Body Odor

iLoveSugar

I understand that I can use baking soda, or something else. But I am curious, does very bad body odor, under the armpits, point to any issues? My state of health is currently bad, and I am wondering if this is a telling sign of anything. Deficient anything? Excess of something?

pboy

hmm I think its doesn't necessarily mean that...but it might. Under the arm pits is the most accurate and quick way to see what portion of a food or something else was indigestible and coming out in the sweat, but often if you aren't sweating or showering often things from a day or two before might be lingering. Usually its sulphurous and fermented foods, cultured foods, that are the cause of this, but technically a lot of things could be. Almost certainly not milk sugar or fruit, most else if not digested well could

Doesn't mean youre deficient, just maybe a bit dehydrated (so the smell concentrates), too high protein diet, a sulphruous food....like garlic onion cruciferous vegeaeble, egg white...yolk is usually fine, beans, and other stuff like that...or if you are producing high lactic or uric acid you may smell that, and salt usually
adds a chlorine smell if you consume more than just a few pinches(most of the time, most people do). Doesn't mean youre deficient or theres a problem...just that you might be producing a bit more (fermenting) more than usual due to maybe slow digestion, or just that lack of water is concentrating smell, or it could just be 100% what youre eating....some things cant be avoided producing a smell like the sulphurous above mentioned

fast bowel movements and clear working kidneys usually help prevent anything from staying too long and developing a smell

really though once I stopped eating sulphurous and fermented...no smell

Katty

Could be a sign of magnesium deficiency. Magnesium works well for me... I've heard others say the same. So you can try to take/increase your epsom salt baths. Or spray yourself with magnesium oil. Some people actually spray the oil right onto their armpits, but I think my pits are too sensitive for that since the oil can sting. Or try to supplement magnesium in another way.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Katty said:
Could be a sign of magnesium deficiency. Magnesium works well for me... I've heard others say the same. So you can try to take/increase your epsom salt baths. Or spray yourself with magnesium oil. Some people actually spray the oil right onto their armpits, but I think my pits are too sensitive for that since the oil can sting. Or try to supplement magnesium in another way.

I was thinking of magnesium deficiency as well. I also take thyroid, and cannot react positive to it for the life of me. I have tried magnesium glycinate in the past, never really felt anything.

marcar72

I think that zinc is probably the most important mineral that works against body odor. If you're having trouble with B.O., maybe you've got a mild zinc deficiency. Google "zinc body odor" for some more research. :2cents

Rand56

I also have the body odor effect from Peating. This is my 2nd go round of Peating. Didn't stick with it the first time which I'm assuming is due to my low dopamine. Funny thing is I never noticed getting it the first time. The only thing I'm doing differently this time is I had added in more calcium which I think I needed to do, dues to my previous high phosphorous food intake. Damn I love my steaks and ground beef. Grrr..need to cut back more on them.

The extra Calcium/dairy effect on the odor? Extra detox maybe? I'm getting rank armpit stench even from non-exertion. wtf

Mittir

I think one possibility is peating improved metabolism and sense of smell and
that can result in increased sensitivity to same body odor.
I have noticed my sense of smell varies with my allergy.
A better test would be asking others if one's body odor is getting
better or worse.

Weak digestion is always a cause of body odor and
high protein diet is another well known cause . But, RP diet is not high protein,
unless someone choose to eat large amount of protein without having strong
digestive system. Protein requires stronger digestive power and that is why
RP recommends to consume most protein during the day time.
Pectin in OJ and other fruits can be a source of endotoxin for many.
Hypothyroid people are known to have low acid and digestive juices with
slow peristalsis. I think one would have a smoother transition to RP
if they slowly introduce foods according to their thyroid and digestive status.
Milk and many new foods need several weeks for body to get adjusted.

bradley

What does it smell like? Are you eating a lot of sulfurous food or supplements?

marcar72

I posted earlier about Zinc being important to ward off B.O. and it is. I've recently upped my Magnesium supplementation a bit and I must say that I now have no noticeable B.O. at all, all day long! So Magnesium status is very, very important I'd say. Maybe more so than Zinc even.

I only use a bit of Tom's of Maine deodorant daily without anti-perspirant. It's free of aluminum and PG. I also work a manual labor job and sweat a bit throughout the day so to be B.O. free at the end of the day is saying something! I really think I could go deodorant free and not have any B.O. issues at this point. That is of course with a good shower daily and clean clothes to wear. :2cents

Jennifer

I would get the faintest scent in my underarms by the end of the day that I'd notice because I don't use any deoderant, only rose water. I've been taking minocycline for about a month and a half and was sick recently and didn't bath for three days and I was shocked to find I have absolutely no scent. Not even that faint musk smell that most people will get under their arms. My mom who was also put on minocycline noticed the same thing. I notice quite a few people who start peating tend to have digestion problems, particularly with dairy, so I wouldn't be surprised if a bacterial overgrowth isn't partly to blame for the increased body odor for some.

Sheila

There was also a thread about B1 and body odour which I get (100mg B1 daily) but not every day. I thought it was connected but it's not continuous so must be other factors involved. My current conclusion is that the smell is a heightened metabolism that liver/kidneys can't quite cope with, I have increased zinc (per marcar72) and it seems to disappear, possibly because zinc was mildly deficient and made worse with increased metabolism. I suspect that minocycline treatment would improve liver/kidney function and thus no smell required. It's probably not this simple but this is my experiential thinking so far ie. if you're smelling things are overloaded.

johnwester130

you have leaky gut

fecal particles escape the stomach and into the blood, and are sweated out

leaky gut will be caused by gluten and vaccines and mercury amalgams and dental braces

to repair the gut, supplemental gelatine, glycine, bone broth help

also

b1 - to digest carbs - it may also change body odor
b2 - ribolfavin is ESSENTIAL to heal the mucous lining of the stomach
niacinamide - helps digest carbs

b6 - to digest carbs/ protein
biotin - to digest protein carbs - reduces ammonia body odor caused by b1

zinc/ copper for repair

Some people eat everything and anything and have no body odor.

natedawggh

I understand that I can use baking soda, or something else. But I am curious, does very bad body odor, under the armpits, point to any issues? My state of health is currently bad, and I am wondering if this is a telling sign of anything. Deficient anything? Excess of something?
Actually the underarm is one of the primary sites of iron excretion, through the lymph nodes there. If you are on any supplements which mobilize iron your body is probably excreting it through the skin (this happens to avoid the digestive route and feeding bacteria) but the underarm Bacteria grow more prolifically and are harder to neutralize. Use baking soda topically to get rid of the odor.

johnwester130

Actually the underarm is one of the primary sites of iron excretion, through the lymph nodes there. If you are on any supplements which mobilize iron your body is probably excreting it through the skin (this happens to avoid the digestive route and feeding bacteria) but the underarm Bacteria grow more prolifically and are harder to neutralize. Use baking soda topically to get rid of the odor.

this isn't underarm odor

it's a whole body odor, it smells like I have bowel cancer, it's much worse than underarm sweat

johnwester130

finally, you need the b vitamins to actually digest the food

This is not normal to smell like this, I know I smelt normal but it began when I got dental braces, vaccines and mercury amalgams at 13 years old.
All my friends and I ate the same junk foods, but we all smelt normal.

I must have destroyed something in my gut, and I now believe I developed leaky gut from chronic heavy metal damage,

and the fecal particle literally leak out the intestine and are sweated out.

Luann

do you have any idea how long this iron detox odor could go on? I've been eating low iron and lots of milk and have been getting some odor. Be nice if there was an end in sight.

shepherdgirl

this is probably not relevant for Peatists, but i used to have a paleo style low carb diet, and i noticed that being in ketosis made me stink. i think it could have been by-products of pufa burning. but now i am keeping carbs up throughout the day and so far i don't notice any bo.
Certain supplements might cause bo.
i have heard that magnesium oil, Coconut oil, baking soda, trehalose, and clay are things that can help with body odor. Also maybe charcoal?

I had something similar happen which makes me curious now. Mine led to swollen lymphnodes actually.

I was reading the other day and it can be stimulated by bacteria growth. I would assume it could be from the stomach endotoxin, so maybe give cooked mushrooms / carrot salad a shot for a week and see if this helps.

My swollen lymphnodes sucked and hope you don't get them. I took an antibiotic and it worked itself out.

I have been supplementing brewers yeast lately and notice the same smell when using it...