11 year olds, huge constipation issues

Nokoni

And coconut oil
Good to know. Don't know which is preferable in a chronic use situation, should that ever become necessary (assuming equal effectiveness). Maybe alternating would be a good strategy.

OP
Henriette93

Henriette93

also:

I know I keep pointing out the idea of a thiamine deficiency/functional blockage as potentially the problem but there are a few things here that point to it: constipation, adhd, autism, antibiotic use early on. Many antibiotics block thiamine function.

suggested reading:
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale's book

Eating a "Peat friendly" diet means different things to different people. A lot of people think that it means it's fine to eat sugar and sugary things. But sugar consumption can exacerbate a thiamine problem.
Thanks, I'll look into this. Been giving them Energin the last few days, and we're going to see the doctor tomorrow.

Their diet for the last 6 months or so mostly consist of:
* 3-5 fruits every day (organic, mostly clementines, kiwi, bananas. Apples, dates and pears occasionally)
* 3 cups of organic milk (but trying to slow down on the milk right now, to see if that helps for the constipation)
* 1-2 cups of OJ or applejuice, fresh
* 1 Yoghurt (in lack of a better option for school lunch, since we're trying to avoid gluten. Fruits and milk also at school)
* For dinner I usually make red meat, liver once a week (usually hide it in meatballs etc since we don't like the taste), pork occasionally, oxtail soup, bone broth, fish cakes with cod and haddock, meatballs with grassfed minced meat and liver, chicken soup, stew (bone broth, red meat, potatoes, carrots) etc.
* 1-2 eggs daily
* Organic oatmeals occasionally, usually cooking it with milk and cane sugar, and some butter

I make everything myself and I buy mostly organic, and recently I've started to buy grassfed red meat from a local farmer. We usually have potatoes with the meat; cooked, fried (with butter/olive oil) and cooked or fried root vegetables.
They drink coke (with real sugar) with dinner. They also get collagen in their OJ most days, 1-2 ts. Trying to give them 1 ts of coconut oil every day.

Most sugar comes from fruit or fruit juices, but they also get cane sugar. They also eat raw honey, but not every day. Some candy on saturdays (recently learned about high fructose corn sirup, and trying to avoid that aswell now).
I've also quit buying soaps/cleaners/skincare/deodorants/laundry detergent etc, making everything myself. Or buying alternatives without hormone disruptors and other nasty stuff. All plastics are being replaced with glass/metal/natural fabrics etc, but this will take some time, as we're not rich. Using most of our money on food and these kind of things these days..

It's hard to put together a meal plan that works for everyone, but I think I'm starting to get some good routines on food now. Feel free to comment if anyone think I should add/remove something.

OP
Henriette93

Henriette93

Do your sons suffer any other symptoms such as waking during the night needing to pee, cold extremities, anxiety, dry skin and/or other skin conditions such as eczema? Since you are slightly hypothyroid, you may find it useful to check their temps first thing in the morning and after they eat to see if their warmth is the result of good thyroid function or adrenaline compensating for poor thyroid function.
Yes, they wake up at night to pee and/or drink. They often have nightmares, not sure if that's what's waking them up. I'll check their temps. They don't have any skin conditions, but they can have dry skin from time to time.

ivy

Thanks, I'll look into this. Been giving them Energin the last few days, and we're going to see the doctor tomorrow.

* 3-5 fruits every day (organic, mostly clementines, kiwi, bananas. Apples, dates and pears occasionally)
* 3 cups of organic milk (but trying to slow down on the milk right now, to see if that helps for the constipation)
* 1 Yoghurt (in lack of a better option for school lunch, since we're trying to avoid gluten. Fruits and milk also at school)
* For dinner I usually make red meat, liver once a week (usually hide it in meatballs etc since we don't like the taste), pork occasionally, oxtail soup, bone broth, fish cakes with cod and haddock, meatballs with grassfed minced meat and liver, chicken soup, stew (bone broth, red meat, potatoes, carrots) etc.
* 1-2 eggs daily
* Organic oatmeals occasionally, usually cooking it with milk and cane sugar, and some butter

I make everything myself and I buy mostly organic, and recently I've started to buy grassfed red meat from a local farmer. We usually have potatoes with the meat; cooked, fried (with butter/olive oil) and cooked or fried root vegetables.
They drink coke (with real sugar) with dinner. They also get collagen in their OJ most days, 1-2 ts. Trying to give them 1 ts of coconut oil every day.

Most sugar comes from fruit or fruit juices, but they also get cane sugar. They also eat raw honey, but not every day. Some candy on saturdays (recently learned about high fructose corn sirup, and trying to avoid that aswell now).
I've also quit buying soaps/cleaners/skincare/deodorants/laundry detergent etc, making everything myself. Or buying alternatives without hormone disruptors and other nasty stuff. All plastics are being replaced with glass/metal/natural fabrics etc, but this will take some time, as we're not rich. Using most of our money on food and these kind of things these days..

It's hard to put together a meal plan that works for everyone, but I think I'm starting to get some good routines on food now. Feel free to comment if anyone think I should add/remove something.
With those amounts of fruit and fruit juice, I see no need for coke with dinner. Their teeth will be better off without it.

A few ideas come to mind: replace the bananas with pineapple; experiment with different types of yoghurt and/or kefir - greek, sheep based, goat based; raw carrots and well-cooked mushrooms with greens are lacking, I feel. I'm not a fan of water, but some amount of water is definitely needed for bowel movements. They might need extra water outside the meal. One last thought: replacing potatoes with rice 2x a week or so might help.

OP
Henriette93

Henriette93

The post started with two 11 year old boys with large stools and no other complaints.
Since they are healthy boys, think about just tweeking their diet vs adding supplements. They are 11.
Getting poop out is good and healthy of course. And maybe their stool size for the amount / type of food they eat is closer to normal than your personal stool size.
Is large thick stools ideal? Probably not maybe?
But if they are happy and developing well- just change the milk and problem solve from there.
My child that had this was a petite little girl. It was shocking, but she outgrew it. I do think it was the dairy in her diet- specifically Dananimals. We simply cut back.
If she couldn’t pass the stool- other intervention was required; but that wasn’t the case.

The one time incedent with the pale stool; keep your eye on. Simply removing the dairy or changing it’s source can remedy that as well.

Hope your fiancé is doing better as well with his headaches and stomach issues iirc.
I've started to reduce their milk intake to see if that helps.
Thanks for asking, he is doing better :) As long as he eats the food I make and don't eat elsewhere, he's feeling alot better. Been nauceous a few times after eating a little gluten, but other than that - he's been feeling quite good for the last few weeks :)

OP
Henriette93

Henriette93

With those amounts of fruit and fruit juice, I see no need for coke with dinner. Their teeth will be better off without it.

A few ideas come to mind: replace the bananas with pineapple; experiment with different types of yoghurt and/or kefir - greek, sheep based, goat based; raw carrots and well-cooked mushrooms with greens are lacking, I feel. I'm not a fan of water, but some amount of water is definitely needed for bowel movements. They might need extra water outside the meal. One last thought: replacing potatoes with rice 2x a week or so might help.
Thanks :) The pineapples available in Norway kind of sucks, they don't taste anything and no organic options.. I'll check out different types of yoghurt.
They hate raw carrots unfortunately and I can't get them to eat it. I can add more mushrooms, rice and greens, not been eating alot of that lately. Forgot to mention water, they drink 1-2 cups of water daily aswell.

After we stopped using toothpaste with flour, their teeth has improved alot, but I do think that without coke at dinner, they will get far more proteins than carbs and feel sluggish after eating?

ivy

Thanks :) The pineapples available in Norway kind of sucks, they don't taste anything and no organic options.. I'll check out different types of yoghurt.
They hate raw carrots unfortunately and I can't get them to eat it. I can add more mushrooms, rice and greens, not been eating alot of that lately. Forgot to mention water, they drink 1-2 cups of water daily aswell.

After we stopped using toothpaste with flour, their teeth has improved alot, but I do think that without coke at dinner, they will get far more proteins than carbs and feel sluggish after eating?
1 or 2 cups of water are probably not enough liquid. I dislike the cold and tasteleness of water, so I drink warm water with lemon/ginger or tea.

I find coke a very poor source of carbs if others are available. Dates and figs, or even a slice of cheese with jam or marmelade, are more nourishing options.

Jonk

* 1-2 eggs daily

Looks like a great diet and you seem to be a good and caring mother and wife. If reducing or stopping dairy doesn't work, I would look to the fiber and starch aspect of the food, as you've mentioned their large stools. I think soluble fiber is bulk forming (not saying it is a bad thing) but might be something worth noting. Ray Peat have also said that if you have stomach issues starch should be zero. Maybe switch the potatoes to some non starchy vegetables for example. Green vegetables are also rich in vitamin K. I think someone mentioned it previously but people of Nordic descent are genetically more likely to require more choline, so maybe incorporate 1 or 2 more egg yolks, like in a soup, stew or meatballs. Also two small things is that olive oil shouldn't be heated (drizzling it on hot food is prob okay, but not in active cooking), and also see if they like straws to drink their sugary drinks from).

HeyThere

Looks like a great diet and you seem to be a good and caring mother and wife. If reducing or stopping dairy doesn't work, I would look to the fiber and starch aspect of the food, as you've mentioned their large stools. I think soluble fiber is bulk forming (not saying it is a bad thing) but might be something worth noting. Ray Peat have also said that if you have stomach issues starch should be zero. Maybe switch the potatoes to some non starchy vegetables for example. Green vegetables are also rich in vitamin K. I think someone mentioned it previously but people of Nordic descent are genetically more likely to require more choline, so maybe incorporate 1 or 2 more egg yolks, like in a soup, stew or meatballs. Also two small things is that olive oil shouldn't be heated (drizzling it on hot food is prob okay, but not in active cooking), and also see if they like straws to drink their sugary drinks from).

If gluten made him feel nauseous as you said, stop the oatmeal and any breads. Maybe they are like me, I am not glueten (per a blood test) but the docs say I react to it. Def true.

Coke before bed is caffeine and sugar, that stimulates the brain which could cause the nightmares.

And yes, 3 glasses of milk? Overkill in my humble opinion. I'd say 1 glass a day.

Not everyone gets better bowel movement from things like oatmeal and fiber, etc. Some get constipated far more.

mostlylurking

* 1-2 eggs daily
I'd like to recommend that you stop giving them the fruit juices. Is the yogurt flavored with fruit? If yes, it's very high in sugar. If the yogurt isn't strained Greek yogurt it will be very high in lactic acid which Ray Peat warns against. People with thiamine deficiency/functional blockage are already high in lactic acid because of faulty oxidative metabolism. Strained Greek yogurt is fine.

The diet you are describing is very high in sugar and carbs (=glucose in minutes). If these kids have an issue with thiamine function or a deficiency with thiamine all this sugar (and carbs) will make it worse. It is plain that you are very concerned about your children and are trying to do the right things for them. It is important to gather the knowledge so that you can help them.

The book written by Dr. Lonsdale (at Amazon) provides quite a bit of information (for free); here's the link to read it. Here is another way to read parts of the book for free.

here's a quote from chapter 6:
"The role of sugar in the causation of disease is emphasized and modern research is revealing the fundamental association with thiamine metabolism. Thiamine deficiency is increasingly recognized in critically ill patients and its association in cancer, poorly recognized clinically, raises once again the question of the Warburg effect. Some recent manuscripts have revealed that thiamine deficiency plays a part in the etiology of autism spectrum disorder and sudden infant death syndrome."

Thiamine deficiency/functional blockage is a very serious problem. Beriberi kills.

I'd like to recommend that you stop using olive oil; replace it with coconut oil for cooking. Olive oil is pretty high in PUFA; Peat recommended that you limit it to 1/2 teaspoon/day, for flavoring food. Heating it makes it toxic so it should never be used for cooking.

Lose the coke with dinner; it's high sugar and has caffeine in it. Get the coconut oil into them by using it for cooking. Providing gelatin in the same meal as the muscle meat would be a good idea. Make some gravy with it or add it to hamburger meat before cooking it.
The sugar is the problem. You need to stop doing this.

People with healthy metabolism can handle sugar. People with compromised oxidative metabolism can't. Here's an article for you; please read:

here's a quote (vitamin B1=thiamine):

Thiamine and Oxidative Metabolism: The Missing Spark Plug​

Our brain computers rely completely on oxidative metabolism represented simply thus:

Fuel + Oxygen + Catalyst = Energy​

Each of our one hundred trillion body/brain cells is kept alive and functioning because of this reaction. It all takes place in micro “fireplaces” known as mitochondria. Oxygen combines with fuel (food) to cause burning or the combustion – think fuel combustion engine. We need fuel, or gasoline, to burn and spark plugs to ignite in order for the engines to run.

In our body/brain cells it is called oxidation. The catalysts are the naturally occurring chemicals we call vitamins (vital to life). Like a spark plug, they “ignite” the food (fuel). Absence of ANY of the three components spells death.

Antioxidants like vitamin C protect us from the predictable “sparks” (as a normal effect of combustion) known as “oxidative stress”. Vitamin B1 is the spark plug, the catalyst for these reactions. As vitamin B1, thiamine, or any other vitamin deficiency continues, more and more damage occurs in the limbic system because that is where oxygen consumption has the heaviest demand in the entire body. This part of the brain is extremely sensitive to thiamine deficiency.
-end-
t's hard to put together a meal plan that works for everyone, but I think I'm starting to get some good routines on food now. Feel free to comment if anyone think I should add/remove something.
Please learn about thiamine.
Yes, they wake up at night to pee and/or drink. They often have nightmares, not sure if that's what's waking them up. I'll check their temps. They don't have any skin conditions, but they can have dry skin from time to time.
When blood sugar plummets at night, adrenaline spikes which causes nightmares. Sugary food triggers insulin which drops the blood sugar. The goal is a more even handed approach; the sugary food initiates a roller coaster ride instead of an even keel. The liver is supposed to store sugar and release it evenly throughout the night so that adrenaline is kept low. However, the liver needs thiamine to do its jobs. Thiamine deficiency/functional blockage will result in poor liver function.

Please note that if oxidative metabolism is blocked (by thiamine deficiency and/or hypothyroidism) then the cells cannot burn blood glucose for fuel. The result (from the cells' perspective) is the same as having low blood sugar. The adrenals are called on to release adrenaline.

Possible thiamine deficiency and also hypothyroidism would be good things to investigate further.

Pineapples are a high serotonin food. It's not something I think should be given to kids with ADHD. Bananas are also high serotonin. Thiamine is used by the body to lower elevated brain serotonin. If all the thiamine got used up dealing with sugary food then there would be problems with serotonin clearing the brain properly. Adding high serotonin foods would exacerbate the brain serotonin problem and negative reactions to these foods would be likely.

White rice is nutrient free but it is full of starch which converts to pure glucose within minutes. Well cooked mushrooms (45minutes-1 hour) would be a good food.

If you put a tiny bit of rice vinegar (1/2 teas) and a tiny bit of honey (1/2 to 1 teas) of honey and a tiny pinch of salt on the shredded carrot I bet they'll eat it.
Are you making your own toothpaste? Flour = starch = pure sugar. Do your children have any amalgam (silver) fillings? I'd be giving them milk for dinner so they would sleep well.

aniciete

3 cups of milk? That’s overkill! You give your kids sugar? You need to stop and give them megadoses of thiamine.

This forum man lmfao

Peachy

My son had these kind of issues from a young age. At first I tried to blast it out with prunes, flax seeds, etc. - made things worse in the long run.

What helped was lots of broths, fruits, veg, meat, some fermented foods.

Do you have access to quality raw milk from Jersey (A1) cows? That can be more digestible.

Magnesium bicarbonate can be good for relieving constipation. I’d consider a probiotic too. Probably spore-based.

What REALLY helped was puberty. It’s a great reset, so this is a good time to tweak some things and take advantage of that.

Peachy

What helped was lots of broths, fruits, veg, meat, some fermented foods.
He was also eating a lot of healthy fats and some grains - I ground wheat and soaked grains before cooking. I think it all helped with digestion (it was terrible before I made the changes). Eventually I had to cut gluten because of eczema.

Momma

I've started to reduce their milk intake to see if that helps.
Thanks for asking, he is doing better :) As long as he eats the food I make and don't eat elsewhere, he's feeling alot better. Been nauceous a few times after eating a little gluten, but other than that - he's been feeling quite good for the last few weeks :)
Oh that’s good. Thank you.

Kyle970

But how much movement outdoors?
How much screen time?
Growing up I lived off of basically McDonalds, lucky charms, antibiotics, I had no idea what a digestion issue was until mid twenties when internet came along, stimulants etc. I was always extremely active outdoors though.
With my own kido, motivating physical movement outdoors is a challenge because of screens being so addictive. I think this could slow digestion etc.

youngsinatra

Pale stool is a definite indication for poor bile flow.

There was a study where IBS-C had very little bile in their stool in comparison to controls. People with IBS-D had almost twice as much bile in their stool as controls.

Bile stimulates peristalsis.

If gluten made him feel nauseous as you said, stop the oatmeal and any breads. Maybe they are like me, I am not glueten (per a blood test) but the docs say I react to it. Def true.

Coke before bed is caffeine and sugar, that stimulates the brain which could cause the nightmares.

And yes, 3 glasses of milk? Overkill in my humble opinion. I'd say 1 glass a day.

Not everyone gets better bowel movement from things like oatmeal and fiber, etc. Some get constipated far more.
Have you tried Einkorn wheat? I cannot tolerate normal wheat myself and then this happened...
...aside from this, what is most interesting -to me at least- is that recently a lot of the research dealing with the supposed ubiquitous “gluten sensitivity” has now been redirected to the subject of ati's, amylase-trypsin inhibitors, which are supposed to be, according to the latest research, the real culprits behind wheat sensitivities. this is why some people swear by einkorn flour, because it's the only gluten-containing grain with low ati's. the sourdough process btw also reduces or effectively renders useless those same ati's.
This right here changed my life as I bake bread with this Einkorn flour and eat it everyday without issues.

HeyThere

I'm non-celiac gluten sensitive. That's more specific to my blood test, forgive my not being totally clear.

I've had a broken tooth and have been on soft things like eggs, bananas, avocado, etc. Gave up bread, chips, etc for a month. Losing weight. Flat stomach. No bloating issues whatsoever. Little to no slime in esophagus.

The other day I tried chips again.. within minutes I bloated up like I was pregnant. Days later I tried Cinnamon Toast Cereal, bloated up so badly thought I'd pop. Ended up vomiting. Had it WITHOUT milk, BTW, just dry. Cereals ALWAYS make me bloat like mad within minutes and I create this gross slime in my esophagus.. Weird thing is, I can eat huge pieces of, say, those Kringle danish things and not bloat up at all.

I'm non-celiac gluten sensitive. That's more specific to my blood test, forgive my not being totally clear.

I've had a broken tooth and have been on soft things like eggs, bananas, avocado, etc. Gave up bread, chips, etc for a month. Losing weight. Flat stomach. No bloating issues whatsoever. Little to no slime in esophagus.

The other day I tried chips again.. within minutes I bloated up like I was pregnant. Days later I tried Cinnamon Toast Cereal, bloated up so badly thought I'd pop. Ended up vomiting. Had it WITHOUT milk, BTW, just dry. Cereals ALWAYS make me bloat like mad within minutes and I create this gross slime in my esophagus.. Weird thing is, I can eat huge pieces of, say, those Kringle danish things and not bloat up at all.
That kind of bloating is my big issue too. I also get some sort of mucus in the back of my throat. I get increased rosacea, and a feeling that everything from throat to stomach to the very end is swollen and inflamed. It feels like I am too full. I would feel like there is a need for a BM but there is nothing there, hope that's not TMI for everyone, but I think I am not alone when I say wheat does a lot of horrible things to the body.

Avocado? Chips? Ehhh pufa schmufa? And if you know you are gluten sensitive why do you torture yourself with Cinnamon Toast Crunch, which for a cereal, is probably the least fun to eat....I mean it turns to mush in less than a minute. At least eat crap that is worth while! ;)

oh I see you ate it without milk, soooo, whoops. Rock on

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals