• Due to excessive bot signups along with nefarious actors we are limiting forum registration. Keep checking back for the register link to appear. Please do not send emails or have someone post to the forum asking for a signup link. Until the current climate changes we do not see a change of this policy. To join the forum you must have a compelling reason. Letting us know what skills/knowledge you will bring to the community along with the intent of your stay here will help in getting you approved.

Anyone tried Vitamin K2 MK-9?

Electrisio

I'm currently taking K2 MK4 with my D3 as I don't tolerate MK7 very well. However, three times a day dosing isn't ideal so I am going to try out some K2 MK9 I've found online. As I don't tolerate MK7 (palpitations, anxiety etc) like many people, I am going to start with a small dose, especially as it's a long half-life supplement. Anyone ever used MK9? There is very little information on it online, although it is in a few popular multi K2 supplements.

Electrisio

Interestingly the vendor I am using just said they selling their stock and leaving it at that. Apparently, the EU has deemed MK9 unsuitable.

haidut

I'm currently taking K2 MK4 with my D3 as I don't tolerate MK7 very well. However, three times a day dosing isn't ideal so I am going to try out some K2 MK9 I've found online. As I don't tolerate MK7 (palpitations, anxiety etc) like many people, I am going to start with a small dose, especially as it's a long half-life supplement. Anyone ever used MK9? There is very little information on it online, although it is in a few popular multi K2 supplements.
There is no need to take MK-4 several times daily. The studies about its half-life only measured concentrations in blood, not in tissues. Just like steroids, MK-4 accumulates in tissues (especially brain, bones, liver, heart, gonads, etc) and has been found in significant concentrations in tissues months after even a single dose. Also, MK-4 metabolizes into several other versions (that can back-convert into MK-4 as needed), including vitamin K3 (which itself has a vitamin K activity even without conversion in any of the MK-X varieties), and the studies analyzing half-life of MK-4 never checked the concentrations of those metabolites. All in all, most studies about serum half-life in regards to steroids and fat-soluble vitamins are close to useless as those chemicals accumulate in tissues and have been shown to persist there for months (or even years).

JamesGatz

There is no need to take MK-4 several times daily. The studies about its half-life only measured concentrations in blood, not in tissues. Just like steroids, MK-4 accumulates in tissues (especially brain, bones, liver, heart, gonads, etc) and has been found in significant concentrations in tissues months after even a single dose. Also, MK-4 metabolizes into several other versions (that can back-convert into MK-4 as needed), including vitamin K3 (which itself has a vitamin K activity even without conversion in any of the MK-X varieties), and the studies analyzing half-life of MK-4 never checked the concentrations of those metabolites. All in all, most studies about serum half-life in regards to steroids and fat-soluble vitamins are close to useless as those chemicals accumulate in tissues and have been shown to persist there for months (or even years).
So then would it be useless or even harmful to take it for long periods of time ? this is very interesting

Amazoniac

Jorge, it might apply to someone that's healthy and without extraordinary demands such as killciol supplementation.

- Comparative Metabolism of Phylloquinone and Menaquinone-9 in Rat Liver

"Although long-chain menaquinones are known to be biologically active forms of vitamin K, their importance in human and animal nutrition has been difficult to assess. The relatively high level of long-chain menaquinones in human liver (7, 18) and their low concentration in the diet would suggest that their turnover might be much slower than that of phylloquinone. The direct comparison of the metabolism of phylloquinone and MK-9 reported here has clearly demonstrated this difference and has also illustrated the enhanced biological activity of phylloquinone compared with MK-9 as a dietary source of the vitamin. The data in Figures 1 and 3 are insufficient to calculate an accurate turnover rate, but suggest a half-life in liver of between 10 and 12 h for phylloquinone, and ~24 h for MK-9. These data also indicate the care that must be used in any attempts to correlate plasma or liver concentrations of vitamin K with dietary intake. Because of the rapidity with which the vitamin is metabolized, relatively short alterations in feeding and fasting schedules have a profound effect on liver vitamin concentrations."​

For mk-4, this tissue half-life is possibly shorter than that of pk, leaving a narrow window for repletion if taken at once. It may be argued that it's the activity that matters and disappearance from tissues is after exerting the effects, making renewal indifferent, but how to explain the positive response to a second or third dose in a day?