Aging Fast & Alien Confusion

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I have some frieen lifting since their 20s. Now in their 50s, all that muscle that looked so good to them back then is now sagging skin underlain with fat. And still they go to the gym and lift. I developed an abhorrence for gym in my fascist junior high school, so thankfully never went down that road. Just getting out and doing physical things, walking, working on a garden and all that stuff, has taken far less a toll on my body than the gym seems to have on theirs.
I hear you on that Doc! It reminds me of all those women buying into that "Oil Of Olay" cream deceit, slathering on all that aging mineral oil, thinking they were gonna end up better in the end, only to achieve just the opposite, and still, no matter, they slather and run those treadmills!

akgrrrl

This is the most relevant part, assuming you miss-spelt stiffer. The most stiff people are the gym bros, and while they are proud how much they can lift, the first result of this acquired imbalance is MPB, the second much later is heightened PSA. Prostate issues for real start much later, but many don't even get to that point because after diagnosed PSA they get destroyed by doctor treatment.

The basis of your health is fascial fluidity (which means intact posture), and continually repeating same movement in a bench with ever increasing weights is the best method to misadapt your body. It is not bad as one exercise among natural movement based ones, but i guarantee you that it is slow suicide to think only going to the gym lifting weights is going to keep you healthy.
Oh I just love this thread! And your post pointing out maladaption. Does anyone remember the formula once offered I think by a Doc on tv show Dr Oz, who pointed out that men who bodybuild, for every 30lbs over the weight that their frame was built to carry, lose an inch in the penis? Haaaaah maladaption

OP
Rinse & rePeat
What do you mean?
Running on a treadmill would be that "breathless exercise" Ray Peat is talking about in his statement and the reasons for hypothyroidism and accelerating aging. I don't think our "cravings" has been a great measure of our health and what we should be doing, with peanut butter, bacon, running and such. It is more of what got is in our mess in the first place. Looking at it now, with the eyes wide open knowledge of how things work, and it's cause and effect, we can enjoy those unhealthy things as much as we like. We just shouldn't be fooling ourselves anymore thinking we are doing ourselves any favors.
What do you mean?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Running on a treadmill would be that "breathless exercise" Ray Peat is talking about in his statement and the reasons for hypothyroidism and accelerating aging. I don't think our "cravings" has been a great measure of our health and what we should be doing, with peanut butter, bacon, running and such. It is more of what got is in our mess in the first place. Looking at it now, with the eyes wide open knowledge of how things work, and it's cause and effect, we can enjoy those unhealthy things as much as we like. We just shouldn't be fooling ourselves anymore thinking we are doing ourselves any favors.
....and to your point point about children and running, that is why we yell, "Jonny slow down you're gonna hurt yourself"!

OccamzRazer

Oh I just love this thread! And your post pointing out maladaption. Does anyone remember the formula once offered I think by a Doc on tv show Dr Oz, who pointed out that men who bodybuild, for every 30lbs over the weight that their frame was built to carry, lose an inch in the penis? Haaaaah maladaption
oh my goodness...what if that's more of a correlation than causation? In other words, maybe the muscle-bound dudes were lacking in other areas from the start, making them insecure enough to try to compensate? Idk.

There may also be a solid correlation between the amount of lift on one's trucks and their **** size. ?

OccamzRazer

Oh my gosh I laughed out loud reading your comment OccamzRazer! Funny you don't see to many elderly people there, probably cause they finally wised up :D
Glad you found it amusing!

lol you know it was actually a collection of nominds of all ages who were running on the treadmills.

Some young, some old, some cute, some very overweight...but all worshipping the Wearing of the Masks.

Making matters even more painful to observe, it was actually a kind of nice day. NO IDEA why these people weren't just walking outside.

OccamzRazer

I have some friends who have been lifting since their 20s. Now in their 50s, all that muscle that looked so good to them back then is now sagging skin underlain with fat. And still they go to the gym and lift. I developed an abhorrence for gym in my fascist junior high school, so thankfully never went down that road. Just getting out and doing physical things, walking, working on a garden and all that stuff, has taken far less a toll on my body than the gym seems to have on theirs.
I've noticed this too. Lotsa people who used to lift heavy begin looking old and 'deflated' as early as 50. Glad you were spared from this fate!

The only thing is that lifting seemed to have a youthful, not aging, effect on the bodybuilders of the 1940s and 1950s.

My theory is that exercise is yet another thing made conditionally harmful by excitatory amino acids and PUFA. But I'm biased so who knows.

akgrrrl

oh my goodness...what if that's more of a correlation than causation? In other words, maybe the muscle-bound dudes were lacking in other areas from the start, making them insecure enough to try to compensate? Idk.

There may also be a solid correlation between the amount of lift on one's trucks and their **** size. ?
Funny. As I recall, the warning was speaking to overmuscled bulk vs frame, the "for every 30# an inch reduction" the only part I remembered, as I was lifting at the time, and saw a LOT of competitions, always made me wonder.
Otherwise, overcompensation for inadequencies is the hallmark of male posturing and overt presentation whether verbal or demonstrative, which women often confuse as alpha attributes.

SamYo123

That looks pretty cool. I think our member Hans D'Amato and his Men-elite fitness is working on this with some new science discovery recently made
Functional patterns is the "peaty" version of exercise

TheSir

Running on a treadmill would be that "breathless exercise" Ray Peat is talking about in his statement and the reasons for hypothyroidism and accelerating aging.
If you enjoy it and if it isn't causing you an excess of stress, it would be in accordance to Peat's bioenergetic principles.

I don't think our "cravings" has been a great measure of our health and what we should be doing
They largely are though, do you think your mind knows better than your body? Eating supposedly unhealthy food you enjoy is better than eating supposedly healthy food you hate -- this is the Peatarian view. In general though, the foods you enjoy eating are exactly the foods you should be eating in the first place, given that we're talking about real foods. Your cravings are not arbitrary.

akgrrrl

If you enjoy it and if it isn't causing you an excess of stress, it would be in accordance to Peat's bioenergetic principles.

They largely are though, do you think your mind knows better than your body? Eating supposedly unhealthy food you enjoy is better than eating supposedly healthy food you hate -- this is the Peatarian view. In general though, the foods you enjoy eating are exactly the foods you should be eating in the first place, given that we're talking about real foods. Your cravings are not arbitrary.
helpful knowledgable post with the punchline>>>>>>>>
"given that we're talking about real food"
Just mentioning this because 16yrs teaching health classes, 90% of adults think they know but dont. How can this be changed?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
helpful knowledgable post with the punchline>>>>>>>>
"given that we're talking about real food"
Just mentioning this because 16yrs teaching health classes, 90% of adults think they know but dont. How can this be changed?
That is exactly right! That food pyramid was our downfall too. Really 6-11 servings of grains, in a day?!! What is your new take on P.E. classes?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Funny. As I recall, the warning was speaking to overmuscled bulk vs frame, the "for every 30# an inch reduction" the only part I remembered, as I was lifting at the time, and saw a LOT of competitions, always made me wonder.
Otherwise, overcompensation for inadequencies is the hallmark of male posturing and overt presentation whether verbal or demonstrative, which women often confuse as alpha attributes.
Do those ridiculously tricked out tiny trucks on big wheels, we see occasionally see driving around town, fall into that catergory akgrrrl? :D

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I've noticed this too. Lotsa people who used to lift heavy begin looking old and 'deflated' as early as 50. Glad you were spared from this fate!

The only thing is that lifting seemed to have a youthful, not aging, effect on the bodybuilders of the 1940s and 1950s.

My theory is that exercise is yet another thing made conditionally harmful by excitatory amino acids and PUFA. But I'm biased so who knows.
I am sure those body builders of the olden days weathered better because they used better sources of protein, gulping down a dozen beautifully fed chicken eggs and other high quality proteins, feeding their skin, making their skin more forgiving and flexible. I don't see lifting falling into the "breathless exercise" catergory. There is certainly stress involved lifting weights and lactic acid galore, but they use their protein to build not to burn. The difference between a runner and a bodybuilder is no competition.

akgrrrl

That is exactly right! That food pyramid was our downfall too. Really 6-11 servings of grains, in a day?!! What is your new take on P.E. classes?
While I would still like to address food: teaching how to select per seasons, testing for ripeness,clues to industry tampering ( can we know if irradiated?) How to store, how to prepare, how to preserve...
Of course we also much teach body mechanics, ergonomic movement, and joy of expression as thru dance. All these elements should be presented during the formative years of education for lifelong appreciation of movement and the development of natural skills. Sitting still as an observer has proven deleterious to health, creativity, and motivation. I love my regulation tetherball pole in the front yard.

OP
Rinse & rePeat

Oh funny! I just said the same thing about the trucks before I read yours! It is so nice to hear others thinking the same things I have thought for so long. I can see why men do all of it, and God bless them for trying to impress us women, but I personally always thought brains are much sexier than brawn.

akgrrrl

Do those ridiculously tricked out tiny trucks on big wheels, we see occasionally see driving around town, fall into that catergory akgrrrl? :D
Haaaaaah! Too funny eh? Unless a rig is modified for mud bogging or beachbugging as a specific activity it does defy decades of careful engineering doesnt it? There appear to be different versions. I know a guy that bought a huge gas guzzler truck full bed length and extended crew cab. It was dark green. He lived in a town apartment, drove3.5 miles to work, wasnt hauling any crew, didnt even have a dog. I asked if he wanted to go to the beach with me one day, no we would be taking my old 86 Dodge 4x4 beater truck, that big green penis you drive wouldnt make it past the dunes...
He sold it

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals