Body Odor

lvysaur

being in ketosis made me stink.

Definitely agree.

Eating meat also makes me "stink" (as in, it makes me have some body odor, as opposed to none at all)

milk, sugar, fruit, and a bit of meat and starch makes me smell-free.

poilochio

I understand that I can use baking soda, or something else. But I am curious, does very bad body odor, under the armpits, point to any issues? My state of health is currently bad, and I am wondering if this is a telling sign of anything. Deficient anything? Excess of something?

Milk of magnesia ...end of story.... listen all my life i have suffered from bad armpit smell...nothing worked except smearing some milk of magnesia on ... it's a game changer .. lasts all day sometimes even a day later

Luann

@poilochio @marcar72 @shepherdgirl
since getting some body odor I tried zinc, magnesium, adding more salt to food, and an extra aspirin a day. also the zinc lozenge i take has baking soda in it, just a small amount, but maybe that helps too.
since taking this stuff, not in excess but just to get enough of it, my smell has been going away! :)

EIRE24

@poilochio @marcar72 @shepherdgirl
since getting some body odor I tried zinc, magnesium, adding more salt to food, and an extra aspirin a day. also the zinc lozenge i take has baking soda in it, just a small amount, but maybe that helps too.
since taking this stuff, not in excess but just to get enough of it, my smell has been going away! :)
What brand are the zinc lozenges? I'm thinking of taking these instead of eating oysters to help my acne as zinc is very important for it but I don't like the texture or taste of oysters.

Luann

@EIRE24
Nature's Way Zinc with Echinacia and vit c, but I stopped taking them because of the vitamin c
"The alteration of production processes in vitamin E manufacture when the
evil soybean monopoly bought the industry from Eastman Chemical is
analogous to what happened earlier in the vitamin C industry, as profits
were maximized. The dramatic vitamin C studies in the 1930s often used
only 15 or 25 milligrams per day. In 1953, my first experience with it
(which was still sold as "cevitamic acid")involved 50 mg per day, and
over a period of just 2 or 3 days, my chronic awful poison oak allergy
disappeared. Up until this time, it was still too expensive to sell in
large doses. Around 1955 or '56, new manufacturing methods made it cheap
(and, for some reason, the name changed from cevitamic to ascorbic) and
the average tablet went up to 500 mg. The first time I tried the new
form, around 1956, I developed allergy symptoms within a couple of days.
Over the next 20 years, my own increased sensitivity to synthetic
ascorbate led me to look for such reactions in others. The same
people who reacted to it often reacted similarly to riboflavin and
rutin, which were also made from cornstarch by oxidation. I ascribed the
reaction to some industrial contaminant that they had in common,
possibly the heavy metals introduced with the sulfuric acid. The heavy
metal contamination of synthetic ascorbate is so great that one 500 mg
tablet dissolved in a liter of water produces free radicals at a rate
that would require a killing dose of x-rays to equal. The only clean and
safe vitamin C now available is that in fresh fruits, meats, etc. The
commercial stuff is seriously dangerous."
Linus Pauling May Have Been Vindicated - Vitamin C May Treat Cancer

Amazoniac

deodorizing (Hello chlorophyll!)

https://www.westonaprice.org/health...itional-adjuncts-to-the-fat-soluble-vitamins/

"As described below, the synergistic action of the fat-soluble trio depends on support from other nutrients like magnesium, zinc, fat and carbohydrate, as well as important metabolic factors such as carbon dioxide and thyroid hormone.

Magnesium and the Fat-Soluble Vitamins
Magnesium contributes to more than three hundred specific chemical reactions that occur within our bodies, including every reaction that depends on ATP, the universal energy currency of our cells.13 Magnesium also activates the enzyme that makes copies of DNA, as well as the enzyme that makes RNA, which is responsible for translating the codes contained within our genes into the production of every protein within our body. This process of translating the DNA code in order to produce proteins is called “gene expression.”

Vitamins A and D carry out most of their functions by regulating gene expression, which means they rely directly on magnesium to carry out these functions. They also rely indirectly on magnesium because our cells can only produce their receptors and all the proteins with which they interact with the assistance of this critical mineral.

The well-studied interaction of magnesium with vitamin D and calcium provides an illustrative example.13 Magnesium is required for both steps in the activation of vitamin D to calcitriol, the form of vitamin D that regulates gene expression and stimulates calcium absorption. Even fully activated vitamin D (calcitriol), however, is useless in the absence of magnesium. Humans who are deficient in magnesium have low blood levels of both calcitriol and calcium, but treating them with calcitriol does nothing to restore calcium levels to normal. The only way to normalize calcium levels in these subjects is to provide them with sufficient magnesium. Magnesium also supports the cellular pumps that keep most calcium out of our soft tissue cells and make it available for the extracellular matrix of bones and teeth.

Altogether, these findings suggest that vitamins A and D can only fulfill their functions in the presence of adequate magnesium. As can be seen in Table 1, magnesium is abundant in many whole grains, nuts, seeds, legumes, and vegetables, some fruit, and some seafood. It is less abundant in meat, by contrast, and almost entirely absent from refined grains and sugar.14 Thus, we would expect a well-rounded diet devoid of “the displacing foods of modern commerce” to be rich in magnesium and thereby support the synergistic action of the fat-soluble vitamins."​

Garrett Smith:

Excess calcium and iron are connected again, another piece of the "limescale and rust" theory of disease.

What is the main tool I use to bring down high hair (tissue) calcium levels? Vitamin A, as in the animal form, retinol (a member of the retinoid family). Carotenoids are pre-Vitamin A, they are not the same but must be converted in the liver, and may actually increase the absorption of iron from food (NOT a reason to avoid fruits/veg!).

Does Vitamin A have any positive effects on iron, since all these seem to be so connected (Vitamin A, Vitamin D, calcium, iron)??? Apparenty it does:
Suppressive Effects of Retinoids on Iron-Induced Oxidative Stress in the Liver
Suppressive Effects of Retinoids on Iron-Induced Oxidative Stress in the Liver - ScienceDirect
"Results - Hepatic iron accumulation and increased expression of hemojuvelin were observed in RAR-E Tg mouse liver. Retinoid treatment significantly suppressed expression of hemojuvelin and mildly suppressed expression of transferrin receptor type 2 and hepcidin, accompanied by decreased hepatic iron content and iron-induced oxidative stress in vitro and in vivo. Overexpression of hemojuvelin in HuH7 hepatoma cells led to a significant increase in cellular iron content.

Conclusions - Our results suggest that retinoids are involved in hepatic iron metabolism through transcriptional regulation of hemojuvelin. This study demonstrated a novel functional role of retinoids in preventing iron-induced oxidative stress in the liver."

And finally it's probably worth consider ingesting them for effectiveness because:

Jennifer

@Amazoniac – Nice find! Have you found digestion to play a role, also?

I've noticed odor has a lot to do with my digestion. I had an odor develop under my arms while consuming dairy that went away when I started taking Minocycline for the bacterial overgrowth. Baking soda and alcohol based perfumes also made the smell go away so I equated it to excess bacteria since like Mino, BS and alcohol are antibacterial. I used to spray perfume in my hiking boots to kill any odors.

When I dropped the high dairy diet for a fruit and non-starch veggie diet, I still had a faint underarm odor and temperamental digestion. Once I finally dropped the veggies and went total fruitarian, the smell was replaced by a faint, sweet scent, which I equate to my excellent digestion on this diet. I never need deodorant, even when sweating.

Richiebogie

Further to what @Jennifer said, I once tried rubbing butter on my head to see if it would help hair regrowth!

After a while the stench was unbelievable!

I quickly learned this was butyric acid - a saturated fatty acid from decomposed butter fat that smells like vomit and is a prominent chemical in Parmesan cheese.

It occurs naturally in the bowel, but perhaps if you ingest it via dairy products the smell is more likely to come out through your skin!

If you have body odour and love dairy products, try rubbing some butter on your skin to experience this unique perfume directly!

These days I prefer coconut oil!

Last edited:
Baking soda causes massive irritation for me. I don't think raising skin pH is wise, considering natural skin pH is acidic.

Body odor can either be from foods you eat, or from bacteria present in your underarm that metabolize sweat into short chain volatile fatty acids.

If your diet is clean and you have a normal balanced digestive system, then the problem most likely lies with your underarm bacteria.

For removing underarm bacteria, a good method is to use a mix of vinger (WITHOUT the mother) and coconut oil. Shaving or trimming the underarm hair is also good.

I've actually found baths to temporarily kill of all the bacteria. Showers don't do this, no matter how long your underarm is under the water, baths are way more complete in drowning the bacteria.

So a good method is to trim underarm, scrub with warm wet towel, apply melted coconut out and vinegar to underarm, let it sit for 10 minutes, then rest in bath for longer than 10 minutes. Afterward dry underarm and you'll be good.

Also, something to watch out for is clothes. Apparently washing clothes isn't enough to kill of bacteria, according to a study I read. Apparently they can survive and your clothes can develop their own flora.

Stopping sweat seems to be key. It would be great if there was a non-toxic antiperspirant , sadly they all use aluminum.

I read that the majority of Asian populations carry a gene that results in dry earwax and little to no body odor, the reason being they don't sweat a lot in their underarm, resulting in little body odor for those who carry the gene.

Caucasians on the other hand lack this gene, and thus their sweat is consumed by bacteria far more, which is why they can smell garlicky/oniony.

Black people have a similar gene, and generally smell musky.

I have found all of that to generally be true in my experience. I think it would be better if most of humanity had the Asian gene for this one haha. Neoteny!

I find it very interesting that so many people report their body odor vanished after they started eating primarily fruit or milk. Purity.

Amazoniac

Have you found digestion to play a role, also?
Sure. If something constipates me, the body odor intensifies along with it.

natedawggh is fixated on iron and he has some cool points about it on his blog:
Cancer
THIAMINE (B1) helps to raise cellular energy but it can make you smell bad. If this happens it's because thiamine is binding to excess Iron in your tissues and the body excretes waste Iron from the skin to avoid contact with intestinal bacteria.

Amazoniac

Can I Live Off Of Milk And Orange Juice Alone?
I don't think [lactoferrin] removes [iron] from the body. It has higher affinity for iron than transferrin and oral supplementation with lactoferrin has been shown to lower plasma iron and ferritin and increase transferrin. This results in functional iron deficiency even though total body iron stores do not change. Lactoferrin simply shuttles the sequestered iron to the liver or spleen (which may not be desirable at all like you mentioned a few times). So, maybe I should have said that milk can results in tissue iron depletion but accumulation in spleen and liver. For short term problems like infection this may be good but long accumulation of iron in liver and spleen is probably not desirable.

Malic acid in a drink or a couple of apples can take care of the bad odor if consumed as soon as it starts to appear.

spicegirl

You can also use magnesium oil. Very effective for me. I make my own from mag flakes and just put it in a spray bottle...super cheap!

Don't use it right after shaving though, major burning.

hth!

Jennifer

Baking soda causes massive irritation for me. I don't think raising skin pH is wise, considering natural skin pH is acidic.
Yep! I had the same experience when using baking soda on its own. There's definitely a reason why commercial deodorants advertise pH balanced.

spicegirl

So a good method is to trim underarm, scrub with warm wet towel, apply melted coconut out and vinegar to underarm, let it sit for 10 minutes, then rest in bath for longer than 10 minutes. Afterward dry underarm and you'll be good.

Neat point. I just read an "underarm detox" somewhere. I think it was vinegar and Aztec Indian clay, but similar idea.

Also, something to watch out for is clothes. Apparently washing clothes isn't enough to kill of bacteria, according to a study I read. Apparently they can survive and your clothes can develop their own flora.

I LOVE Bac-Out Stain and Odor Remover by BioKleen. I put it in a spray bottle and spray it on the underarms of my "go to" t-shirts. Did I mention that I love it? It works!

Amazoniac

Last edited:

BibleBeliever

Caution on vit D supplementation:
More evidence on the “limescale & rust” theory, Vitamin D supplements directly affect iron metabolism in a bad way!

Regarding the mentioned nightshades, the toxins concentrate in the exposed parts of the plant, not the roots. The ones that are present in the roots are neutralized by cooking. It's about the nightshade fruits.

Very interesting. I note some benefits when taking vitamin d; better heavy lifts, deeper voice, but at the same time after usually 2 days of just 1000 ius I get this really faint feeling that I never experience. Like blood is too thin and almost wanting to faint. Goes away after I stop supplementing vitamin d. Otherwise sometimes it gives calcium deposits that I have to crack out, but taking vitamin k2 usually counters this.

So supposing it is causing iron dis-regulation, which then causes this faint feeling; I wonder what the counter is?

Richiebogie

I read that the majority of Asian populations carry a gene that results in dry earwax and little to no body odor, the reason being they don't sweat a lot in their underarm, resulting in little body odor for those who carry the gene.

Traditional Asian food - at least the rice based dishes of Western China, Vietnam, Thailand etc tend to be dairy-free and use small amounts of meat - eg under 50g per serving per person.

They do not serve 300g steaks, quarter chickens, multiple sausages, milkshakes or pieces of cheese.

I expect these 'genetic' advantages can occur in any human eating less protein. Particularly less animal protein!

Amazoniac

Very interesting. I note some benefits when taking vitamin d; better heavy lifts, deeper voice, but at the same time after usually 2 days of just 1000 ius I get this really faint feeling that I never experience. Like blood is too thin and almost wanting to faint. Goes away after I stop supplementing vitamin d. Otherwise sometimes it gives calcium deposits that I have to crack out, but taking vitamin k2 usually counters this.

So supposing it is causing iron dis-regulation, which then causes this faint feeling; I wonder what the counter is?
Blood is thin or your perception of it from changes in pressure? Have you searched if your experience relates to hypercalcemia? You know from Paul Eck how calcium affects metabolism, when it weakens the pressure tends to decrease.

pepsi

Are you taking any supplements?
I started noticing this really bad underarm smell after I started Taurine.
Lets say I take a shower at night, I would allready start to smell it when I woke up in the morning,
it was so bad I started to worry my kids might notice since
I dont use deoderant unless I'm out and about.

I didnt connect it to taurine until I stopped taurine, and the underarm smell went back to normal with no deoderant,
you know that normal adult underarm smell you can catch a wiff of it if your close but its not strong like youve been
sweating/working hard all day with no deoderant.
Maybe its a supplement your taking?.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals