Should I Get A Colonoscopy?

stoic

Dear Peatarians,

As some of you may remember, I have PAS, PFS and other issues from low-carb diets and chronic stress.

After more than six months on a peat-inspired diet (mainly rice, potatoes, low-fat meat, fruit, honey, orange juice, coke, dark chocolate), most of my symptoms haven't improved at all and some have even got worse.

I suspect my body is dealing with metabolic issues due to my low-carb years, and eating a lot of (natural) sugars has brought the problem to surface. Or maybe my pancreas is compromised from accutane...or perhaps I am dealing with a major dysbiosis from finasteride...

Anyway, I decided to go to a doctor in order to get some clarity. She made me take a stool test and the calprotectin came back extremely high, around 1600. As far as I understand this only means that there is active inflammation in the intestines, which could be caused by a lot of different things.

Based on the calprotectin result and a few symptoms (distended stomach, constipation), the doctor advised me to get a colonoscopy.

I am aching to find what is causing my issues, but I would prefer to avoid a procedure that has similar risks to undergoing surgery.

What are your views on colonoscopies? And what are some reliable, realistic alternatives for testing that I could convince my doctor to prescribe me instead? I live in Europe and have no money at the moment, so it should be something that can be covered by basic insurance.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dear Peatarians,

As some of you may remember, I have PAS, PFS and other issues from low-carb diets and chronic stress.

After more than six months on a peat-inspired diet (mainly rice, potatoes, low-fat meat, fruit, honey, orange juice, coke, dark chocolate), most of my symptoms haven't improved at all and some have even got worse.

I suspect my body is dealing with metabolic issues due to my low-carb years, and eating a lot of (natural) sugars has brought the problem to surface. Or maybe my pancreas is compromised from accutane...or perhaps I am dealing with a major dysbiosis from finasteride...

Anyway, I decided to go to a doctor in order to get some clarity. She made me take a stool test and the calprotectin came back extremely high, around 1600. As far as I understand this only means that there is active inflammation in the intestines, which could be caused by a lot of different things.

Based on the calprotectin result and a few symptoms (distended stomach, constipation), the doctor advised me to get a colonoscopy.

I am aching to find what is causing my issues, but I would prefer to avoid a procedure that has similar risks to undergoing surgery.

What are your views on colonoscopies? And what are some reliable, realistic alternatives for testing that I could convince my doctor to prescribe me instead? I live in Europe and have no money at the moment, so it should be something that can be covered by basic insurance.

Thanks!
I hope reading this thread helps you make your decision :)

I would avoid the colonoscopy, personally, because it's a dangerous procedure, especially if the gut is inflamed already.

Are you on thyroid?

i am never getting one. I wouldn't advise anyone else but that's my decision. Aspirin lowers chances of colorectal cancer far more than a colonoscopy and is far less risky. Risks of the procedure itself and over-treatment and lack of any real efficacy are my reasons why I'm not getting one.

i am never getting one. I wouldn't advise anyone else but that's my decision. Aspirin lowers chances of colorectal cancer far more than a colonoscopy and is far less risky. Risks of the procedure itself and over-treatment and lack of any real efficacy are my reasons why I'm not getting one.
I second that ecstatichampster! My grandmother got one and said things "down there" never worked the same again.

Doc Sandoz

Dear Peatarians,

Thanks!
As to efficacy of the colonoscopy, I have one anecdote. A friend had her's right on schedule, every so often as recommended. When about 60 years old, she had a clean scope, then within a year or two began to have symptoms. A new scope was ordered and she was diagnosed with Stage 2 or 3 colon cancer. She did survive; however, the utility of this "routine" periodic procedure was certainly called into question for me by her experience.

OP
stoic

stoic

Thanks all.

I'm not on thyroid but I just had an appointment with an endocrinologist and will soon get tested for metabolic issues. I've heard thyroid problems are generally underdiagnosed by doctors, so I should probably do some more research on the subject myself.

I understand that colonoscopies are dangerous, I'm just tired of not knowing what my issue is, so if I refuse the procedure I need to have a good alternative...

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Dear Peatarians,

Thanks!
How much sunlight do you get? Sunrise is very important. Do you let the sun hit your belly and lower abdomen area? What is your vitamin D level? How much blue light from computers/phones/tablets do you get? Do you block blue light after dark?

Dennis

What solvable issues that if detected by a colonoscopy can be resolved?
I personally never found an answer to this - except that if cancer is detect then early treatment may help.

tankasnowgod

After reading Roar of Wolveine's experience, I am never getting one-

This quote is from part 2, and always stuck with me....

Most people will live their entire life with colon polyps and never develop colorectal cancer. An estimated 95% of all polyps are benign. They will never become cancers, so removing them and claiming victory over cancer is as fraudulent as cutting every mole off of everyone and boasting that you saved them from melanoma. Removing a benign polyp creates and open wound within the dirtiest organ of the human body. You might as well slice open your finger and stick it into a septic tank or gas station toilet.

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

Wow..... so you were already hit with Accutane AND Finasteride, and are thinking of going back to the same industry for a really risky procedure?

OP
stoic

stoic

How much sunlight do you get? Sunrise is very important. Do you let the sun hit your belly and lower abdomen area? What is your vitamin D level? How much blue light from computers/phones/tablets do you get? Do you block blue light after dark?
Yeah, I get some sunlight almost every day but probably not enough.
I spent most of my teenage years inside, then the accutane forced me to avoid the sunshine completely for a long time.
Now I use a very light sunbed once in a while, which seems to help.
I'd love to spend more time in the sun but I'm still too self-conscious to expose my body in public.

I do spend most of my days looking at blue screens, but I can't really avoid that at the moment.
Maybe I should consider wearing glasses as protection.

Wow..... so you were already hit with Accutane AND Finasteride, and are thinking of going back to the same industry for a really risky procedure?
As I said, I'm only going back to doctors so that I can get some useful tests for free.
It's not ideal but I have little money at the moment and I prefer having some clarity before spending money on countless experiments.

Anyway, I decided to cancel the colonoscopy and will try to convince my doctor to use another diagnostic tool.
I've heard an abdominal ultrasound might be helpful, but I'm open to other ideas...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals