.

Inaut

@lampofred has said that a raw egg white is almost more beneficial to the gut (in terms of sterilizing effect) than the yolk. I have one whole raw egg and two yolks followed by OJ in the morning. I seem to be doing ok so far but that's just my anecdotal experience.

lampofred

@lampofred has said that a raw egg white is almost more beneficial to the gut (in terms of sterilizing effect) than the yolk. I have one whole raw egg and two yolks followed by OJ in the morning. I seem to be doing ok so far but that's just my anecdotal experience.

Did I say that? Oops I meant raw eggs in general are beneficial to the gut and that I think the white has useful nutrients that work in combo with the yolk even though the dominant opinion on here seems to be that the yolk is the only beneficial part and the white is too high in tryptophan.

Inaut

Did I say that? Oops I meant raw eggs in general are beneficial to the gut and that I think the white has useful nutrients that work in combo with the yolk even though the dominant opinion on here seems to be that the yolk is the only beneficial part and the white is too high in tryptophan.

Maybe I misunderstood. Sorry if I misquoted

Vinny

So, in what way exactly are raw eggs beneficial to the gut?
Thanks

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals