Thyroid (t3) causes body odor change what is the cause? Should I stop?

Soren

Forum Supporter
Has anyone ever noticed a change in body odor once they have started supplementing thyroid? My body odour has definitely gotten worse since I started which is a shame because before it was never very foul smelling now it smells quite sour and acidic.

I've been supplementing with T3 during the day (8mcg 3-4 times per day) and very small amount of T4 at night and I definitely have stronger body odour it is almost like a sour smell. I'd been supplementing about 21-30mcg of T3 per day.

It is unquestionably being caused by the thyroid supplementation but I don't know if this is a temporary adjustment process that leads to a healthier situation or a sign that I should stop. Could this be some kind of detox?

I thought perhaps it is excess lactic acid, more fat and sugar oxidation? Welcome any thoughts.

P

Peatness

Has anyone ever noticed a change in body odor once they have started supplementing thyroid? My body odour has definitely gotten worse since I started which is a shame because before it was never very foul smelling now it smells quite sour and acidic.

I've been supplementing with T3 during the day (8mcg 3-4 times per day) and very small amount of T4 at night and I definitely have stronger body odour it is almost like a sour smell. I'd been supplementing about 21-30mcg of T3 per day.

It is unquestionably being caused by the thyroid supplementation but I don't know if this is a temporary adjustment process that leads to a healthier situation or a sign that I should stop. Could this be some kind of detox?

I thought perhaps it is excess lactic acid, more fat and sugar oxidation? Welcome any thoughts.
This has happened to me. Elsewhere I have documented my recent blood test after using t3 (tyronene) for 4 months. My serum t3 levels came back high. I too have noticed the change in body odour. I presume this to be adrenaline. Why? I get that strange weird feeling, slightly anxious, a bit like when one has too much coffee. At the same time the feet feels cold. I am now using tyromax instead to see if it helps. If it continues I will stop all thyroid until I can work out how to manage the adrenaline.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
This has happened to me. Elsewhere I have documented my recent blood test after using t3 (tyronene) for 4 months. My serum t3 levels came back high. I too have noticed the change in body odour. I presume this to be adrenaline. Why? I get that strange weird feeling, slightly anxious, a bit like when one has too much coffee. At the same time the feet feels cold. I am now using tyromax instead to see if it helps. If it continues I will stop all thyroid until I can work out how to manage the adrenaline.

Thanks for the feedback. Why do you think tyromax might resolve the problem? The fact that it is a lot more t4 than t3?

Previously whenever I supplemented thyroid in any form I had issues with heart palpitations that I suspect were caused by reverse t caused by high cortisol. When I took stuff to block cortisol thr palpitations stopped. I don't feel like I have high adrenaline at the moment. I think 8mcg per dose of t3 is too high for me. Perhaps I need to go back to higher t4 amount.

For now I am going to stop altogether and use some red light on the thyroid.

P

Peatness

Thanks for the feedback. Why do you think tyromax might resolve the problem? The fact that it is a lot more t4 than t3?

Previously whenever I supplemented thyroid in any form I had issues with heart palpitations that I suspect were caused by reverse t caused by high cortisol. When I took stuff to block cortisol thr palpitations stopped. I don't feel like I have high adrenaline at the moment. I think 8mcg per dose of t3 is too high for me. Perhaps I need to go back to higher t4 amount.

For now I am going to stop altogether and use some red light on the thyroid.
To be honest, I don't know if Tyromax will resolve the issue. I am speculating. My t4 was a little low and the t3 was elevated so I figured if I try increasing t4. My blood pressure remains high and I am having symptoms of fibrosis so I am pretty desperate for something to work. Have you checked kidney function?

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
To be honest, I don't know if Tyromax will resolve the issue. I am speculating. My t4 was a little low and the t3 was elevated so I figured if I try increasing t4. My blood pressure remains high and I am having symptoms of fibrosis so I am pretty desperate for something to work. Have you checked kidney function?

I have not I don't think I have any kidney issues though. My motivation to take thyroid was due to low pulse rate and perhaps some improvement in hair growth and fat loss. I would rather not have to take T3 and I am working to be in a situation where I don't need to. Perhaps I will simply take a few mcg when I am under a lot of stress.

Also after less than 24 hours of not taking t3 my body odor has definitely lessened. Not 100% back to normal but definitely less sour smelling than before.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
A few days and my body odour still has not returned totally normal. I think it has improved but definitely still a bit off.

Hoping it changes back soon I always had very mild body odour before thyroid.

P

Peatness

A few days and my body odour still has not returned totally normal. I think it has improved but definitely still a bit off.

Hoping it changes back soon I always had very mild body odour before thyroid.
Try high dose magnesium for a few days. Taurine might help also.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
Update someone on Danny Roddy podcast asked Ray about this problem. Rays response was to use 10% sulfur soap.

I think the implication was that whatever bacterial change that occurs ok the skin due to taking thyroid can be resolved simply by killing that bacteria with sulfur soap.

In my case this might explain why my body odour has not returned 100% to normal even though I have stopped taking the thyroid the changed bacteria are still living on my skin.

Anyone have any experience with sulfur soap?

P

Peatness

Update someone on Danny Roddy podcast asked Ray about this problem. Rays response was to use 10% sulfur soap.

I think the implication was that whatever bacterial change that occurs ok the skin due to taking thyroid can be resolved simply by killing that bacteria with sulfur soap.

In my case this might explain why my body odour has not returned 100% to normal even though I have stopped taking the thyroid the changed bacteria are still living on my skin.

Anyone have any experience with sulfur soap?
Sulfur soap is very effective, however, the effect is temporary (2 - 3 days). I am not sure how safe continous use of sulfur soap is. When I use it I do so a few times a week.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
Sulfur soap is very effective, however, the effect is temporary (2 - 3 days). I am not sure how safe continous use of sulfur soap is. When I use it I do so a few times a week.
That's what I'm worried about. Will the bacteria and odour just return to how it was before?

For the time when I was using simply NDT I never had this odour problem but I did have very bad heart palpitations which I'm pretty sure was caused by high cortisol. Also NDT did give me problems with Acne but that was fixed with vitamin A

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
Just an update from me. I think the Sulfur soap has definitely worked! Been using it nearly everyday and taking NDT and no body odour issues anymore.

rr1

Just an update from me. I think the Sulfur soap has definitely worked! Been using it nearly everyday and taking NDT and no body odour issues anymore.
Cool thanks for the update. Which brand are you using?

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
Been a while since I updated on this so I still am having issues with body odour, I very rarely use thyroid but when I do the next day I always notice the negative body odour change.

@Pina mentioned that supplementing magnesium could solve the issue I am curious that perhaps because thyroid increases the need for nutrients that it may deplete magnesium which is one of the reasons why it results in body odour. Took a few mcg of t3 and t4 tonight and am going to supplement a decent size dose of magnesium oil tonight and see if it helps.

K

Kaur Singh

A foul, putrid smell is likely polyamines, from (muscle) tissue breakdown.

The sour, acidic one - I think perhaps a fatty acid. it's sticky, and comes out with perspiration
and the scalp of my head.
have to wash it off, or else it stays stuck for days.
At one point I wonder if one of the butyrates,
as my AABA was the only elevated metabolite in blood tests.
and I read it smells like rancid butter.
I had a whiff of a butter dish cleaned with scalding hot water that reminded me of my smell.
Just a thought.

they stay around, the smells

Either way, I think the polyamines point towards catabolism.
So stress response and stress hormones.

and the acidic, sour, pungent one -
anaerobic energy production.
and something going wonk with it

this smell usually appears when I have overdone it, and my HR rises.
It seems more... acute that the polyamines.

Perhaps your thyroid dose it too high?

Or you are pushing beyond your energetic capabilities
i.e. not pacing.

or you need to eat more (protein, carbs)

I have noticed other smells at other points

I guess there's
what does lactic acid emitted from a human body smell like?
is it oily too?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals