Anyone Taking Succinic Acid

Light

I've started experimenting after hearing Haidut's and Danny Roddy's excellent podcast. Just to see how it goes. 300mg a few times a day.
I took 300mg, once to 3 times a day,
It greately diminished a pain on the upper left side of my belly (I think kidney) that I had for 3 years,
but the price was a horrible brain fog, with very blurry vision.
When used topically on face I think it made my skin look better, younger, and with none of the side effects.

Vinny

I took 300mg, once to 3 times a day,
It greately diminished a pain on the upper left side of my belly (I think kidney) that I had for 3 years,
but the price was a horrible brain fog, with very blurry vision.
Perhaps you took too much? Did you try reducing the dose?
I,ve purchased some SA, will arrive by the end of the month, curious how,ll work on me.
I,ve also got upper left belly pain, btw...

Light

Perhaps you took too much? Did you try reducing the dose?
I,ve purchased some SA, will arrive by the end of the month, curious how,ll work on me.
I,ve also got upper left belly pain, btw...
It might have been too large a dose for me,
I also have some background brain fog so that the SA didn't create a new problem, it just exacerbated an existing one.
I think haidut really likes it as a supplement and has it in some of his products so i'm sure it can have more positive effects on some people, it just wasn't right for me.
Good luck with your order of SA and please write a post when you have experimented with it,
I'de be especially interested to know what happens to the belly pain.

Vinny

It might have been too large a dose for me,
I also have some background brain fog so that the SA didn't create a new problem, it just exacerbated an existing one.
I think haidut really likes it as a supplement and has it in some of his products so i'm sure it can have more positive effects on some people, it just wasn't right for me.
Good luck with your order of SA and please write a post when you have experimented with it,
I'de be especially interested to know what happens to the belly pain.
Thanks, I,ll post if I have whatever results.
Generally, Im a bad responder to supplements.

Vinny

Light

Succinic acid Is feeding your microbiomes, the good or the bad ones.
Oh wow, that's an important piece of information that I didn't know while taking SA.
I did have pretty good results with topical SA, and pretty bad results with oral SA,
I though it was down to difference in dosage but maybe gut bacteria played a part too.
I'll definitely give topical another try now,
Thank you so much for posting that @Broken man

Vinny

I did have pretty good results with topical SA, and pretty bad results with oral SA,
I though it was down to difference in dosage but maybe gut bacteria played a part too.
I'll definitely give topical another try now,
How do you use it topically?

Light

How do you use it topically?
Dissolve in water and use on my face.
I only did it a few times and really liked the way my skin looked anf felt the next day,
I wonder what long term use would do.
I did see an article about using it in anti aging cosmetics -
But only in lower concentrations, because in high concentrations it can lead to burns.

Sativa

Haidut's insight on Succinic acid & dose...
[Ray Peat's] earlier writings on [succinic acid] being highly protective and when asked about a dose he said 300mg twice daily. The original recommendation was not in regards to lead chelation though, just as a general metabolic booster.
See below for some references.
Succinic Acid Supplementation

Here are his comments on it for chelation.
New Ray Peat Discussion thread - Page 11
"...To safely remove heavy metals, use succinic acid as the sodium or magnesium salt (sodium or magnesium succinate). It is classified as a food, is an antioxidant (anti-free radicals) and stimulates respiration in addition to being a chelator. Succinic acid will suck out Al non toxically. Magnesium or sodium + succinic acid should chelate mercury. No side effects. The last resort is penicillamine. Good for all heavy metals but not as safe as succinic acid. According to Dr. Ray Peat, succinic acid as the sodium or magnesium salt (sodium or magnesium succinate) is the safest chelating agent, with penicillamine being next. In the 1930â??s, Szent-Gyorgyi showed that succinate stimulated cell respiration. In the 1980â??s other researchers reported that it stimulates pregnenolone production in the adrenal glands. Succinic acid is a good food, is crucial to the Krebs cycle (essential for energy), speeds it up by stimulating respiration and is thus similar to the thyroid hormone. Pure succinic acid or succinate (not DMSA) can be used either orally or intravenously. It has no harmful effects to the mitochondria (as does EDTA). Succinate has been shown to remove aluminum and lead. There is no reason not to believe that it will also take out other heavy metals, including mercury and iron, but I have no references on this. It would be great if someone would do a study on this. Peat says succinic acid works orally so I would choose to do oral rather than intravenous chelation therapy. His recommended dosage is 200 mg twice daily but please put the succinic acid in a capsule, otherwise, it will suck calcium out of your teeth. Peat says that it may take a week or so to clean out the heavy metals."

"...Succinate does not suck calcium from the blood, but helps carry it. Plus, it stimulates respiration and helps deposit calcium in bones while taking it out of soft tissues. It simulates carbon dioxide production which increases oxygen in the body. CaCO3 is the starting material for hydroxyappetite (bone substance)."

As far as I remember, his specific rationale in favor of succinic acid is it stimulating pregnenolone synthesis in the adrenals. Here is one of his newsletter where he talks about that.
https://www.toxinless.com/ray-peat-the-generality-of-adaptogens.pdf
"...Filatov found that stressed tissues of both plants and animals produce protective and stimulating substances, which can be extracted for medical use. He identified succinic acid as a component of his extracts. Szent-Gyorgyi found that succinic acid stimulates respiration, which might explain why it promotes synthesis of pregnenolone and related steroids. It and fumaric acid are now considered to be adaptogens. Since succinic acid safely chelates toxic heavy metals out of mitochondria, it might also safely carry copper into the mitochondria. Succinic acid is also closely associated with GABA metabolism (gamma-amino butyric acid is converted to succinic semialdehyde in a transamination reaction), and so is probably complementary to the GABA analogs GHB (gamma-hydroxy butyrate) and its lactone (which has anti-viral activity). GABA analogs are now one of the most actively studied classes of adaptogens. GABA has a wide range of stress-blocking actions, including neural inhibition, progesterone promotion, and blood sugar regulation."

Vinny

postman

Dissolve in water and use on my face.
I only did it a few times and really liked the way my skin looked anf felt the next day,
I wonder what long term use would do.
I did see an article about using it in anti aging cosmetics -
But only in lower concentrations, because in high concentrations it can lead to burns.
What succinic acid are you using? Mine is not really soluble in water...

Sativa

react pure succinic acid with sodium bicarbonate, which will fizz and form Sodium Succinate, which is fully water soluble.

Light

I ordered it on Alibaba.com.
It's still grainy so it's like a peeling mask.
react pure succinic acid with sodium bicarbonate, which will fizz and form Sodium Succinate, which is fully water soluble.
Good tip, will try it next time

accelerator

Equal amounts by volume must be pretty close to that ratio, because the magnesium carbonate only has a tiny to no amount left after reacting.

Another thing I noticed is most potent results are on an empty stomach. It speeds up bowel transit and makes a better formed cleaner stool. Wonder if that’s because it’s delivering the magnesium and succinic acid directly to the intestine and increasing ATP? If so its amazing that it takes so little. Only about 40mg of magnesium and 250 mg succinic acid. It’s probably one of the cheapest and most effective things I’ve tried with supplements.

It absolutely has removed chronic gut inflammation for me. Gut is perfectly flat now, except for the small layer of belly fat I still have. It’s really nice not having a protruding gut anymore and feel like most things digest well.

Very cool. How long after first taking it did you notice such things?

accelerator

Equal amounts by volume must be pretty close to that ratio, because the magnesium carbonate only has a tiny to no amount left after reacting.

Another thing I noticed is most potent results are on an empty stomach. It speeds up bowel transit and makes a better formed cleaner stool. Wonder if that’s because it’s delivering the magnesium and succinic acid directly to the intestine and increasing ATP? If so its amazing that it takes so little. Only about 40mg of magnesium and 250 mg succinic acid. It’s probably one of the cheapest and most effective things I’ve tried with supplements.

It absolutely has removed chronic gut inflammation for me. Gut is perfectly flat now, except for the small layer of belly fat I still have. It’s really nice not having a protruding gut anymore and feel like most things digest well.

That's awesome!
So many people have constant gut issues.

Can magnesium glycinate be used, or does it have to be carbonate?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals