I'm Scared My Paleo Past Gave Me Colon Cancer, Should I Get A Colonoscopy?

Gadsie

From about 2012 to 2015, I ate so much red meat I'm embarrassed to even talk about it. It was in the 400 grams a day range, mostly ground beef and bacon, in combination with a lot of (high fat) dairy and some fruit. I was 14-17 years old. The past few days I've been having some bowel discomfort, though nothing serious, no visible blood. But it did get me thinking about my paleo past and looking at all the red meat (heme-iron) and cancer correlation. Cancer at my age (almost 22) is very rare statistically speaking, but statistically speaking almost nobody ate so much meat.

Somewhere deep down I know I should get a colonoscopy, but I'm afraid.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I think it will relieve your fear if you go ahead and get a colonoscopy. Bowel discomfort can come from many things. I doubt the paleo diet for three years would cause cancer. At your age the nutrients were probably put to good use. There is a noninvasive test and I think it is called cologuard that might be a good first step.

rei

Don't be ridiculous. If you look for excuse to have something shoved up your **** then look into coffee enemas.

opson123

I also doubt eating just 400g a day gave you cancer. 400g is like two steaks? Many people eat way more and have for decades and if they get colon cancer they'd start suffering fom it in their later years.

It's likely something else.

OP
Gadsie

Gadsie

I also doubt eating just 400g a day gave you cancer. 400g is like two steaks? Many people eat way more and have for decades and if they get colon cancer they'd start suffering fom it in their later years.

It's likely something else.

Thank you. Do you have any examples of those people? I rarely heard of people eating over a pound of meat for extended periods of time

OP
Gadsie

Gadsie

I think it will relieve your fear if you go ahead and get a colonoscopy. Bowel discomfort can come from many things. I doubt the paleo diet for three years would cause cancer. At your age the nutrients were probably put to good use. There is a noninvasive test and I think it is called cologuard that might be a good first step.
Thanks. I’ll see how my physical symptoms and fear develop over the next week and decide

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I agree with opson123 that people do eat a lot of meat. A contractor once told us he eats 2 lbs of meat daily. I think that is a lot but if you were hungry you needed it.

Think about anything you ate recently that was different. Maybe the gut bacteria is causing it. That is usually my problem.

opson123

A relatively healthy example is someone like Stan Efferding who is a fan of Peat. He basically eats red meat in every meal. You can check his videos on youtube or google 'vertical diet'.

From about 2012 to 2015, I ate so much red meat I'm embarrassed to even talk about it. It was in the 400 grams a day range, mostly ground beef and bacon, in combination with a lot of (high fat) dairy and some fruit. I was 14-17 years old. The past few days I've been having some bowel discomfort, though nothing serious, no visible blood. But it did get me thinking about my paleo past and looking at all the red meat (heme-iron) and cancer correlation. Cancer at my age (almost 22) is very rare statistically speaking, but statistically speaking almost nobody ate so much meat.

Have you seen this thread?
Aspirin Can Fully Replace Your Annual Colonoscopy

You could do a high niacinamide, high aspirin regimen for a few days. That should benefit your colon a lot. The only downside I see is that these substances will make you gain a little weight, but it should be easy to lose it when you stop using them.

Also, if you think you have too much iron in your body, then donating blood or using iron chelating agents can be solutions for that.

I remember someone posting a link to "Roar of Wolverine" back in my paleo days. His colon was "perforated" during the procedure. The bottom line is that the procedure carries some risk, and can be disastrous if something goes wrong. Should you care to read his story and warning-

http://roarofwolverine.com/archives/2772

http://roarofwolverine.com/wolverine
It does seem like a very dangerous procedure. And also, why would anyone do it? At best, they won't find anything. At worst, they will say you have cancer. If it turns out you don't have anything, then nothing has to be done; if you have cancer, all you need to do is use strategies that people have written on this forum and also lots of advices from Ray Peat. If you follow the doctor's advice, then you will surely end up with at least a handful of side-effects and may have a reincidence of the cancer you underwent chemo to kill. So, if you feel like you may have colon cancer, build a strategy with Ray's ideas in mind and you'll be fine.

Richiebogie

Hi @Gadsie,

What do you eat these days?

Your pain is more likely to be related to your current diet than to what you ate several years ago.

Meat doesn't leave much residue, but beans, lentils, nuts, grains and other seeds can leave a lot of insoluble fibre for bacteria to feed on in your intestines, creating methane gas that can painfully swell your colonic tubes and crevices.

OP
Gadsie

Gadsie

Hi @Gadsie,

What do you eat these days?

Your pain is more likely to be related to your current diet than to what you ate several years ago.

Meat doesn't leave much residue, but beans, lentils, nuts, grains and other seeds can leave a lot of insoluble fibre for bacteria to feed on in your intestines, creating methane gas that can painfully swell your colonic tubes and crevices.
These days my diet consists mainly of skim milk, orange juice, rice, cheese, and I do also eat a decent amount of veggies and some (white) oil-free bread, sort of a compromise with my girlfriend :D.

I actually did a fecal immunochemical blood test and it came back negative, so there's no blood. I will repeat this every few months just to make sure. For now, I'm not too worried, although I do occasionally have some bowel discomfort.

Richiebogie

Hi @Gadsie,

Glad you are feeling more positive.

Next time you get intestinal pain, note what you had just eaten.

Maybe you ate fast moving vegetables too soon after slow-to-digest cheese or skim milk...

Maybe you ate a lot of rice and the rice absorbed too much water.

There may be combinations which cause pain or even individual problem makers!

You aren't eating a lot of iron now so that should be compensating for your meat binges in the past!

I'm always discovering new cause and effect pairs! I'm currently trying to see if beer or bread has been causing my excessively itchy skin! If it is the beer, would I get the same effects from gin? etc.

Lots of tests to do and observations to make!

haidut

Forum Supporter

Colonoscopy is very invasive and has potentially lethal side effects (from the procedure itself or the general anesthesia they usually put you under) and should not be taken lightly. Most doctors angrily downplay the risks when asked but if you read the warnings on the form you are signing before the procedure it's all explained in there. An abdominal ultrasound or MRI are much safer options if the doctor can be talked into trying them and will usually catch solid tumors big enough to cause problems.

S.Holmes

I don't ever have invasive procedures done. Mistakes can be debilitating or even fatal. Then with a positive diagnosis you have the stress of believing you have the big C (but do you really?), compounded by the dangerous treatments that at best destroy your quality of life. A close family member was diagnosed with colon cancer following a colonoscopy. After they removed a huge portion of his intestines and performed other cut/slash/burn procedures, he is completely disabled now. He is on many pharmaceuticals and the family thinks he has lost his mind. I doubt he will live much longer. Very sad ending that could have been avoided.

What I would do (am doing since everyone over 50 has cancer cells both progressing and retreating). I take Fenbendazole and Ivermectin, artemisinin, aspirin, B vitamins, esp B1, B3, B7, lots of magnesium and vit C, therapeutic doses of iodine, selenium, large dose of charcoal once a week and cascara sagrada as needed. And as instructed by Dr P, if you feel you must be tested, always do so at the end of summer. Cancer cells can go into spontaneous remission during the longer days of sunlight. Never test for cancer in late winter or spring.

I take other things for daily maintenance, but these make up the the bulk of my alternative anti-cancer therapy.

Best of luck.

Last edited: