Question About Egg Whites

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hello all,

I have a question about eggs. A friend of mine is allergic to egg yolks but NOT allergic to egg whites. Quite the opposite to what one would expect. She is protein deficient, as confirmed by multiple nitrogen tests and wants to "load-up" on protein. I know Ray is not a fan off egg whites due to the high tryptophan contents, but I cannot seem to find reliable data to confirm his views. A number of "official" sources lists tryptophan content of egg whites as quite acceptable and certainly lower than other proteins like meat and fish, while other more scientific sources either don't list tryptophan at all (due to de-denaturation and destruction during study) or also give low values.
Can someone please clarify this for me? Has anyone exchanged emails with Peat about this? I feel like he must have a reason to avoid egg whites but still be pro-eggs if it is the whole egg.
Here are some of my sources.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dai ... ucts/112/2
http://www.eggnation.co.uk/index.php?ro ... ticle_id=9
http://journals.cambridge.org/download. ... b408d36660

Mittir

RP has said same thing about other muscle meats having high tryptophan.
His solution is to eat extra gelatin with tryptophan rich protein in the same meal.
Same thing should be applicable to egg white. He talked about allergenic protein
in egg white and it's binding minerals. Though egg yolk and egg white both have
similar ratio of tryptophan, RP thinks egg yolk is a good protein. He did not say
that egg yolk is low in tryptophan. But egg yolk is high in PUFA
so it can not be a major source of protein. I vaguely remember him mentioning that
egg white is there to protect the egg yolk and that is the reason for it having
allergenic protein. I have read cooking supposed to deactivate some of the
problem related to allergenic proteins. Gelatine plus egg white should solve the
tryptophan problem.

jyb

It's not just the amount of tryptophan, but how it peaks in the serum. Or something like that. I can't find the study I have in mind but it's somewhere on the forum.

Stilgar

Isn't there also the issue of the insulinogenic effects caused by the high leucine content in egg whites, that might induce hypoglycaemia in sensitive individuals. You'd need a heck of a lot of sugar to balance out the egg whites if they were a major protein source.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Stilgar said:
Isn't there also the issue of the insulinogenic effects caused by the high leucine content in egg whites, that might induce hypoglycaemia in sensitive individuals. You'd need a heck of a lot of sugar to balance out the egg whites if they were a major protein source.

Yes, egg whites have high leucine and they certainly require sugar due to balance that. They also have high levels of isolecine and valie, which are the other BCAAs. This means that with so much BCAA, the tryptophan gets more than balanced and does not get to convert into much serotonin.
Btw, I found another thread where someone quoted Peat saying egg whites are fine and tryptophan contents is indeed low, and it was the blood sugar drop he was worried about.
So, all in all, eggs are a fine source of protein.
Incidentally, yogurt and cheese will cause similar drop in blood sugar compared to eggs. So, Peat's caution about eggs also applies to milk products where the lactose has been depleted due to fermentation or enzyme reaction.

Spokey

Egg whites are very high in methionine, which doesn't seem ideal.

Syncopated

The majority of volume of eggs is found in the yolks. Also, raw egg whites are very concentrated sources of nutrients including bio-available sodium. All the dioxins and commercial estrogens of eggs are found in the yolks. Raw egg whites are easy to digest.

I would be most interested to compare the ratio of tryptophan to glycine in a raw egg white. Cancel

Waynish

I would focus on the allergy aspect of this, or "so-called" allergy - if it doesn't exist in Peat terms. Regardless of mechanism, they're quite a real phenomena. One thing for people allergic to random things to look into is if it was in a vaccine they had. With eggs, for example, many vaccines included chicken egg proteins along with aluminum and adjuvants! Recovering from such "vaccine damage" is probably closer to the root of the issue.

Syncopated

Detoxifying aluminum is more important than other vaccine myths. T3 with pulsed DC at 30,000 hz at 10 volts stimulates immunity; i.e. white blood cell phagocytosis to detoxifying any vaccine pollution.

Waynish

Detoxifying aluminum is more important than other vaccine myths. T3 with pulsed DC at 30,000 hz at 10 volts stimulates immunity; i.e. white blood cell phagocytosis to detoxifying any vaccine pollution.

Don't we need more than frequency? At what power is this signal?

Sherbert

Hello all,

I have a question about eggs. A friend of mine is allergic to egg yolks but NOT allergic to egg whites. Quite the opposite to what one would expect. She is protein deficient, as confirmed by multiple nitrogen tests and wants to "load-up" on protein. I know Ray is not a fan off egg whites due to the high tryptophan contents, but I cannot seem to find reliable data to confirm his views. A number of "official" sources lists tryptophan content of egg whites as quite acceptable and certainly lower than other proteins like meat and fish, while other more scientific sources either don't list tryptophan at all (due to de-denaturation and destruction during study) or also give low values.
Can someone please clarify this for me? Has anyone exchanged emails with Peat about this? I feel like he must have a reason to avoid egg whites but still be pro-eggs if it is the whole egg.
Here are some of my sources.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dai ... ucts/112/2
http://www.eggnation.co.uk/index.php?ro ... ticle_id=9
http://journals.cambridge.org/download. ... b408d36660
(i know ten year after reply 😃) ...
it might just be that he somehow gauged the correct amount by himself the same way he would write, for example, that nutrition charts aren't accurate, that they underreport the amount of protein in potatoes.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals