Colonoscopy , colon cancer , fecal immunochemical test

leeteeh

Sorry for too much info about stool.

I recently did a Fecal immunochemical test which tests blood in stool and got a positive result, I’m unsure if it’s accurate as the range is 10-200 or 400 and I got a results of 19 so my dr wants me to do a colonoscopy. I will rarely have blood when wiping if I don’t eat well for a few days either not enough fibre and too much dairy, eggs and cheese causing a harder stool. Or bad eating from too much fibre or eating out causing multiple bowel movements in a short space of time, either one of those can results is a slight bit of bright blood but I doesn’t last.

The day of the stool sample I requested a second test because I gave my first sample from stool that had a tiny bit of blood when I wiped and the instructions say not to use stool with visible blood as it’s likely from haemorrhoids or fissure and will give a false positive when checking for colon cancer which is what the test is usually given for. Given that the second sample I gave was from another bowel movement later that day I feel like my positive results could be from some fresh blood like I’d seen on the tissue and not from colon cancer especially as it’s such a low results of 19.

I have been having health issues lately but it’s not all solely gut related if you check my other posts you’ll see it’s chest pain, fatigue, dizziness and other random issues.

For example I’ve been having terrible sleep waking up at 4am every morning need some sugar or carb, going back to sleep and having intense dreaming waking up exhausted, earlier this evening I had 4 eggs, butter and salt, 30 minutes after I had a couple of apples and a little OJ, just under an hour after I went for a 30 minute walk where I had to stop and sit down due to feeling very fatigued, dizzy/disorientated/unsteady and couldn’t take a deep breath properly. I felt extremely bloated which may or may not have been causing the inability to breath deep but I didn’t feel that bloat after eating only after walking. Unsure if any of this could be specifically colon cancer and warrant a colonoscopy.

I think I should first wait until I move out of my current home away from mold and see if my general symptoms improve and then after 1/2 months of consistent better eating see if my bloating changed and follow up with a second fecal test when there’s definitely no unsteady bowel movements or visible blood on tissue. Is that a good idea or am I being stupid to put off a colonoscopy? I’m not sure if it’s worth the risk.

mostlylurking

I recently did a Fecal immunochemical test which tests blood in stool and got a positive result, I’m unsure if it’s accurate as the range is 10-200 or 400 and I got a results of 19 so my dr wants me to do a colonoscopy. I will rarely have blood when wiping if I don’t eat well for a few days either not enough fibre and too much dairy, eggs and cheese causing a harder stool. Or bad eating from too much fibre or eating out causing multiple bowel movements in a short space of time, either one of those can results is a slight bit of bright blood but I doesn’t last.

The day of the stool sample I requested a second test because I gave my first sample from stool that had a tiny bit of blood when I wiped and the instructions say not to use stool with visible blood as it’s likely from haemorrhoids or fissure and will give a false positive when checking for colon cancer which is what the test is usually given for. Given that the second sample I gave was from another bowel movement later that day I feel like my positive results could be from some fresh blood like I’d seen on the tissue and not from colon cancer especially as it’s such a low results of 19.

I have been having health issues lately but it’s not all solely gut related if you check my other posts you’ll see it’s chest pain, fatigue, dizziness and other random issues.

For example I’ve been having terrible sleep waking up at 4am every morning need some sugar or carb, going back to sleep and having intense dreaming waking up exhausted, earlier this evening I had 4 eggs, butter and salt, 30 minutes after I had a couple of apples and a little OJ, just under an hour after I went for a 30 minute walk where I had to stop and sit down due to feeling very fatigued, dizzy/disorientated/unsteady and couldn’t take a deep breath properly. I felt extremely bloated which may or may not have been causing the inability to breath deep but I didn’t feel that bloat after eating only after walking. Unsure if any of this could be specifically colon cancer and warrant a colonoscopy.

I think I should first wait until I move out of my current home away from mold and see if my general symptoms improve and then after 1/2 months of consistent better eating see if my bloating changed and follow up with a second fecal test when there’s definitely no unsteady bowel movements or visible blood on tissue. Is that a good idea or am I being stupid to put off a colonoscopy? I’m not sure if it’s worth the risk.
I don't think putting off a colonoscopy is stupid. I think colonoscopies are pretty dangerous in and of themselves and they are terrible at missing cancers. But doctors like to give them because it's a money maker for them. I think you should take care of your health and take another FIT test in a month or so.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PEOpCCxsxY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlpTC0tYpS0

(note that "death" is one of the possible side effects)

Peatress

I second everything @mostlylurking says about colonoscopies - they are not safe.

@leeteeh I'm wondering if you are getting enough carbs? - eating 4 eggs and waiting 30mins before having a small amount of carbohydrate might be pushing you towards hypoglycemia hence the fatigue.

If you search eggs and hypoglycemia the first result is Dr Peat talking about this

Last edited:
OP
L

leeteeh

I don't think putting off a colonoscopy is stupid. I think colonoscopies are pretty dangerous in and of themselves and they are terrible at missing cancers. But doctors like to give them because it's a money maker for them. I think you should take care of your health and take another FIT test in a month or so.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PEOpCCxsxY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlpTC0tYpS0

(note that "death" is one of the possible side effects)

That’s what I was thinking. At least if I focus on my health, move and try to sort any bloating out and still get a positive on a fecal test when there’s no visibly blood from bad eating then I can go from there. But it felt stupid to do and would probably make my health worse given how stressful and invasive it is especially if this stress is related to stress, mold, nutrient deficiencies or gut imbalance i feel it would worsen all of them.
I’m in the UK so I don’t think drs make direct money like you thinking compared to American drs handing things out for a payout.
Thank you

OP
L

leeteeh

I second everything @mostlylurking says about colonoscopies - they are not safe.

@leeteeh I'm wondering if you are getting enough carbs? - eating 4 eggs and waiting 30mins before having a small amount of carbohydrate might be pushing you towards hypoglycemia hence the fatigue.

If you search eggs and hypoglycemia the first result is Dr Peat talking about this

That might be what happened although it’s about 4 hours later and I’m still experiencing the fatigue and dizzy sensation which I’ve had on and off for months now. But yes it was a low amount of carbs, I’d usually have a good amount of potato with eggs but I’m staying away from potatoes for a while due to bloating. I will search hypoglycaemia and eggs as I’ve had that before so know it can be an issue. Thanks

mostlylurking

That’s what I was thinking. At least if I focus on my health, move and try to sort any bloating out and still get a positive on a fecal test when there’s no visibly blood from bad eating then I can go from there. But it felt stupid to do and would probably make my health worse given how stressful and invasive it is especially if this stress is related to stress, mold, nutrient deficiencies or gut imbalance i feel it would worsen all of them.
I’m in the UK so I don’t think drs make direct money like you thinking compared to American drs handing things out for a payout.
Thank you
I'm sure money changes hands. It may be the hospital gets the money and the doctors are given quotas they must fill. No one is doing this altruistically.

I'd like to suggest you cut out all nuts, seeds, grains (especially wheat) and also cut out all polyunsaturated fats. Also cut out all nightshade plants (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant); I think that white potatoes are fine though so long as they are well cooked. I'd get some raw carrot (shredded lengthwise) eaten every day. Avoid foods with little seeds like strawberries, really all the berries. Avoid figs. Cook your apples and your pears. Keep a food diary so that you will be able to look back on what you ate days later. Many times, the offending food takes 2-3 days to cause a problem after you've eaten it.

Ray Peat advised me that thiamine and magnesium are needed to heal the gut.

mostlylurking

That might be what happened although it’s about 4 hours later and I’m still experiencing the fatigue and dizzy sensation which I’ve had on and off for months now. But yes it was a low amount of carbs, I’d usually have a good amount of potato with eggs but I’m staying away from potatoes for a while due to bloating. I will search hypoglycaemia and eggs as I’ve had that before so know it can be an issue. Thanks
and then there's l-glutamine.
This is not something a person should do all the time because of the possible side effects (cell proliferation). However, it is something that I've seen work for friends of mine who managed to avoid surgery by taking l-glutamine for less than 30 days. I had a pain in my Sigmund colon for several months last year; before surrendering myself to a doctor, I decided to take l-glutamine for less than 30 days. I had no more pain after the 5th day but I continued taking 1 teaspoon/day of l-glutamine for around 10-12 days. I fully recovered, no need to bother the doctor.

OP
L

leeteeh

I'm sure money changes hands. It may be the hospital gets the money and the doctors are given quotas they must fill. No one is doing this altruistically.

I'd like to suggest you cut out all nuts, seeds, grains (especially wheat) and also cut out all polyunsaturated fats. Also cut out all nightshade plants (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant); I think that white potatoes are fine though so long as they are well cooked. I'd get some raw carrot (shredded lengthwise) eaten every day. Avoid foods with little seeds like strawberries, really all the berries. Avoid figs. Cook your apples and your pears. Keep a food diary so that you will be able to look back on what you ate days later. Many times, the offending food takes 2-3 days to cause a problem after you've eaten it.

this is similar to what I plan to do now, I don’t eat nuts or seeds and rarely wheat. But everything you said I’d what I had planned including the magnesium and thiamine

OP
L

leeteeh

I
and then there's l-glutamine.
This is not something a person should do all the time because of the possible side effects (cell proliferation). However, it is something that I've seen work for friends of mine who managed to avoid surgery by taking l-glutamine for less than 30 days. I had a pain in my Sigmund colon for several months last year; before surrendering myself to a doctor, I decided to take l-glutamine for less than 30 days. I had no more pain after the 5th day but I continued taking 1 teaspoon/day of l-glutamine for around 10-12 days. I fully recovered, no need to bother the doctor.
haven’t taken l glutamine in years I used to think it was good but in recent years I thought I’d read that it wasn’t good by various people. Il have to do so actual research on it and reconsider.

mostlylurking

I

haven’t taken l glutamine in years I used to think it was good but in recent years I thought I’d read that it wasn’t good by various people. Il have to do so actual research on it and reconsider.
Yes, do research it. search cancer and l-glutamine. This is why a person should not take it for an extended length of time (although it is promoted as a bodybuilder supplement). However, if there is an injury in the intestine that might be bleeding a little bit (hemorrhoids, a little fissure), then l-glutamine can speed up the healing and resolve the problem quickly, with no need for an extended length of time taking it.

OP
L

leeteeh

Yes, do research it. search cancer and l-glutamine. This is why a person should not take it for an extended length of time (although it is promoted as a bodybuilder supplement). However, if there is an injury in the intestine that might be bleeding a little bit (hemorrhoids, a little fissure), then l-glutamine can speed up the healing and resolve the problem quickly, with no need for an extended length of time taking it.
A handful of clicks from a search says although glutamine can be used up by the cancer supplementing glutamine doesn’t fuel the cancer and infact supplemental glutamine can be beneficial against cancer. We’re you suggesting to research because supplementing glutamine can be bad in cases of cancer ? I couldn’t find that information when searching.

mostlylurking

A handful of clicks from a search says although glutamine can be used up by the cancer supplementing glutamine doesn’t fuel the cancer and infact supplemental glutamine can be beneficial against cancer. We’re you suggesting to research because supplementing glutamine can be bad in cases of cancer ? I couldn’t find that information when searching.
I think that there are some that say that glutamine encourages cell proliferation and that can be interpreted as carcinogenic. I'm no expert. I tend to be cautious so for me, I'm inclined to limit my l-glutamine supplement intake to when I have a problem and I don't take it for longer than 30 days. Those are my rules for me.

I like what you found; I think it sounds like you would be inclined to try it if you were bleeding a little (might be from an injury, & not from cancer). Doctors like to use fear of cancer to promote lucrative testing that itself might be detrimental.

Kimster

Forum Supporter

I only scanned quickly, sorry if this was already mentioned:

Dirty Endoscopes Raising Alarms for Colonoscopies​

I live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa my massage therapist goes to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN all the time as she has a daughter with Downs Syndrome and Cystic Fibrosis. Mayo killed 4-6 people about a year ago with dirty colonoscopy equipment. Spred Pseudomonas throughout the body cavity.

I've never had a colonoscopy, only use the FIT tests at home. Mercoal did a substack a few years abck as well on this regarding the 2 chemicals used to clean the equipment. Only one really works. Also I have a freind that is a Nurse Practitioner and she told me during training she was ordered to pull the equipment out of the cleaning chemicals before the appropriate time was up for sterilization as they were backed up and behind.......

mostlylurking

I live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa my massage therapist goes to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN all the time as she has a daughter with Downs Syndrome and Cystic Fibrosis. Mayo killed 4-6 people about a year ago with dirty colonoscopy equipment. Spred Pseudomonas throughout the body cavity.

I've never had a colonoscopy, only use the FIT tests at home. Mercoal did a substack a few years abck as well on this regarding the 2 chemicals used to clean the equipment. Only one really works. Also I have a freind that is a Nurse Practitioner and she told me during training she was ordered to pull the equipment out of the cleaning chemicals before the appropriate time was up for sterilization as they were backed up and behind.......
:thumbsup:

OP
L

leeteeh

I think that there are some that say that glutamine encourages cell proliferation and that can be interpreted as carcinogenic. I'm no expert. I tend to be cautious so for me, I'm inclined to limit my l-glutamine supplement intake to when I have a problem and I don't take it for longer than 30 days. Those are my rules for me.

I like what you found; I think it sounds like you would be inclined to try it if you were bleeding a little (might be from an injury, & not from cancer). Doctors like to use fear of cancer to promote lucrative testing that itself might be detrimental.
Il have to give it a go, I’m having some burning sensation in my mid stomach above belly button. And today have slight bloody mucus on some stool. The fact that some of the mucus was pink and bloody makes me think it’s not something like hemorrhoids or similar and makes me think it’s came from further up the tract.

OP
L

leeteeh

O

Oh wow that’s terrible!
I’m in the UK. Any idea if the practices are the same for cleaning products used or would it be identical in every country and medical system?

Kimster

Forum Supporter
O

Oh wow that’s terrible!
I’m in the UK. Any idea if the practices are the same for cleaning products used or would it be identical in every country and medical system?
Leeteeh: I grabbed this article for you from Mercola.com/substack. I do not know about other countries procedures. Though you could inquire regarding these 2 cleaning chemicals.

Dr. Mercola's Censored Library (Private Membership)

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack.com%2Fimg%2Favatars%2Forange.png

Is a Colonoscopy Worth the Risk?​

There are several pitfalls associated with a colonoscopy, not the least of which is death. One international team of experts weighed the evidence to determine the risk-benefit ratio.​

DR. JOSEPH MERCOLA
JUL 8, 2022
∙ PAID

is colonoscopy worth the risk

STORY AT-A-GLANCE

• Based on the evidence, an international team of experts is recommending routine colonoscopies only if you have a 3% potential of developing a growth in the next 15 years. If it is less, then the pitfalls associated with the procedure are not worth the risks
  • One study found a 17% risk of a missed cancer diagnosis with a colonoscopy. Other risks include perforation of the colon, which is raised when you have anesthesia with the procedure, gut microbial imbalance from preparation for the procedure, equipment contamination from improper sterilization between patients and death from complications
  • David Lewis, Ph.D., states that up to 80% of hospitals sterilize their endoscopes with glutaraldehyde (Cidex), which exacerbates the issue by preserving human tissue in the endoscope picked up during the procedure. The best method of sterilizing the equipment to date is peracetic acid, which will dissolve protein tissue and clear the endoscope
  • You may significantly reduce your risk of colorectal cancer by making lifestyle changes, including reducing or eliminating alcohol and smoking, maintaining a normal weight, eating a high fiber diet and exercising consistently
Knowing your potential risk for developing cancer can help you weigh the risks against the benefits of different tests for your situation. According to the American Cancer Society,
more than 16.9 million people in the U.S. have a history of cancer. At least 1.9 million new cases will be diagnosed in 2022, which does not include a diagnosis of carcinoma in situ (noninvasive cancer).

The society estimates 609,360 people will die from cancer in 2022, which is about 1,670 deaths per day. The four most common types include lung, breast, prostate and colorectal cancer. One of the screening tests commonly prescribed to rule out colorectal cancer is a colonoscopy.
Colorectal cancer can start in the colon or in the rectum but the two types are grouped together since they have many of the same characteristics.
The society estimates that in 2022 there will be 106,180 new cases of colon cancer diagnosed and 44,850 new cases of rectal cancer. Although it remains the third leading cause of cancer-related deaths in men and women, the rate has been dropping for several decades.

According to the Colorectal Cancer Alliance,
the five-year survival rate has been rising and there are more than 1 million colorectal cancer survivors alive in the U.S. Knowing your risk factors and making lifestyle changes to prevent the development of colorectal cancer are the basis of the most recently published Rapid Recommendation of The BMJ initiative.

In Many Cases Routine Colonoscopies Are Unnecessary

The 2019 practice guidelines published in The BMJ
recommend physicians use a tool to estimate an individual's potential risk for developing colorectal cancer in the next 15 years. The team recommends that only those who have a risk of 3% or greater should undergo screening tests.

Current guidelines recommend screening for everyone over the age of 50, without regard to their individual risk. At the age of 50, this is typically less than 3%.
The international panel reviewed scientific evidence and research data to evaluate the risks versus the benefits of colonoscopies.

They found their recommendations could accurately be applied to healthy people from 50 to 79 years who expected to live another 15 years. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends colorectal cancer screening for those over 50.

Using data from across the U.S., they found the number who were up to date with their screening went up 1.4% from 2016 to 2018, representing an additional 3.5 million people.
In addition to asking if screening made a difference in health outcomes, The BMJ initiative team also attempted to differentiate the type of testing best used to screen for colorectal cancer.
They recommended that those with a 3% risk or greater over the following 15 years could choose from one of four screening options.

The first was a fecal immunochemical test (FIT) done every year, or every two years depending upon their risk factors. Patients may also choose a single sigmoidoscopy or, the weakest recommendation from the team, a single colonoscopy.

Possibility of Cancer Compared to Screening Hazards

From their examination of the evidence, the team believed a yearly FIT, sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy could reduce the incidence of cancer while a FIT every two years may not have an effect on incidence over 15 years. They wrote:
"Based on benefits, harms, and burdens of screening, the panel inferred that most informed individuals with a 15-year risk of colorectal cancer of 3% or higher are likely to choose screening, and most individuals with a risk of below 3% are likely to decline screening. Given varying values and preferences, optimal care will require shared decision making."
The team determined that the risks associated with colorectal cancer screening outweighed the benefits in many cases. For instance, the risk of death from a colonoscopy from one source was 1 in 16,318 procedures evaluated.
In the same analysis, the researchers also found 82 suffered serious complications.

Colonoscopies Are Not Risk Free

Although a colonoscopy is supposed to help find early tumor growth, one study reported a 17% rate of missed diagnosis.
Other risks associated with a colonoscopy include worsening stool patterns and contributing to the growth of colorectal polyps or tumors.

Perforation of the colon during the exam has an incidence of 0.2% to 5% and is widely recognized as a serious complication associated with a high morbidity and mortality rate.
The risk of perforation rises with the age of the patient and the presence of two or more other health conditions. One study showed 51.9 people per 1,000 whose colons were perforated died within the first 14 days.

Dysbiosis may occur after using harsh laxatives to prepare for a colonoscopy. A study published in Cell
suggested even a short-term course of laxative use could trigger an immune response. Research on an animal model
found treatment eliminated one family of beneficial gut bacteria and allowed another to flourish. Even two weeks after completing the laxatives the bacteria showed reduced diversity.

Many experts agree you should opt for the lightest level of sedation possible, or none at all, as full anesthesia increases risks. Those who have sleep apnea, are obese, have high blood pressure or diabetes are at increased risk from the anesthesia.
Across the U.S. 34.4% of those undergoing a colonoscopy used anesthesia.

The use of anesthesia was associated with a 13% increased risk of experiencing complications within 30 days of the procedure and specifically associated with an increased risk of perforations of the colon and/or a stroke. The risk of complications varied by area, with those in the Northeast reporting an increase of any complication of 12%, but among those performed in the West this increased to 60%.
Researchers who conducted one study found an increased risk of aspiration pneumonia.
Another
sought to determine if the procedure could be successfully completed without any sedation. Patients were given the option of undergoing a colonoscopy without premedication and then evaluated immediately following the procedure, two and five days later.

The researchers asked about the severity of pain and willingness to consider the procedure again without sedation. When questioned, only 5% experienced no pain; 41% had mild pain; 34% reported moderate pain and 20% said they experienced severe pain. However, despite the level of pain experienced, 73% were willing to repeat it without sedation and only 18% said they would request sedation the next time.

Equipment Contamination Another Risk of Colonoscopies

Download Interview Transcript
A real risk of undergoing an endoscopy of any nature is chance of improper sterilization of the flexible scope. David Lewis, Ph.D., and I discuss this in the short video above. One issue is the inability to thoroughly clean the inside of the scope.
Lewis describes a problem that he states is commonly experienced by physicians. During the examination the physician may be unable to see through the scope and is unsuccessful in the attempt to flush it using the air/water channel as it is clogged with human tissue from a past exam.
The scope must be retracted and another one used.

Since endoscopes have sensitive equipment attached, they cannot be heat sterilized. Unfortunately, manufacturers have not been made to produce a scope with the ability to be heat sterilized. As Lewis points out:
"We can put a Rover on Mars, surely we can build a flexible endoscope that we can put in an autoclave."

These expensive tools are not disposable but require sterilization between each patient. Lewis reports that up to 80% of hospitals are sterilizing the flexible endoscopes with glutaraldehyde (Cidex). On testing, he finds this has complicated the process as it does not dissolve tissue in the endoscope but rather preserves it.
When sharp biopsy tools are run through the tube, patient material from past testing is scraped off and potentially carried into your body. This is why it's important to find a clinic or hospital that uses peracetic acid to thoroughly sterilize the equipment by dissolving proteins found in the flexible endoscopes. Before scheduling any endoscopic examination call to ask how the equipment is sterilized between patients.

Tailor Lifestyle Choices to Reduce the Risk of Colon Cancer

Like many other types of cancer, colorectal cancer is often preventable. Research suggests only 5% to 10% of all cancer cases are due to genetic defects, while the rest are linked to environmental and lifestyle factors.
The Mayo Clinic writes that one-third of the most diagnosed cancers in the U.S. could be prevented through diet and nutrition alone, i.e., with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.

The extent that diet contributes to cancer death varies by the type of cancer, which researchers find is associated by as much as 70% in the case of colorectal cancer.
For example, long-term exposure to chlorinated drinking water can increase the risk of leukemia, colorectal cancer and bladder cancer.

There are several strategies you can use to lower your risk of developing this potentially deadly disease as it is impacted by your diet, vitamin D levels, exercise and alcohol intake.

Access this content 48 hours faster by subscribing to the FREE Mercola Health Newsletter today.​

Subscribe to Mercola Newsletter
Disclaimer: The entire contents of this website are based upon the opinions of Dr. Mercola, unless otherwise noted. Individual articles are based upon the opinions of the respective author, who retains copyright as marked.
The information on this website is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice. It is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from the research and experience of Dr. Mercola and his community. Dr. Mercola encourages you to make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional. The subscription fee being requested is for access to the articles and information posted on this site, and is not being paid for any individual medical advice.
If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your health care professional before using products based on this content.

American Cancer Society Cancer Facts and Figures 2022
American Cancer Society, What Is Colorectal Cancer
American Cancer Society, Key Statistics For Colorectal Cancer
Colorectal Cancer Alliance, Determine Your Risk and Practice Prevention
The BMJ, 2019;367: l5515
MedicalXpress, October 2, 2019
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
The BMJ, 2019;367: l5515 Abstract
Annals of Internal Medicine 2006 Dec 19;145(12):880
Annals of Gastroenterology, 2015;28(1):94
World of Gastroenterology, 2010;16(4):425 Introduction
Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 2003;95(3):230
Cell, 2018;173(7):p1742
Nature, June 19, 2018
Medical News Today, January 5, 2018
Gastroenterology, 2015;doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2015.12.018
JAMA, 2013;173(7):551
Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, 1998;26(4):279
Bitchute
Bitchute
Pharmaceutical Research, 2008;25(9):2097
Mayo Clinic
original article comments

OP
L

leeteeh

Leeteeh: I grabbed this article for you from Mercola.com/substack. I do not know about other countries procedures. Though you could inquire regarding these 2 cleaning chemicals.

Dr. Mercola's Censored Library (Private Membership)

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack.com%2Fimg%2Favatars%2Forange.png

Is a Colonoscopy Worth the Risk?​

There are several pitfalls associated with a colonoscopy, not the least of which is death. One international team of experts weighed the evidence to determine the risk-benefit ratio.​

DR. JOSEPH MERCOLA
JUL 8, 2022
∙ PAID

is colonoscopy worth the risk

STORY AT-A-GLANCE

• Based on the evidence, an international team of experts is recommending routine colonoscopies only if you have a 3% potential of developing a growth in the next 15 years. If it is less, then the pitfalls associated with the procedure are not worth the risks
  • One study found a 17% risk of a missed cancer diagnosis with a colonoscopy. Other risks include perforation of the colon, which is raised when you have anesthesia with the procedure, gut microbial imbalance from preparation for the procedure, equipment contamination from improper sterilization between patients and death from complications
  • David Lewis, Ph.D., states that up to 80% of hospitals sterilize their endoscopes with glutaraldehyde (Cidex), which exacerbates the issue by preserving human tissue in the endoscope picked up during the procedure. The best method of sterilizing the equipment to date is peracetic acid, which will dissolve protein tissue and clear the endoscope
  • You may significantly reduce your risk of colorectal cancer by making lifestyle changes, including reducing or eliminating alcohol and smoking, maintaining a normal weight, eating a high fiber diet and exercising consistently
Knowing your potential risk for developing cancer can help you weigh the risks against the benefits of different tests for your situation. According to the American Cancer Society,
more than 16.9 million people in the U.S. have a history of cancer. At least 1.9 million new cases will be diagnosed in 2022, which does not include a diagnosis of carcinoma in situ (noninvasive cancer).

The society estimates 609,360 people will die from cancer in 2022, which is about 1,670 deaths per day. The four most common types include lung, breast, prostate and colorectal cancer. One of the screening tests commonly prescribed to rule out colorectal cancer is a colonoscopy.
Colorectal cancer can start in the colon or in the rectum but the two types are grouped together since they have many of the same characteristics.
The society estimates that in 2022 there will be 106,180 new cases of colon cancer diagnosed and 44,850 new cases of rectal cancer. Although it remains the third leading cause of cancer-related deaths in men and women, the rate has been dropping for several decades.

According to the Colorectal Cancer Alliance,
the five-year survival rate has been rising and there are more than 1 million colorectal cancer survivors alive in the U.S. Knowing your risk factors and making lifestyle changes to prevent the development of colorectal cancer are the basis of the most recently published Rapid Recommendation of The BMJ initiative.

In Many Cases Routine Colonoscopies Are Unnecessary

The 2019 practice guidelines published in The BMJ
recommend physicians use a tool to estimate an individual's potential risk for developing colorectal cancer in the next 15 years. The team recommends that only those who have a risk of 3% or greater should undergo screening tests.

Current guidelines recommend screening for everyone over the age of 50, without regard to their individual risk. At the age of 50, this is typically less than 3%.
The international panel reviewed scientific evidence and research data to evaluate the risks versus the benefits of colonoscopies.

They found their recommendations could accurately be applied to healthy people from 50 to 79 years who expected to live another 15 years. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends colorectal cancer screening for those over 50.

Using data from across the U.S., they found the number who were up to date with their screening went up 1.4% from 2016 to 2018, representing an additional 3.5 million people.
In addition to asking if screening made a difference in health outcomes, The BMJ initiative team also attempted to differentiate the type of testing best used to screen for colorectal cancer.
They recommended that those with a 3% risk or greater over the following 15 years could choose from one of four screening options.

The first was a fecal immunochemical test (FIT) done every year, or every two years depending upon their risk factors. Patients may also choose a single sigmoidoscopy or, the weakest recommendation from the team, a single colonoscopy.

Possibility of Cancer Compared to Screening Hazards

From their examination of the evidence, the team believed a yearly FIT, sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy could reduce the incidence of cancer while a FIT every two years may not have an effect on incidence over 15 years. They wrote:

The team determined that the risks associated with colorectal cancer screening outweighed the benefits in many cases. For instance, the risk of death from a colonoscopy from one source was 1 in 16,318 procedures evaluated.
In the same analysis, the researchers also found 82 suffered serious complications.

Colonoscopies Are Not Risk Free

Although a colonoscopy is supposed to help find early tumor growth, one study reported a 17% rate of missed diagnosis.
Other risks associated with a colonoscopy include worsening stool patterns and contributing to the growth of colorectal polyps or tumors.

Perforation of the colon during the exam has an incidence of 0.2% to 5% and is widely recognized as a serious complication associated with a high morbidity and mortality rate.
The risk of perforation rises with the age of the patient and the presence of two or more other health conditions. One study showed 51.9 people per 1,000 whose colons were perforated died within the first 14 days.

Dysbiosis may occur after using harsh laxatives to prepare for a colonoscopy. A study published in Cell
suggested even a short-term course of laxative use could trigger an immune response. Research on an animal model
found treatment eliminated one family of beneficial gut bacteria and allowed another to flourish. Even two weeks after completing the laxatives the bacteria showed reduced diversity.

Many experts agree you should opt for the lightest level of sedation possible, or none at all, as full anesthesia increases risks. Those who have sleep apnea, are obese, have high blood pressure or diabetes are at increased risk from the anesthesia.
Across the U.S. 34.4% of those undergoing a colonoscopy used anesthesia.

The use of anesthesia was associated with a 13% increased risk of experiencing complications within 30 days of the procedure and specifically associated with an increased risk of perforations of the colon and/or a stroke. The risk of complications varied by area, with those in the Northeast reporting an increase of any complication of 12%, but among those performed in the West this increased to 60%.
Researchers who conducted one study found an increased risk of aspiration pneumonia.
Another
sought to determine if the procedure could be successfully completed without any sedation. Patients were given the option of undergoing a colonoscopy without premedication and then evaluated immediately following the procedure, two and five days later.

The researchers asked about the severity of pain and willingness to consider the procedure again without sedation. When questioned, only 5% experienced no pain; 41% had mild pain; 34% reported moderate pain and 20% said they experienced severe pain. However, despite the level of pain experienced, 73% were willing to repeat it without sedation and only 18% said they would request sedation the next time.

Equipment Contamination Another Risk of Colonoscopies

Download Interview Transcript
A real risk of undergoing an endoscopy of any nature is chance of improper sterilization of the flexible scope. David Lewis, Ph.D., and I discuss this in the short video above. One issue is the inability to thoroughly clean the inside of the scope.
Lewis describes a problem that he states is commonly experienced by physicians. During the examination the physician may be unable to see through the scope and is unsuccessful in the attempt to flush it using the air/water channel as it is clogged with human tissue from a past exam.
The scope must be retracted and another one used.

Since endoscopes have sensitive equipment attached, they cannot be heat sterilized. Unfortunately, manufacturers have not been made to produce a scope with the ability to be heat sterilized. As Lewis points out:
"We can put a Rover on Mars, surely we can build a flexible endoscope that we can put in an autoclave."

These expensive tools are not disposable but require sterilization between each patient. Lewis reports that up to 80% of hospitals are sterilizing the flexible endoscopes with glutaraldehyde (Cidex). On testing, he finds this has complicated the process as it does not dissolve tissue in the endoscope but rather preserves it.
When sharp biopsy tools are run through the tube, patient material from past testing is scraped off and potentially carried into your body. This is why it's important to find a clinic or hospital that uses peracetic acid to thoroughly sterilize the equipment by dissolving proteins found in the flexible endoscopes. Before scheduling any endoscopic examination call to ask how the equipment is sterilized between patients.

Tailor Lifestyle Choices to Reduce the Risk of Colon Cancer

Like many other types of cancer, colorectal cancer is often preventable. Research suggests only 5% to 10% of all cancer cases are due to genetic defects, while the rest are linked to environmental and lifestyle factors.
The Mayo Clinic writes that one-third of the most diagnosed cancers in the U.S. could be prevented through diet and nutrition alone, i.e., with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.

The extent that diet contributes to cancer death varies by the type of cancer, which researchers find is associated by as much as 70% in the case of colorectal cancer.
For example, long-term exposure to chlorinated drinking water can increase the risk of leukemia, colorectal cancer and bladder cancer.

There are several strategies you can use to lower your risk of developing this potentially deadly disease as it is impacted by your diet, vitamin D levels, exercise and alcohol intake.

Access this content 48 hours faster by subscribing to the FREE Mercola Health Newsletter today.​

Subscribe to Mercola Newsletter
Disclaimer: The entire contents of this website are based upon the opinions of Dr. Mercola, unless otherwise noted. Individual articles are based upon the opinions of the respective author, who retains copyright as marked.
The information on this website is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice. It is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from the research and experience of Dr. Mercola and his community. Dr. Mercola encourages you to make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional. The subscription fee being requested is for access to the articles and information posted on this site, and is not being paid for any individual medical advice.
If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your health care professional before using products based on this content.

American Cancer Society Cancer Facts and Figures 2022
American Cancer Society, What Is Colorectal Cancer
American Cancer Society, Key Statistics For Colorectal Cancer
Colorectal Cancer Alliance, Determine Your Risk and Practice Prevention
MedicalXpress, October 2, 2019
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
The BMJ, 2019;367: l5515 Abstract
Annals of Internal Medicine 2006 Dec 19;145(12):880
Annals of Gastroenterology, 2015;28(1):94
World of Gastroenterology, 2010;16(4):425 Introduction
Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 2003;95(3):230
Cell, 2018;173(7):p1742
Nature, June 19, 2018
Medical News Today, January 5, 2018
Gastroenterology, 2015;doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2015.12.018
JAMA, 2013;173(7):551
Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, 1998;26(4):279
Bitchute
Bitchute
Mayo Clinic
original article comments
Thank you so much this is some great information I greatly appreciate it.
I’m just uncertain as I’m having a few issues that point to digestive issues such as pain, some blood and mucus and would hate to ignore it and it be something very serious. I’ve written a couple of posts but I think il do another containing all latest details and symptoms.
Thanks again!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals