11 year olds, huge constipation issues

Peater

Ah ok. The whole thing is pale, grey/white/yellow-ish with some very white spots here and there..
I second the poster that mentioned bile then. A long time ago i tried NOW Super Enzymes and found it a good supplement for digestion etc. Not trying to throw too much at you but at least there are a few affordable options you can try and if no improvement you haven't lost anything.

mostlylurking

Hi! I have twin boys that's 11 years old. They were born premature in week 29.
Ever since they were born, they've had trouble with constipation. They don't seem to have stomach pain, they rarely complain. But their stool is really large, I mean huge! And the problem seems to get worse with age. They eat mostly peat friendly, but it doesn't help.
I spent an hour this evening unclogging the toilet after my son went to the toilet. Their feces is 5 times larger than mine, at least, and they often clog the toilet.. They also seem to have trouble holding gas inside, and that can be quite embarrassing for them..

Cascara helps a bit, nothing else does. But I don't feel comfortable giving them cascara too often. The problem seems to be the size of the stool, it's really huge.. It can get as big as 8+ cm in diameter, bigger than a zucchini. It seems like the stool is getting clogged in their intestines, growing, until it's too big and forced out..

I've been told by doctors that there is nothing they can do about it, but it has never been properly checked. I don't want to risk colonoscopy. The problem is getting worse and I really want this to be checked properly. Anyone have any suggestions to what I should do? How should I get this checked without colonoscopy? Since they both have the same problem, I guess it's a side effect of being born very prematurely or something. It doesn't seem to be much affected by what they eat, I feel like there is something wrong with their colon or something..
also:
Serotonin could be a problem, they have been diagnosed with adhd and they have developmental difficulties, near autistic..
I know I keep pointing out the idea of a thiamine deficiency/functional blockage as potentially the problem but there are a few things here that point to it: constipation, adhd, autism, antibiotic use early on. Many antibiotics block thiamine function.

suggested reading:
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale's book

Eating a "Peat friendly" diet means different things to different people. A lot of people think that it means it's fine to eat sugar and sugary things. But sugar consumption can exacerbate a thiamine problem.

dreamcatcher

Hi! I have twin boys that's 11 years old. They were born premature in week 29.
Ever since they were born, they've had trouble with constipation. They don't seem to have stomach pain, they rarely complain. But their stool is really large, I mean huge! And the problem seems to get worse with age. They eat mostly peat friendly, but it doesn't help.
I spent an hour this evening unclogging the toilet after my son went to the toilet. Their feces is 5 times larger than mine, at least, and they often clog the toilet.. They also seem to have trouble holding gas inside, and that can be quite embarrassing for them..

Cascara helps a bit, nothing else does. But I don't feel comfortable giving them cascara too often. The problem seems to be the size of the stool, it's really huge.. It can get as big as 8+ cm in diameter, bigger than a zucchini. It seems like the stool is getting clogged in their intestines, growing, until it's too big and forced out..

I've been told by doctors that there is nothing they can do about it, but it has never been properly checked. I don't want to risk colonoscopy. The problem is getting worse and I really want this to be checked properly. Anyone have any suggestions to what I should do? How should I get this checked without colonoscopy? Since they both have the same problem, I guess it's a side effect of being born very prematurely or something. It doesn't seem to be much affected by what they eat, I feel like there is something wrong with their colon or something..
Cyproheptadine (Periactin) 0.5mg daily. It worked wonders for my now 10 year old child. She only had bowel movements every 5 days or so when she was smaller and cyproheptadine normalised it.

D

Doer

Have you ever heard of Ray Peat?
Sooooo many things wrong with you. Lets just ignore that Ray Peat appears to have changed his opinion on fiber the last few months before his death (listen to the podcasts that hes mentioning his oat bran consumption).
Do you think Peat was never wrong? Why not try to challenge my arguments with something else other than to the appeal of poor Ray's authority which im sure he would despise.
The OP already mentioned that the kids are also eating mostly Peat friendly yet it doesnt seem to treat the issue. What should we do? OF COURSE THROW MORE PEAT STUFF IN THERE. And treat everyone that tries to offer an alternative solution with irony.

You people need to understand that fiber will make you feel bad in the beginning as it will cause more bile dumping, which it will of grab onto leading you to poop it out, eventually getting rid toxicity but in the meantime its a PROCESS which you need to stick to for a few months at least. You cant get better without feeling worse. Those of you who avoid fiber are just turning a blind eye to the issue by shutting down bile production but ultimately the toxicity isnt leaving your body so you just end up storing inside of you until you get really severe disease and abandon what we call a peaty diet. I kindly urge everyone gere to just add more fiber into their diet and stick with it for AT LEAST 1 year. Of course you will be seeing results before that but the mind blowing stuff will happen later on.
Especially you Peater, my friend, i urge you to speak with more people from this forum who have abandoned the Peat diet (i assure you they are many) and substituted it with a higher fiber/lower fructose/lower sugar/lower fat diet to get a gist of their miraculous results.

Wish you all the best!

Jonk

Thank you.

I don't think exercise makes any difference, never noticed improvements in active periods.
Today I asked them more about their constipation issues, and one of my sons (the most constipated one) told me that his stool was white today.. He said that it has been white a couple of times recently. That made me even more worried, never experienced that before.. And if I google it, I find all sorts of scary reasons to why it could be white/yellow. Should I maybe take him to the doctor? Anyone have any idea what can cause this??
The most common allergens I think are dairy and gluten, so might be worth to stop dairy for a few days to see if it makes a difference. Also making sure they get calcium from some other source if you decide to try it

VonKeister

I had severe constipation from taking too much vitamin D3 and zinc but a regular sleeping and feeding schedule is probably the most important thing for having regular shits. Red light, honey and thyroid also helped me several times

EJG2112

I had similar constipation issues at their age and am still prone to constipation. Dairy is horribly constipating for me. I suspect it is the main issue for your guys as well. Fruits and vegetables to a lesser extent provide a gentle, yet noticeable laxative effect for me. I suggest:

1. Sufficient magnesium and potassium intake via fruits and well cooked vegetables
2. Additional magnesium supplementation if needed. I use natural calm power or gummies
3. A reduction or elimination, if necessary, of dairy as well. If elimination is needed, then provide eggshell calcium as a calcium substitute.
4. Avoid low carb diets - A low-carb diet caused the worst constipation of my life.
5. Encourage outdoor activities. Any physical activity they enjoy, even nature walks. Let them soak in as much sunlight sunlight as possible for natural vitamin D.

Regarding the possible clogging of the toilet due to excess toilet paper. Poor digestion causes the need for more wiping, so fixing the diet will lead to less tp needed. Dairy and starches (grains) are the usual culprits.

I hope they find relief soon and please update with what has helped them.

frannybananny

- Dulcolax to get it out.

- TummyZyme chewables which are digestive enzymes and probiotics to balance out digestion. Read reviews. Constipated get better, loose tools get better. I take them as an adult and it has improved lifelong gerd quite a bit in just a couple of weeks. And now all of a sudden I can eat eggs, avocados, milk.. it's astounding, really.
Hi.... as I recall you suggested to me the KidGreenz chewable enzyme tablet by Nature's Plus in their line of kids vitamins called Animal parade....? Did I get the wrong ones? I got the ones you showed me the link to... I will look up the TummyZyme.

Jennifer

Pale stools mean high bile levels not low bile.

I’m not sure what you mean by high bile levels but by low bile, I mean a lack of bile in stools:

“Bile salts in the intestines give stool its usual brown color. If your poop color is light (either pale, white, grey, or clay-colored), there could be a lack of bile in the stool. A blockage of the bile ducts from gallstones, or a condition affecting your gallbladder, liver, or pancreas, can cause decreased bile output.”

“Stool is typically brown due to the digestion of bile salts, which are made by the liver and stored in the gallbladder. Without enough bile salt, however, stool can be pale or even white. White stool can occur with liver disease or problems with the bile ducts.”

“White stool isn't normal and should be evaluated promptly by a doctor. White or clay-like stool is caused by a lack of bile, which may indicate a serious underlying problem.

Bile is a digestive fluid produced by the liver and stored in the gallbladder. Stool gets its normal brownish color from bile, which is excreted into the small intestine during the digestive process. If the liver doesn't produce bile or if bile is obstructed from leaving the liver, stool will be light colored or white.”

“Light-colored, white or clay-colored—a lack of bile in stool. This may indicated a bile duct obstruction.”

Jennifer

Might be low bile.. I don't know his average temps, but he's always been rather warm compared to me. I'm a little hypothyroid, but not enough to get medication for it, but I do take t3 myself and feel better using it. My temps have risen after I started peating and taking tyronene.

Do your sons suffer any other symptoms such as waking during the night needing to pee, cold extremities, anxiety, dry skin and/or other skin conditions such as eczema? Since you are slightly hypothyroid, you may find it useful to check their temps first thing in the morning and after they eat to see if their warmth is the result of good thyroid function or adrenaline compensating for poor thyroid function.

frannybananny

I’m not sure what you mean by high bile levels but by low bile, I mean a lack of bile in stools:

“Bile salts in the intestines give stool its usual brown color. If your poop color is light (either pale, white, grey, or clay-colored), there could be a lack of bile in the stool. A blockage of the bile ducts from gallstones, or a condition affecting your gallbladder, liver, or pancreas, can cause decreased bile output.”

“Stool is typically brown due to the digestion of bile salts, which are made by the liver and stored in the gallbladder. Without enough bile salt, however, stool can be pale or even white. White stool can occur with liver disease or problems with the bile ducts.”

“White stool isn't normal and should be evaluated promptly by a doctor. White or clay-like stool is caused by a lack of bile, which may indicate a serious underlying problem.

Bile is a digestive fluid produced by the liver and stored in the gallbladder. Stool gets its normal brownish color from bile, which is excreted into the small intestine during the digestive process. If the liver doesn't produce bile or if bile is obstructed from leaving the liver, stool will be light colored or white.”

“Light-colored, white or clay-colored—a lack of bile in stool. This may indicated a bile duct obstruction.”

Okay, I stand corrected. For some reason I had learned just the opposite.

Momma

The post started with two 11 year old boys with large stools and no other complaints.
Since they are healthy boys, think about just tweeking their diet vs adding supplements. They are 11.
Getting poop out is good and healthy of course. And maybe their stool size for the amount / type of food they eat is closer to normal than your personal stool size.
Is large thick stools ideal? Probably not maybe?
But if they are happy and developing well- just change the milk and problem solve from there.
My child that had this was a petite little girl. It was shocking, but she outgrew it. I do think it was the dairy in her diet- specifically Dananimals. We simply cut back.
If she couldn’t pass the stool- other intervention was required; but that wasn’t the case.

The one time incedent with the pale stool; keep your eye on. Simply removing the dairy or changing it’s source can remedy that as well.

Hope your fiancé is doing better as well with his headaches and stomach issues iirc.

Jennifer

Okay, I stand corrected. For some reason I had learned just the opposite.
No worries, franny. :) I wasn’t sure if by high bile levels you meant something along the lines of bile not being excreted and it accumulating in the gallbladder.

HeyThere

Hi.... as I recall you suggested to me the KidGreenz chewable enzyme tablet by Nature's Plus in their line of kids vitamins called Animal parade....? Did I get the wrong ones? I got the ones you showed me the link to... I will look up the TummyZyme.

Strange since I didn't link anything. Yes, I wrote TummyZyme. You can also try pineapple and papaya to start off with until the TummyZyme arrives. Really hope it helps them.

And to whomever is asking about grey stools, that is classic gallbladder. Lack of bile. Try taking bitters with food.

ivy

My experience with IBS tells me that well-formed stool is preferable to watery stool. If stool is well-formed, food has been better digested and absorbed; but if it stays too long in your bowels, it becomes dry and hard to pass. Take a look at the Bristol Stool Chart and assess for yourself. AFAIK, your children have absolutely no need for colonoscopies or other intrusions, but they might need less potatoes, more carrots and salads and more greens in general. Leafy greens like spinach and watercress have very low starch and are easy to digest. Daily soups would help them stay hydrated and nourished. They might also need enzymes or probiotics. My experience with probiotics has been pretty positive. At the moment, three or four times a year I use Nutergia Ergyphilus HPy, which contains these 5 strains:

Lactobacillus reuteri DSM 23878
Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG ATCC 53103
Lactobacillus acidophilus DSM 21717
Lactobacillus pentosus DSM 21980
Bifidobacterium bifidum DSM 22892

The Nutergia Brand has quite a variety of probiotics and a children's version, Ergyphilus Enfants, but I am a little suspicious of this mix:

Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG ATCC 53103
Lactobacillus fermentum CECT 5716
Bifidobacterium infantis DMS 24687

Now, one must keep in mind that the colon is smooth muscle and bowel movements are highly impacted by stress. To improve persistalsis, your boys might need a lot of relaxing, GABA-inducing activities. Time spent outside and quality time with animals and people they love will probably benefit them. Cuddling is probably a no-no for them at this age, but I suspect it would also be helpful. If despite higher greens, probiotics and lifestyle changes slow transit and gas problems persist, I would advise you to research FODMAPS thoroughly.

trance

Heavy dairy + no fiber Peatard diet was a recipe for constipation for me

Nokoni

When all else fails, rectally administered glycerol (glycerine, glycerin) is remarkably effective. Fleet sells a glycerol suppository or just some glycerol on the tip of a finger inserted rectally. (Finger cots improve hygiene.)

HeyThere

When all else fails, rectally administered glycerol (glycerine, glycerin) is remarkably effective. Fleet sells a glycerol suppository or just some glycerol on the tip of a finger inserted rectally. (Finger cots improve hygiene.)

And coconut oil which is also antibacterial (the soap is as well)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals